X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

I used to watch Star Trek on TV back in the late 1960s when I was a schoolboy. I really enjoyed it then. I haven’t watched any of the TV series since William Shatner left the show and I haven't seen any of the Star Trek films. However I’m a sucker for sci-fi and Rotten Tomatoes gave this new one an 87% rating so I decided to give it a go.

What a waste of time and money. It is corny and clichéd and hackneyed beyond belief, and clearly aimed at children and adults with a mental age of 11. How it dares to call itself science fiction is beyond me. That’s what really annoyed me. It’s just another shoot-em-up action movie that happens to be set on a space ship. Endless noise and gunfire and running around and bumping into things. The only redeeming feature is a sound acting performance from Benedict Cumberbatch. The other members of the cast are forgettable. Did I mention that it’s a load of crap?

Director J.J. Abrams should donate his fee to charity.

Nigel.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Ah, bummer! I thought the first reboot was decent, although not quite up to the "iconic-ness" of the original series, even though it set a totally different tone. I haven't watched this one yet--it'll be on my Netflix queue or something.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I have to, respectfully, disagree entirely with the idea that the movie is either a waste of time and money or has no thematic relationship to Trek as a whole. This review (loaded with spoilers, just FYI) best sums up how I viewed the film (not exactly the same as my take on it, but close enough to save me a lot of typing at this time--should this develop into a longer discussion, I'll be happy to add more thoughts).

Comment

• Silver1omo
        • Sep 2010

I did not watch the original series and movies, but I did enjoy both of the new movies.
        Ivan.
        My Statement monitors

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

I enjoyed the movie.

Nigel, if you haven't seen any of the other TV series, you're doing yourself a major disservice by not at least giving Star Trek: The Next Generation a try. The first two seasons are good, but it really shines big time in seasons 3-7.
          -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Resistance is futile.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
              I have to, respectfully, disagree entirely with the idea that the movie is either a waste of time and money or has no thematic relationship to Trek as a whole. This review (loaded with spoilers, just FYI) best sums up how I viewed the film (not exactly the same as my take on it, but close enough to save me a lot of typing at this time--should this develop into a longer discussion, I'll be happy to add more thoughts).
              Thank you for the link to that detailed and insightful review. I did spot the analogies to modern-day America and the challenges that the US faces but it's done in such a clumsy and ham-fisted way.

I suppose I'm still waiting for a sci-fi film as good as 2001 or Alien, and this one doesn't come close. Sorry if any of my fellow forum members are offended.

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

I'm actually spinning the remastered original TV series episodes lately. I thought at this point that I would laugh at the dated music and the over theatrical acting but I must say......I still enjoy them!. The story writing was really good then!.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
                  Thank you for the link to that detailed and insightful review. I did spot the analogies to modern-day America and the challenges that the US faces but it's done in such a clumsy and ham-fisted way.

I suppose I'm still waiting for a sci-fi film as good as 2001 or Alien, and this one doesn't come close. Sorry if any of my fellow forum members are offended.

Nigel.
                  No offence taken (at least by me).

No Trek film has ever come close to those two, and I stopped expecting anything like that a long time ago. Trek is something I enjoy, like Bond, in large part because I came to them in childhood and I have a strong nostalgic attachment to them. However, I've never bought into the various notions that Trek was anything other than lightweight pop entertainment--just about every "message" episode or theme comes across as "ham-fisted". TOS was never subtle and that's what I like about the new movies--they're gleefully unsubtle, just like the original. Obviously, this is not a universal view and I can certainly understand why people might not be entertained by the new movies. About the only criticism I find unfounded is that the new films are not "real Trek". They have plenty in common with the rest of Trek--particularly TOS. In all the criticisms I've read of the film, it seems, anecdotally, that those who are most disappointed are those who came to Trek via TNG rather than TOS (generally speaking--there are always exceptions). But life is short--if someone doesn't like the new Trek, plenty of other things out there to entertain the masses.

As for a sci-fi film as good as 2001 or Alien--I just pop one or the other Blu-ray into the player when I want that.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

I'm also a long time Star Trek Fan and I have enjoyed everything they produced. I loved all the movies and TV shows alike.
                    The Reboot I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Into the Darkness not as much. Yes it was a good Star Trek Movie with the Usual Cameo type stuff, it was cool with what happened, it was neat how things ended but I really honestly didn't enjoy it as much as all the others.

Still well worth the time watched and I will pick it up on Blu ray and watch it again and probably again.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                      No offence taken (at least by me).

Trek is something I enjoy, like Bond, in large part because I came to them in childhood and I have a strong nostalgic attachment to them. However, I've never bought into the various notions that Trek was anything other than lightweight pop entertainment.
                      You are absolutely right. I take these things too seriously at times. I listen to plenty of lightweight music and get enjoyment from it. I will give Star Trek Into Darkness another spin in due course and wear different coloured spectacles.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Rented this one last night, and I really enjoyed it! Nigel, I do agree with the part of your review that this is mostly an action thriller set in a sci-fi setting, more so than an actual sci-fi film. I also think that Abrams does over-do some elements, such as Kirk being a Maverick at every possible moment. And I think that Abrams more proclaims "Kirk and Spock are the bestie of friends of friends now", more than really making me believe it. But I really liked the movie as a whole. I think the parts were very well acted, even the main villain (which I was worried about) of Khan. Matter of fact, I knew nothing about this film's plot at all, going into it, so I didn't even know he was going to be in this one! But I think they really did a good job of introducing him and creating the fullness of his character. The actor did a great job of portraying the largeness of the character, without trying to outmatch or imitate Ricardo Montalban, which would be hard to do. [Note: I thought I had remembered Khan killing Kirk's son, but I guess I was wrong.] I initially cringed and rolled my eyes when they put this new blonde science officer on the Enterprise, thinking that there were likely going in a predictable direction with the plot, where she would turn out to be an enemy plant inside the crew that would betray the crew and bring about their near-complete demise, similar to... was it Star Trek V where they did that? But... they didn't do what I feared, and took it in a different direction.

As I mentioned in another post above, I thought the first reboot movie lacked a lot of the "iconic-ness" of the original that it is re-telling. But they sure put a lot of that in this film, drawing lots of comparisons with "Wrath of Khan". Interesting choice to make Kirk die this time, a twist instead of Spock, and if nothing else, they certainly came up with a better story for how Kirk came back to life than the original Spock reincarnation. And what the heck? I had NO IDEA that in this film they were going to use a Tribble! That had me howling. Few things to me are more "iconic" of original Trek lore than Tribbles, and that's still one of my all-time favorite original Trek episodes, even though I'm far from being a Trekkie.

Small note, but I do wonder if the little plot door that was left open, is going to be exploited in future films, where the little girl who was sick received a full transfusion vial of Khan's blood. Is she going to become a super-being like Khan and his crew? I kind of doubt it, though, the way that Kirk was brought back to life using an unknown amount of Khan's blood, and McCoy specifically asks him multiple questions along the lines of "do you feel superhuman? Have any homicidal inclinations?" But... because Khan and his crew are back in cryo, there certainly leaves an opening for them to be unfrozen at some point and become villains again.

All in all, I really liked the movie, and appreciate what J.J. Abrams is trying to do with the series now. I just REALLY, really hope that he doesn't put an identical "feel" on the Star Wars series, now that he's been handed the reigns to that one, too. You can only mess with so much, and I have no interest in J.J. making Star Wars in his typical "feel", even if he tries to make Episode VII a "reboot", which I think would be even worse and I don't think would happen anyway. Abrams has taken ownership of "Trek" now, and made the new movies HIS, under the setting of reboots. I like it. I do NOT want him to take ownership of Star Wars. He should view his directorial assignment on SW as being loaned the keys to the castle, and he has the responsibility to mold his movie to the SW universe. NOT the other way around.

Bottom line with this Trek movie, I give a solid :4: out of :5:. I'll probably buy some day way into the future as a complete box set, but likely not until then.
                        Last edited by Chris D; 15 September 2013, 04:38 Sunday.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Oh, man, after posting my review, I went back to Blockbuster to return the movie. This was setting on the checkout counter for sale.

Gene Roddenberry is rolling over in his grave.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Oh my!!! That's JUST WRONG !!!

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
                              I used to watch Star Trek on TV back in the late 1960s when I was a schoolboy. I really enjoyed it then. I haven’t watched any of the TV series since William Shatner left the show and I haven't seen any of the Star Trek films. However I’m a sucker for sci-fi and Rotten Tomatoes gave this new one an 87% rating so I decided to give it a go.

What a waste of time and money. It is corny and clichéd and hackneyed beyond belief, and clearly aimed at children and adults with a mental age of 11. How it dares to call itself science fiction is beyond me. That’s what really annoyed me. It’s just another shoot-em-up action movie that happens to be set on a space ship. Endless noise and gunfire and running around and bumping into things. The only redeeming feature is a sound acting performance from Benedict Cumberbatch. The other members of the cast are forgettable. Did I mention that it’s a load of crap?

Director J.J. Abrams should donate his fee to charity.

Nigel.
                              I spun this on DVD the other day and enjoyed it. There is one point when Kirk is in the radiation chamber that comes across as being stolen from another Star Trek film in a big way no??. Common folks, how about some originality!!??. Other than that, I thought it was well done and engaging. At times, I found the young Spock annoying!. And common folks, Vulcan's DON'T CRY !!. I'll give it 7.5/ 10 stars though.
                              Last edited by Chris D; 21 September 2013, 03:31 Saturday.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

I think the part you mentioned that was "stolen" was pretty on purpose as a nod to other movie/timeline/etc
                                -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

And this half-Vulcan has faced trauma that his original timeline counterpart never even imagined at such a young age, so his more emotional reactions are quite understandable (even in the original series, when we see a Spock much closer in age to the one in the new movies, he is far less in control of his emotions than he became later on).

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Heya, Dan. I put spoiler tags in your post for the critical part there. I can't say for authority, but I'm pretty sure that elements of these movies like you are talking about are done VERY deliberately. And it's not just to make allusions to the original series or movies, although I definitely appreciate that "iconic-ness" that it adds. I think that what Abrams is showing here is that in the first reboot movie, Nero coming back in time created an alternate timeline to the entire Star Trek universe. So many of the same things are destined to happen, that occurred in the original movies and series, but in a different way. In many ways, "Into Darkness" is an alternate story of "Wrath of Khan". This is alluded to, when in "Into Darkness", young Spock asks old Spock about Khan, and old Spock says that "he can only be stopped with them working as a team, and it will require the ultimate of sacrifice". I'm pretty positive that we're going to see the same romance of Kirk and Carol, and lots of other things, but with distinct changes.

Agreed with Ovation--do remember that Spock is half human, even though he has chosen the Vulcan way.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

True....Spock IS half human!. Thanks for the spoiler tags Chris !!.

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"