• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Star Trek: Nemesis - A Review

Star Trek: Nemesis - A Review December 16, 2002

Here it is, the fourth - and possibly the last - of the movies featuring the cast from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Yes, I said the last - one of the bylines touting this film is "A Generation's Final Journey Begins". If it is, then they are going out on a positive note. This film captures a good bit of the "TNG essence" with the return of all the major characters from the series, a decent script, some neat space battles and an intriguing - but not too menacing - villain.

Yes the gang's all here: Patrick Stewart as Capt. Picard, Jonathan Frakes as Commander Ryker, Brent Spiner as Data, Marina Sirtis as Counselor Troi, Michael Dorn as Lt. Commander Worf, LeVar Burton as Geordi and Gates McFadden as Dr. Crusher. Consistency is good in some things, especially actors in sequels, and I've grown to like all the characters in the series. Director Stewart Baird gives us a decent solid film. Not a newcomer to Hollywood, he had previously helmed two good films, U.S. Marshalls and Executive Decision. He has worked as film editor on such titles as Maverick, Demolition Man, Lethal Weapon, The Omen and Tommy. As always with any Star Trek effort, it is a Warner Brothers presentation.

The Enterprise is on patrol and detects an emission of positronic energy from a planet close to the Romulan neutral zone. As this radation is exclusive to Data, the cyborg science officer and his siblings, they immediately go to investigate. While there, Picard and crew receive orders to proceed to Romulus to act as representatives for the Federation in order to meet the new Romulan leader. Once there, let's just say Picard finds out he "knows" the angry, ambitious, new Praetor.

Visually, this is a georgeous film. The color palette used is full and well, luscious. Scenes range from deep dark space, to dark indirectly lit council rooms, to well lit interiors on the Enterprise to an over-exposed monochromatic look on a planet's surface. The colors just seemed to leap out from the screen, or look like they were several feet deep - rich is too often used, but in this case it applies throughout the film with the one exception mentioned above which was deliberate. Special effects were very good - especially in the space battle scenes. Ships were whirling, swirling, firing lasers and torpedoes, being hit, being damaged and all through it all there was nothing sub-par to pull you out of the moment. If I had to be critical of anything it would be the gas clouds in space, but after seeing shots from the Hubble telescope, maybe they weren't so far off after all.

Sonically the presentation was compatible with the video in being quite good with good deep bass, clear dialog and lots of action in the surround channels.

The story itself is a decent effort with portions of it being more dialog driven than action/sci fi, but, ultimately the plot isn't terribly meaty, and the villian (played by Tom Hardy) doesn't come across as menacing, just angry and vengeful. Overall, it's a good Star Trek and not a great one, but one worthy of your efforts to see it. I give Star Trek: Nemesis :35: out of :5:.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Tex, in a recent interview, Stewart talked about this being the last Generation film. He said far from it. The secret word in the byline is BEGINS.

Nice review.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks George.

That's a relief to know there's another Next Generation movie or so to come - probably. I've really gotten to like these characters (William Shatner's pomposity had gotten old).

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Great review David!

I'm a big fan of Star Trek so, I'll like it. But, I'll probably wait till it hits dvd.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Saw this flick as well. A good Trek movie and one that will be added to my DVD collection. It was great to see some of the old cast in cameo's.

My only gripe is the theater we were in had the sound turned down to a very comfortable level so the enevitable space battle was a bit lacking.

Can someone explain how Janeway is an Admiral while Picard is not? And didn't Janeway disappear? Oh well, I guess that's what I get for not knowing the Trek timeline.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Paul, she got back. Or maybe she hadn't left in Voyager yet. Or maybe the Hollywood types haven't got a clue as to integrating the various timelines.

Personally, I pick number one - she got back and got the big promotion.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"