X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

Total Recall -remake

Just watched it today I thought it was really well done and I enjoyed it though the story is different than the original. The premise is the same overall.

Trailer
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Oh, I didn't know the actual film was out yet! Although the original wasn't a masterpiece or anything, it was a great story, and I'm HIGHLY skeptical of them doing a remake. Just like "Footloose". I don't think a remake is necessary.

I'll watch it on BD when it comes out.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• M.Roberts8
      • Jan 2006

Chris,
      Definitely check it out! The original is pretty awful if you have watched it recently. Don't get me wrong I like it. I was pretty skeptical going into this one but I actually liked it. They did change some major things so this is a "loose" remake.
      Kate Beckinsale is quite menacing/vicious & still super hot!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I kinda like Colin Farrell so I'll watch the blu-ray when it's released.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Rented it on BD. Overall, pretty good! There were parts that were really good, and some that fell flat. I thought some of the big action devices were overdone, like the floating car freeways, and stuff in "the fall". I did like the concept of "the fall" though. Cool stuff. Short point, but if "the fall" were actually used, and done efficiently, it would be zero gravity for at least the entire first half of the travel, as the elevator did free-fall down towards the core and back up the other side, until some sort of propulsion kicked in to bring it all the way up to the surface. In the movie, they were only zero-G in the middle of the travel.

I like how the movie gave several fake head moves, for those who had already seen the original, like hinting early that Quaid might go to Mars, but that has nothing to do with this version, or when he sneaks through the travel scanners, and the big lady questioned answers with "Two Weeks". In the original, she turns out to be the fake suit for Quaid, but in this one, he's really the next person behind the lady.

I appreciated how it was different than the first. Something another reviewer pointed out, though, that I agreed with but didn't know as much detail about, was Philip Dick's original novel. (I also didn't know he was the original author--he's written other cool stuff like the classic that was used for Blade Runner) In both movies, they set it up so it's possible that the whole thing could be a dream. however, in the first movie, as cheesy as it was, they actually played it out much more, and much better. As this other reviewer pointed out, not only could the whole experience be not real and a dream, but Quaid HIMSELF might not even be real

Worth a rental, but could have been better. Flat sections lowered the rating for me, so I give :3: out of :5:
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

It has kate and Jessica in it , what more could a man want?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I pretty much agree with your assessment, Chris.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Dmantis
                It has kate and Jessica in it , what more could a man want?
                Christina Hendricks.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"