X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

Captain America: The First Avenger

Just saw this yesterday and I really liked it. If your a fan of the superhero/comic genre.
    Better than Thor IMO (which I also liked) . Just read a interview with Chris Evans who said he signed on to do 6 movies as Cap. I think the upcoming Avengers counts as one. Anyway if you go stay til the end for a little sneak peek.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

6? Wow... Either they're really covering their bases, or they think this ones a winner.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

I watched the previews a few times now and I'm exactly feeling it. I liked him as the Human Torch so he probably is a good Captain America.

I guess I'll have to go see it for myself. Better then Thor huh.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

It'll be out Friday over here. I can't wait to see it.
        6 movies... dang!
        Glad to hear it was better than Thor. I still feel Thor was more of a filler movie (even though I liked it).
        Captain America 1 & 2, Avengers 1 & 2... what else?
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• M.Roberts8
          • Jan 2006

I give it an edge over Thor because I liked the how they did the back story on him and there was good actors in the supporting roles. Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci & Hugo Weaving. Don't get me wrong I really liked Thor and its a day one buy on blu for me. I was skeptical of Capt. America when I first heard about it but they pulled it off.

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

I never was a big fan of Captain America as a comic character, but they did a great job with the movie. If you go see it in the theater, make sure to stay after the boring credits (if that wasn't obvious enough w/these films already).
            -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
              I never was a big fan of Captain America as a comic character, but they did a great job with the movie. If you go see it in the theater, make sure to stay after the boring credits (if that wasn't obvious enough w/these films already).
              Really? I saw this last night and there was nothing at the very end (unlike others like Iron Man, Thor and so on). Made sure I waited until the screen went completely blank and the lights came on.

I did see a short segment that was a lot like the post-credit stuff in the other movies but it wasn't after all the credits.

As for the film itself, I quite enjoyed it (despite having to sit in the front row for the first time in 20 years). It had just enough "old-time movies feel" to fit with the story and characters.

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by audioqueso
                It'll be out Friday over here. I can't wait to see it.
                6 movies... dang!
                Glad to hear it was better than Thor. I still feel Thor was more of a filler movie (even though I liked it).
                Captain America 1 & 2, Avengers 1 & 2... what else?
                Cap 1, 2 and 3 and Avengers 1, 2 and 3, perhaps?

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
                  Really? I saw this last night and there was nothing at the very end (unlike others like Iron Man, Thor and so on). Made sure I waited until the screen went completely blank and the lights came on.

I did see a short segment that was a lot like the post-credit stuff in the other movies but it wasn't after all the credits.
                  Weird, yeah my viewing of it (at a Cinemark XD theater) had about a one 1-2 minute quick trailer of Avengers.
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

A lot of people in the crowd were moaning that they were expecting something like that--once I saw Nick Fury, I figured I'd seen "the usual", so I didn't think anything of it. Could be a Canada or even Quebec thing (in Quebec, there are arcane rules about films and available translations that might have had something to do with it--more likely the projectionist simply turned off the projector too soon)

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                      • Jan 2006

Yeah there should have been an avengers teaser. I can't find it apparently they are managing to keep it offline but I did find a small snipit of it.

Be warned this snipit has a huge movie spoiler at the beginning. Its the last 30 seconds of Capt. America.

Link to spoiler

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Thanks. I'll be adding this to my collection anyway, so I'll see the full one before the movie is out.

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I thought this one was so-so. For me, it was a re-do of themes and feel, mix of stuff like "Hellboy", "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow", and maybe even a bit of "Inglorious Basterds".

I REALLY liked the way they made Chris Evans look thinner and shorter at the beginning. I wasn't sure how they did this, digitally putting his face on another actor or something, but there's a neat discussion on IMDB about how they did it, digitally "reducing" his body on screen. All in all, I thought Chris Evans did a great job acting, and I look forward to his performance in future movies.

I totally realize this is comic-book based, but I've just never really been into the kind of movie that sets plasma-shooting demons (or aliens, or super-people, whatever the movie is), in WWII. The same thing in the future? Okay, sure, I'll buy it. But obviously we did NOT have plasma guns or supercars, or mega-bombers in WWII. So maybe that's why I actually liked "Inglorious Basterds", even though I probably should have hated it for otherwise being historically inaccurate. (to say the least)

Maybe that's also why I really liked "Raiders", but hated "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull", where Lucas went off the deep end with aliens. Anyway... this one was just :3: out of :5: for me. And yes, the end credit snippit this time was mostly a preview for "Avengers". I REALLY hope they do that one well!
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"