X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

"Pacific"

Just finished watching the first episode. I liked it very much. Nice build up of suspense to the first engagement on Guadalcanal. Looks like this will be an excellent series. Can't wait for the next episode...
    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton
  • theblue
    • Dec 2009

the sound design was excellent... it had so much detail and great imaging.
    Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
    rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
    B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
    a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• pbarach
      • Feb 2007

I thought it was trite in the first two episodes (I haven't seen the others). It was much more like a standard 1940s war movie (except for added gore and cusswords) than, say Band of Brothers. It demonized the Japanese as if they were less than human. On the other side, it seems to characterize every American solder as motivated by high ideals, which I highly doubt was the case. It's like a comic book--no shades of gray.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

This turned out to be pretty good overall. Not quite to the standard set by Band Of Brothers which IMO is the high-water mark of telling the story of WWII combat. The characters didn't become part of the family while watching the series like they did in BOB. Speaking of characterizing, in the later episodes you'll see behavior that isn't ideal.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• kpodolski
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
          This turned out to be pretty good overall. Not quite to the standard set by Band Of Brothers which IMO is the high-water mark of telling the story of WWII combat. The characters didn't become part of the family while watching the series like they did in BOB. Speaking of characterizing, in the later episodes you'll see behavior that isn't ideal.

I totally agree Dave. After the first few episodes the series went downhill for me. I just never really felt any empathy with the characters like I did with Band of Brothers. Honestly, I don't see myself ever watching this series again...

Ken
          The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
            Not quite to the standard set by Band Of Brothers which IMO is the high-water mark of telling the story of WWII combat.
            Maybe I should have been more specific and said "from the American standpoint". I'd have to give Das Boot that nod from the German side.

Sorry to go so far off topic.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

In New Zealand there are still two episodes to go. I'll definitely watch them.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"