X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Star Wars: Episode I Picture Quality

I had my Star Wars: Episode I stolen when I moved two years ago, and just got this movie again...

I just got the DVD again, and I watched it last night, but the picture watch sucks in a lot of scenes. In a lot of scenes where the queen is inside the ship, or a building, or something, with all her makeup on, those scene look very grainy. Like watching an old movie. The day scenes weren't that bad, but all in all, the PQ of this DVD was terrible. I put on another movie just to make sure it wasn't me, but the new DVD looked gorgeous. Can anyone confirm if Episode I's PQ was far from par. Or can someone at home play it right now, and jump to any scene that shows the queen with her white makeup inside some structure or something. Thank you.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

I remeber being pretty impressed with the VQ of EP1. Wasnt this one of the first shot in all digital?

I may need to rewatch it.
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good transfer, but I'd have to watch that particular scene again as i really don't remember it all that well.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

No... the two of your's overal impression is good enough. I'm thinking I just have a flawed copy.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Feb 2002

There have been long thread on episode I's PQ suffering from encoder issues and overall poor quality. It's good but not as good as II or III.

We discuss and review all genre of movies, all types of home theater hardware, and maintain one of the longest running active forums on the web!

We discuss and review all genre of movies, all types of home theater hardware, and maintain one of the longest running active forums on the web!

and

and

for a few examples
          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Yep this is the poster child for Edge Enhancement and what it can do to a picture. It is truly an awful looking transfer.

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Looks deep. I will read further into this when I get home tonight.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Hmm, guess I need glasses. h:
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

Probably because on a big screen like you have, the EE is obvious. It's obvious on my lowly 55".

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                    Probably because on a big screen like you have, the EE is obvious. It's obvious on my lowly 55".
                    I have noticed EE on some discs but honestly don't recall seeing it on the title this thread is devoted to. I'll look for it next time around. But you know, looking for things can drive you nuts. That's something I stopped doing a long time ago. As long as I am happy with my PJ calibrations, I just kick back these days, and as long as the transfer is halfway acceptable, I just try to enjoy the show.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

EE everywhere, and crawly crap in some white areas. It's not a uniformly bad transfer, but its got a bunch of shortcomings.

BB

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                        • Nov 2004

Wasnt this one of the first shot in all digital?
                        No. But one scene was filmed with a HD camera. The rest on film. ATOC was the first to be film "all digital".
                        My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"