X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans Star Wars Episode 7 by 2015

Disney has purchased Lucasfilm Studios, the brainchild of Star Wars director George Lucas, for a cool US$4.5-billion, according to reports. And what’s more, the film giant plans to release a new Star Wars film — Episode VII — by 2015, with Lucas himself as a “creative consultant.”

“This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value,” Disney CEO Bob Iger said in a statement.

Disney will take full ownership of Lucasfilm, its portfolio of technologies and its franchises.

Lucas, who has expanded the Star Wars franchise — initially a run of three films in the late 1970s and early 80s that went on to become cinematic classics — to include a portfolio of television shows, video games and a trilogy of film sequels, expressed his belief that Star Wars should outlive its creator, and has put this task in Disney’s hands.

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” Lucas said in a statement. ”I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”
    Jason
  • technodanvan
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Crazy news. I have high hopes that they will do a far better job than Lucas could at making any more movies, and I hope they recognize the cash cow that would be releasing the originals without the new and "improved" scenes.

Of course they will ruin any continuity with the books. But whatever.
    - Danny

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Oh, dear.

I do remember rumors that Lucas had THREE trilogies in mind, back in the day.

But Disney? Really?

Oh, dear.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Star Wars ? Lucas or Disney, enough already.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

As a huge Star Wars fan, I'm excited at the thought of someone else taking the reigns on the franchise. George Lucas did such a horrible job w/the prequels, I hope someone else can do the new movies right.
          -Chuck

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

I like all 6 movies. I'm hoping for another 3. I'm excited to see Star Wars live this long.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I'm not very hopeful. Yes, Lucas lost some of his storytelling ability when he did the prequel trilogy. But Star Wars WAS Lucas. He wrote the story. He approved every single design, ship, character, set style, digital shot, etc. This "creative consultant" thing is rather weak. They could do well, but I would say the chances are greater that it's a dud, and shames the series.

I will say, though, that there is a very unique opportunity here to use the original main cast and show the next generation, much like Episodes I-III showed the generation previous to that used in Ep IV-VI. All the original cast is still around, and available to do more--Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and even some actors that wouldn't need to actually be in more sequels, like James Earl Jones, and Kenny Baker. The only one I can think of that they might want to use in dream sequences or Jedi ghosts, and not available, would be Alec Guinness. Shoot, even Denis Lawson is still alive, who played Wedge! (the only non-major character to appear in all 3 original trilogy movies--my favorite Star Wars trivia question)

What an opportunity!

Regardless of how it looks like it's turning out, though, I'll still go see it opening night, in all the usual SW frenzy.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

If you read some of the books , play some of the games , you will realize their is much to tell. I'm not a huge fan of the cartoon but it's still except able. I look at it from time time.

I thought 1-3 where very good movies and filled in many blanks from 4-6. I really enjoyed the story. I can easily look past Jar jar and any other things the usual crowd picks on them for.

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

I played through the Star Wars: Force Unleashed series, and I thought it had an amazing story line, definitely worthy of a movie or three, and would fit very nicely in between the current episode 3 and 4.

here's an interesting excerpt from wikipedia regarding the development of the game and how Lucas himself was involved in making sure the story fit into the Star Wars universe:

In April 2005, after several months of planning, the LucasArts team received Lucas' encouragement to create a game centered on Darth Vader's secret apprentice in the largely unexplored period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, drawing the two trilogies together. LucasArts spent six months developing the story. Lucas spent hours discussing with the developers the relationship between Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine and provided feedback on what Vader would want out of and how he would motivate an apprentice. Lucas Licensing reviewed many game details to ensure they fit into canon. Focus group feedback indicated that, while hunting down Jedi at Vader's order would be fun, the character should be redeemed, in keeping with a major Star Wars motif. Although the game introduces new characters, developers felt the presence of characters already part of Star Wars would help anchor the game within the official continuity. Before the game's release, Lucasfilm claimed it would "unveil new revelations about the Star Wars galaxy" with a "redemption" motif. The story progresses through a combination of scripted events, in-game cinematics, cutscenes, and dialogue.
                  I advise anyone with access and the care, to play through the game (even if just on the easiest level) to check out the story. The full plots are available on the wiki site as well (although you really have to play the game if you want to watch the story unfold properly).
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Cool, thanks--I ordered SW: TFU and will play through it!
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

No time for video games sadly...:lol:
                      Jason

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
                        Cool, thanks--I ordered SW: TFU and will play through it!
                        You won't be disappointed. It's a really fun game to play even besides how great the plot is :T (you did get the first one correct? there's Force Unleashed and then Force Unleashed 2).
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Yeah, I figured I'd get TFU, and if I really get into it or something, then I'll think about TFU 2.

I should have Lego Lord of the Rings coming in a few weeks, so I'll be video game maxed out for a while.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

This is really a bold purchase on Disney's part. I mean I know Star Wars and Indy are great shows historically. But 4 billion dollars? Good gosh thats a lot of star wars before you even make a dime.
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Star Wars is an enormous franchise though, it's not just about the movies themselves. I mean, hell, they even get royalties on the google droid phones because of the word "droid". Not to mention the crazy amount of toys, games, and endless amount of merch that continues to get sold to this day.
                              -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Yeah...I just bought a bunch of Starwars action figures for Reilly for Christmas...... so I'd say that there is a good possibility a chunk of that money will already be returned by time the first movie comes out.

Don't forget the animated series that's out as well.

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

..and video games and I would imagine soon to be opening at a Disney park near you, a "Star Wars" ride/themed area...

They'll make their money back :lol:
                                  Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Yeah, I was thinking, there's already "Star Tours" at Disney. Speaking of, I ran out of different rides when I was at Disney Hollywood Studios a couple months ago, so I did Star Tours. Wasn't planning on doing it, as the last time I had done so, it had lost the appeal for me and was pretty jerky. But I'm glad I gave it another try--they had redone the ride, and it was REALLY good! And of course, the post-ride gift store was just overflowing with various Star Wars stuff. So that Disney connection already exists.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                      • Jan 2006

For me this is all going to hinge on if Disney goes with a more kiddie version like the animated series or does more of a Tron:Legacy/John Carter. I know John Carter didn't do well @ the box office, but it is well done. I'm cautiously optimistic......

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Looks like Han is back

Harrison Ford has reportedly agreed to reprise his role as Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode VII.

Harrison Ford will return as Han Solo

Harrison Ford has reportedly agreed to reprise his role as Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode VII.

The news was reported on Fox News Latino by famed movie reporter Umberto ‘El Mayimbe’ Gonzalez.

In a 2010 interview with Peter Travers, Ford said he didn’t think there was a way to “weave” Solo back in to any future films.

He continued adding: “I thought he should have died in the last one… (But) George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”

According to Mayimbe, the deal is done to bring back Ford for the seventh instalment, which will be directed by J.J. Abrams. “It’s just a formality, right now,” he said. “The deal is pretty big…it’s significant.”

Earlier this month, Disney announced it intends to make Han Solo and Boba Fett spin-off films.

According to EW.com, the film focusing on Han Solo will be set between Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Boba Fett spin-off will take place between Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.
                                        Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Maybe Chris Pine can play Han in the spin off and cause the Internet to explode. :lol:

Comment

• technodanvan
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ovation
                                            Maybe Chris Pine can play Han in the spin off and cause the Internet to explode. :lol:
                                            I think my mind exploded just thinking about it!

You just KNOW there are going to be some cameos, at the very least.
                                            - Danny

Comment

• impala454
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2007

I was reading a few other articles on it, and they say neither Lucasfilm or Harrison Ford themselves have confirmed it. Sounds cool though... man I wonder if he can handle doing another three movies...
                                              -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by technodanvan
                                                I think my mind exploded just thinking about it!

You just KNOW there are going to be some cameos, at the very least.
                                                Bruce Greenwood proposed a funny one where Pike, in Starfleet uniform, would wander down a corridor, peek into a room full of Star Wars characters and say "Oops. Wrong room.", and then just turn and walk away. That would be hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"