X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

I'm curious how this movie is. Growing up, I was a big fan of G.I. Joe. One of my fondest Christmas memories, that year they released the G.I. Joe aircraft carrier toy. That thing was massive... something like 5 feet long. I wanted it, of course, and did the beg-your-parents-incessantly kid thing, but it was also pretty pricey. Well, Christmas morning, I woke up and ran to the upstairs balcony by my room, looked down to the Christmas tree in the living room, and... presents, but no aircraft carrier. Bummer... but when I went downstairs, my parents had hidden it under the stairs, out of sight, and I was quite a happy kid.

Anyway... I'm a fan, and hope this one's good. Problem is, movies like this, based on a kid's toy or cartoon, have a HUGE potential to absolutely suck. So far, reviews and opinions I'm seeing around the internet and newspapers are encouraging. But the trailers look like it could be really cheesy, and it's getting a pretty bad 37% on the Rotten Tomatometer so far.

Ray Parks plays "Snakeyes", which should be pretty darn good.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Yeah the commercial does look pretty cheesy to me. I don't usually like to go by Rotten's website because they are usually very harsh on movies and a lot of stuff they rate bad I end up liking. I probably won't go to theaters to see this but I'll certainly look for it when it's released on dvd.

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

They didn't screen it for critics, but Paramount said they chose not to because this isn't a critics film. They have screened it for "amateur" critics like those at aintitcool and such, and the consensus has been that if you go in with the attitude that this is a "fun" movie and nothing more, you won't be disappointed.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I was a big G.I. Joe fan as a kid. I even had a Mercury space capsule for my Joes , but I'm pretty iffy about the movie.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Alaric
          I was a big G.I. Joe fan as a kid. I even had a Mercury space capsule for my Joes , but I'm pretty iffy about the movie.
          Wow, now I really feel old. I gave one of those space capsules to my youngest son for Christmas when he was just a kid. He and his brothers got GI Joes the previous Christmas.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• 1oldguy
            • Dec 2008

George you can never be considered old.I hold that title I'll have you know.lol
            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by 1oldguy
              George you can never be considered old.I hold that title I'll have you know.lol
              :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Bmac
                • Aug 2006

Lots of action, little plot, and a very hot Sienna Miller. My kids loved it, and I stayed awake through the whole thing. As good as Transformers. Great sound, and good CGI.
                Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• june
                  • Feb 2005

i went to the wrong theater in philly to see it. no surround sound!!! ht guys in philly never go to the bridge at 40th & walnut :M
                  i agree with bmac but i lked more than the transformers.
                  June
                  "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    Wow, now I really feel old. I gave one of those space capsules to my youngest son for Christmas when he was just a kid. He and his brothers got GI Joes the previous Christmas.

Dad! 8O Just kidding. I got mine for Christmas in 1968. I can't remember all the gear I had for them. I vaguely remember a scuba outfit in the bathtub. That was back before it un-PC to let boys play with "violent" toys.
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

That was back before it un-PC to let boys play with "violent" toys.
                      ... or G.I. Joe "dolls".
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• 1oldguy
                        • Dec 2008

I did like what I saw in the Trailer.......Good to see people here dig it.It will be BR purchase for me.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Dad! 8O Just kidding. I got mine for Christmas in 1968. I can't remember all the gear I had for them. I vaguely remember a scuba outfit in the bathtub. That was back before it un-PC to let boys play with "violent" toys.
                          Lee, 1968 sounds about right for the Christmas I bought my son that space capsule. In fact, all three of my sons had GI Joe dolls, which seemed to be an accepted thing for boys to have dolls in that particular time and space.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• 1oldguy
                            • Dec 2008

I think I had one too now that i think about it.I prefer to call it an action figure.Not sure why,must go ask my shrink.lol

Comment

• BVoss
                              • May 2009

I really enjoyed this movie. Stephen Sommers gave me exactly what I was expecting.

Comment

• Bmac
                                • Aug 2006

Check this out!

I had them all.
                                Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

Maybe, I'll give it a chance, but I will need to check out District 9 first. I don't want to be disappointed, because I had the GI Joe toy soldiers and they never disappointed me.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Yeah, I never had the larger dolls, but I sure enjoyed the action figures. Some of those figures and the toys were pretty sweet, like the jeep, the F-14, and the aircraft carrier. Early on, Grunt, Snake Eyes, and others were awesome. Then it got weird, where characters were nuclear mutants like TMNT. I think that all started with the Cobra twins that were mirror images of each other. Their names were something like Zonat and Tanoz, or something.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• kmcheng
                                      • Jan 2008

I saw this today. I did not go in with any expectations, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sienna Miller was a good surprise.

I too liked it much better than Transformers 2.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                        • Jan 2006

Just watched this yesterday and I have to say I thought this was the worst movie I have seen since the the mummy tomb of the dragon emperor. If it wasn't for Sienna Miller it would be unwatchable. Putting lips on snake eyes totally ruined the look of the character to me and the mask cobra commander puts on at the end just looked stupid to me.
                                        The cobra soldiers looked like an Army of Two (video game) rip off. Here are the guys from the game

It had allot of action but to me this movie was way too much style and no substance. Glad I only paid 5 bucks to see it.

I just want to add that the G.I. Joe action figures were my favorite toys as a kid and the cartoon was a favorite as well. I was just really let down by this one. I actually didn't even want to see it after the preview showed the "accelerator suits". Should have went with my gut.
                                        Last edited by M.Roberts8; 13 September 2009, 08:06 Sunday.

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Edited only to help you out with picture formatting.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                            • Dec 2008

I guess it will only a couple of months or so and well have it.Though the lipstick thing seems kinda silly to say the least.Still better than a Drew Barrymore movie.Please God, no more chick flicks.

Comment

• krips
                                              • Sep 2007

Perhaps it is me, or your Newfy english, but I don't understand anything you just said! :lol:
                                              Sharp LC-42D64U
                                              TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by krips
                                                Perhaps it is me, or your Newfy english, but I don't understand anything you just said! :lol:
                                                LOL :T

Comment

• farazakan
                                                  • Sep 2009

The movie is not that bad. Its pretty good. I have played a lot with GI Joe figures as a kid. Waiting for its dvd print to see at home.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"