Joe Kane releasing another calibration disc!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Joe Kane releasing another calibration disc!

Following "Video Essentials", and "Digital Video Essentials", which any good HT enthusiast should own, Joe is now releasing a third disc, "DVE HD Basics".

Cool thing, this now is available on HD-DVD, and BD for the first time. I'll be picking one up for sure when it comes out in a couple months!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

I haven't even cracked the shrink wrap on my DVE on HD. What the heck?

Honestly, I don't trust Joe Kane's "Video Essentials" series (the first disc of which remains a benchmark to me in terms of how to not author a disc for easy navigation) to make anything "basic" or easy. In fact, didn't the Samsung 710 (another Joe Kane associated product) have massive problems also?

Thanks Joe, I'll wait for Avia HD.
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by wildfire99
      I haven't even cracked the shrink wrap on my DVE on HD. What the heck?

Honestly, I don't trust Joe Kane's "Video Essentials" series (the first disc of which remains a benchmark to me in terms of how to not author a disc for easy navigation) to make anything "basic" or easy. In fact, didn't the Samsung 710 (another Joe Kane associated product) have massive problems also?

Thanks Joe, I'll wait for Avia HD.
      :rofl:

See: Me spitting coffee all over my monitor... PFFFFFTTTTTT....

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Agreed that the original VE was not navigation-friendly.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I agree as well, I have the VE cal disc and use AVIA more due to it's friendlier gui. Maybe Mr. Kane will recognize this issue and make modifications accordingly, or maybe not.

Maybe he's trying to appeal more to the ISF calibration pros, but one would think the consumer crowd would have a more lucrative appeal . Just my humble opinion.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

there's not a whole lot left for calibration pros in my mind, with the 3 gun system going down hard. Your die hards still using guns, yes, plenty of setup there. But calibration of LCDs/plasmas/DPL is not as complex as it once was.

I guess Joe's cash drawer was running a little thin, lol.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• wildfire99
              • Aug 2005

He's got a new DLP projector now also, so that is probably the case. Lets see if his 'reference projector' try #2 has more reliability.
              - Patrick
              "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Lex
                there's not a whole lot left for calibration pros in my mind, with the 3 gun system going down hard. Your die hards still using guns, yes, plenty of setup there. But calibration of LCDs/plasmas/DPL is not as complex as it once was.
                Perhaps less complex yes but you still need something to dial in the colour, tint, brightness, contrast etc from stock (ie torch) levels. ISF's even better but you still need to run the proper maintenance particularly with dimming bulbs etc.
                Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

My DVE: Basics just shipped from Amazon on BD. And Joe Kane's having sales over at DVD International.

Use the coupon "HDSCAPE50" and you can get an HDScape Sampler and 50% off all HDScape Blu-Ray if you buy DVE HD basics.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Believe it or not, I still have his VE laserdisc version. I also have Joe's first dvd release and I also have Avia which I won here a few years back. I respect Joe Kane ( his knowledge was very helpful to me in my crt days ) but frankly, I found Avia to be the easiest to work with, especially for setting brightness and contrast for lcd and dlp projectors.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
                      • Nov 2003

If it wasn't for laser disc (although capacitance electronic disc owners may have used this approach) there might not have been calibration,well, at least untill dvd arrived in the 90's and videotape owners rarely knew about it and there weren't many experts in the 80's or av shops that could due calibration anyways.

Even in the late 90's or early part of 2000, joe and jane (ever so happy with oversaturated colors gleaming off of objects looking unnatural) the average consumer would never been able to pay those high fees experts got ($350.00 to $400.00 per hour) to adjust a caythode ray tube or clean the inside of a front projection set,instead, a disc would be easier and cheaper.

It would make things easier if manufacturers pre-calibrated (including internal settings like temp etc) all hdtv sets for color,tint,get rid of sharpness or contrast control and leave brightness for home adjustment and yes a reset switch for those who want to do it themselves.

In the future,its possible,this could be.
                      Robert

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"