X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Star Trek

Just back from the cinema. Awesome movie. A must see. Will tell more later, when I've time.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

I'm glad it was good. When I first read about the movie's plot I was kind of worried that it would be disappointing.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I saw it yesterday and agree, awesome movie!
      B&W

Comment

• Bmac
        • Aug 2006

Great flick, I must own it! The best casting I've seen done on a remake.
        Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• 1oldguy
          • Dec 2008

Will be having this on BR for sure.Haven't seen it yet but it's good to know you guys like it.
          A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Fantastic Movie. Excellent spin. I'm hoping for many more to come. I think they left it that way.

I want to see it again.

Dan

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

As a "trekkie" since 1973, I give this a hearty recommendation. Not perfect, but certainly well worth the trip to the "big screen" (especially the IMAX screening, if available in your area).

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Heehee, thanks for the positive reviews! I've had my fingers crossed on this one. A Trekkie (like Paul) for many years, I feared for the worst on this one even though the previews had my hopes up. Jeez, I may have to take a trip to the mainland to see this one.... :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• don9146
                  • Nov 2008

Just got back from the Saturday matinee showing. The rest of the summer blockbusters will have a tough time living up to this one. Excellent movie.
                  Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

Saw it last night, very good movie, though if you're knowledgeable of Trek lore you'll have to choke down some strange stuff... won't say anything more than that! Definitely will be a BD purchase!

ok maybe I will!
                    Anyone else wonder why they felt the need to skew this weird alternate timeline? Is this the plan for the sequels too?
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
                      Saw it last night, very good movie, though if you're knowledgeable of Trek lore you'll have to choke down some strange stuff... won't say anything more than that! Definitely will be a BD purchase!

ok maybe I will!
                      Anyone else wonder why they felt the need to skew this weird alternate timeline? Is this the plan for the sequels too?
                      The decision to create an alternate timeline was to allow for a "clean slate", unrestricted by "canon", for the iconic characters while trying to please long-time fans by giving an "in-universe" explanation for why things look different. It is DEFINITELY the plan for the sequels, as long as the current team is in charge. This is an alternate timeline and, thus, nothing is pre-ordained. I happen to like this idea a lot. A minority of die-hards, based on what I've seen at some other boards, not so much.

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

While I am a huge trek fan, I'm not so much a TOS diehard so it's not that big of a deal to me, but I still think it's rather cheesy. I thought the storyline was really weak, as well as the villains. I mean, the original story makes much more sense... Lots of people on the bridge killed (including the captain), so Kirk takes command. This notion that some barely graduated officer can just beam back onboard, piss off the captain and then take command, is silly. As is the notion that a captain would instantly promote a newbie to second in command of the ship. Not to mention the stuff like Scotty being some loser in a crappy installation on a frozen planet, then is suddenly the chief engineer of the flagship was a little off the wall too, though I don't recall if/what the original story was with him.

I will say it was a very entertaining movie and I'm sure I'll buy the BD and watch it 20 times. It was cast very well, the special effects were amazing (loved the slight nod to real physics they did a few times, like the no sound in space when the woman got sucked out of the ship).

I just think that they could have just as easily done a great story and continued the Star Trek franchise without skewing the original story so badly. The great cast, special effects, and anticipation surrounding the movie is what hit their box office numbers so well and made it so enjoyable, not the fact that they destroyed vulcan or changed the original story so much.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
                          While I am a huge trek fan, I'm not so much a TOS diehard so it's not that big of a deal to me, but I still think it's rather cheesy. I thought the storyline was really weak, as well as the villains. I mean, the original story makes much more sense... Lots of people on the bridge killed (including the captain), so Kirk takes command. This notion that some barely graduated officer can just beam back onboard, piss off the captain and then take command, is silly. As is the notion that a captain would instantly promote a newbie to second in command of the ship. Not to mention the stuff like Scotty being some loser in a crappy installation on a frozen planet, then is suddenly the chief engineer of the flagship was a little off the wall too, though I don't recall if/what the original story was with him.

I will say it was a very entertaining movie and I'm sure I'll buy the BD and watch it 20 times. It was cast very well, the special effects were amazing (loved the slight nod to real physics they did a few times, like the no sound in space when the woman got sucked out of the ship).

I just think that they could have just as easily done a great story and continued the Star Trek franchise without skewing the original story so badly. The great cast, special effects, and anticipation surrounding the movie is what hit their box office numbers so well and made it so enjoyable, not the fact that they destroyed vulcan or changed the original story so much.
                          Both Paramount and Abrams decided (for good or ill) that they wanted to explore those characters without worrying about all the established backstory. This alternate timeline approach is how they chose to do it while also maintaining the legitimacy of the established continuity. I would not have bothered and would just have done a straight reboot BUT if I was obliged (perhaps Paramount made that one point an unavoidable condition of granting Abrams so much freedom otherwise) to make such a connection to the original continuity, I cannot think of anything other than an alternate timeline to accomplish it. So there it is. If anyone wants to, in the future, revisit the original "universe", it is still there--hysterical ranting by a few diehards notwithstanding. I'm quite thrilled with this direction as I've always considered these characters the most interesting of the bunch (of course, I grew up on them, so I would) and I look at this kind of "reboot" as I do any treatment of iconic stories/characters (like Superman, James Bond and Shakespeare plays): something worth revisiting from different angles. I only hope they truly take advantage of their new freedom.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I was feeling left out so I wanted to type in the fancy black boxes too
                            B&W

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
                              Both Paramount and Abrams decided (for good or ill) that they wanted to explore those characters without worrying about all the established backstory. This alternate timeline approach is how they chose to do it while also maintaining the legitimacy of the established continuity. I would not have bothered and would just have done a straight reboot BUT if I was obliged (perhaps Paramount made that one point an unavoidable condition of granting Abrams so much freedom otherwise) to make such a connection to the original continuity, I cannot think of anything other than an alternate timeline to accomplish it. So there it is. If anyone wants to, in the future, revisit the original "universe", it is still there--hysterical ranting by a few diehards notwithstanding. I'm quite thrilled with this direction as I've always considered these characters the most interesting of the bunch (of course, I grew up on them, so I would) and I look at this kind of "reboot" as I do any treatment of iconic stories/characters (like Superman, James Bond and Shakespeare plays): something worth revisiting from different angles. I only hope they truly take advantage of their new freedom.
                              I understand why they did what they did, I just don't agree that it was necessary or had anything to do with the film's success.
                              -Chuck

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                • Dec 2008

I eagerly await this movie on Blue Ray.The theaters here seem to have become so bad there is no point in going.I saw the Wolverine movie and was thinking to myself during the movie this is the last time.But all is ok...........I don't mind waiting to see it for the first time on my Kuro.

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

Yeah I rarely go to the theater anymore because of quality issues. Seems nobody takes pride in their theater anymore. I only go if it's a movie I really really can't wait for. My Star Trek viewing experience, the projector mask was set too narrow, and out of a 30-40' screen, there was about 4' of the movie missing from either side. Just enough to piss me off. Was also a completely destroyed subwoofer or two in the theater, so every time some major LFE came up, got a nice loud crackle.
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                    • Dec 2008

The last 2 movies I saw I had people putting their feet on my seat.That's one sure way to piss me off.I do believe I've had enough.Plus I can easier justify the price of my Blue ray movies since I'll be seeing it for the first time at home.

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Saw it again last night (haven't gone to see a movie at the cinema twice--except for The Dark Knight--since I got an HT setup). I liked it as much as I did the first time, perhaps slightly more because of the subtle visual "easter eggs" I'd missed the first time around. Not a deep, groundbreaking film but certainly an entertaining summer popcorn movie.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                        • Jul 2007

It's films like this that make me wish I didn't despise theaters so much. The last film I saw in a theater was Spider-Man 2. 8O
                                        Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Tommy
                                          • Dec 2006

Star Trek is awesome. It's is better than any of the previous 10 movies IMO.

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

I finally made it to the mainland and managed to catch Star Trek while I was there. Short version is: I loved this movie! :5: I went in thinking it would be enjoyable to see once and then put away, as I'm an old Trekkie dating back to the original series, and boy, was I pleasantly surprised. The skewed timeline opens up all sorts of possibilities with characters and stories gone and forgotten, much less opening up new avenues to explore. I really enjoyed the development of the characters from a younger standpoint and especially the quirk of Captain Pike living and active in this time-stream. Bruce Greenwood was an excellent casting choice, too. (Why hasn't this guy been in larger roles??? He has the chops IMO.)

Speaking of easter eggs, did anyone catch what looked like a caged tribble in Mr. Scott's lab? :rofl:

IMO this is a real home-run. Congratulations Paramount and J. J. Abrams! I can't wait to get the Blu-Ray!

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

I thought it was a great movie also, my wife (who is not interested in Start Trek) loved it as well, in fact, it was her idea to go.
                                              Danish

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

My wife rarely volunteers to purchase DVDs or (now) Blu-Rays, but the first words out of her mouth after it was over were "We've GOT to get the Blu-Ray of this!"

Yeah! :T

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"