X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

A lotta movie making going on here

Matt Brouska's post made me aware of just how much filming is going on here in Nova Scotia. Two hot one's will be THE SHIPPING NEWS, starring Kevin Spacey and Judy Dench. Some of the scenes were shot at The Halifax Herald, a daily newspaper where I got my start in the publishing business.

The other big movie, which will probably be a blockbuster, stars Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson and I believe it's called THE WIDOW MAKER, or something like that. It's about a Russian submarine and something that happens to it that's supposed to be a true story. A lot of the movie was shot at The Halifax Shipyards which was redecorated to look like a shipyard in Russia. The submarine, the real star of the movie, was towed here and a lot of the shots at sea were filmed just outside Halifax Harbour.

There's another film being shot starring Mira Sorvino (love to get a look at her in person) and Mariah Carey here in Halifax, but the title escapes me at the moment.

Another was shot recently starring Sean Penn and Elizabeth Hurley.

They're starting to call Nova Scotia the Hollywood of Canada. I don't know if that's good or bad, I only know I'll definitely be watching for these films when they're released.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

interesting regarding the widow maker since part of that was filmed near me as well. They came here in the dead of winter and filmed out on lake winnipeg as a mock up of some polar ice fields for something

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Interesting George. Andrew, that is the ice cap isn't it? LOL.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

My sweetie is the same way (aren't we all?) She enjoys seeing movies filmed in Boston. You can tell she wants to blurt out the location names, but being the good movie watcher she is, she waits until it's over.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yes, Andrew, they left here after some set up shots, then went somewhere else in Canada, and now they are back filming seagoing scenes.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"