X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Max Payne

We started talking about this in another thread, but since there's interest, here's a dedicated one. I'm not a big video game player, but here's a movie based on a video game that I do actually want to see. Max Payne was a very dark, film noir computer game released in 2001. Right after "The Matrix", it used innovative bullet-time-like moves. There's a really dark story in the game, that I think will make for a very good movie.

Hope this one turns out well. Mark Wahlberg plays Max Payne. Comes out today. Currently getting CREAMED at Rotten Tomatoes.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Bmac
    • Aug 2006

I won't give away the plot, but let's just say it's a whole lot of the same. I've seen this movie no less than three times, Hollywood is running out of ideas. Wait for the dvd, and even then think twice before renting. Visuals are the hook in the trailer with nothing to back them up in the movie. I was suckered by great effect.....I'm angry typing now and I'm going to stop.
    Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Oh, my. This doesn't sound good.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Hmmm, that's unfortunate. I loved the game so was kind of interested in seeing this.

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

Well most good stories are retold. But, if this is a retold boring story then I am not going to be happy. Anyway, the movie still looks cool IMO so I am planning on seeing it eventually.
          -Joe

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I saw the rotten tomatoes reviews yesterday and was really bummed. I like Marky Mark, however the happening was horrible and the reviews of this on are a shame.

Bummer too, because the previews looked great.
            B&W

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I actually liked The Happening. Not sure why everyone thought it was so horrible. Was a nice clever new idea.

Comment

• H.T.C
                • Nov 2003

Videogames for some reason or some games just dont translate well to the screen or they change the script so much then all thats left is the name only and if the production studio can't keep to the structure or content from which it is derived then maybe it should not be done at all.
                Robert

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Well, like the comic book movies, I think there's actually a LOT of potential in "video game" movies. The potential is that these have usually already been given a very deep, introspective backstory, waiting to be brought to the screen.

I think the problem is that these movies are often made with poor QUALITY of acting, shooting, and editing. This could happen to any movie--I'm not sure why they seem to happen more frequently with video game and comic book movies. Perhaps because they attract some directors that are big fan-boys of the source, but don't know how to put together a good movie?
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• H.T.C
                    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                    Well, like the comic book movies, I think there's actually a LOT of potential in "video game" movies. The potential is that these have usually already been given a very deep, introspective backstory, waiting to be brought to the screen.

I think the problem is that these movies are often made with poor QUALITY of acting, shooting, and editing. This could happen to any movie--I'm not sure why they seem to happen more frequently with video game and comic book movies. Perhaps because they attract some directors that are big fan-boys of the source, but don't know how to put together a good movie?
                    The old gothic house or science lab in the first resident evil game had this erie and creepy atmosphere with cemetery later added in revamped version of the game was not in the film version at all.

What was a psychological horror/adventure game the movie adaptation turned it into action/shooting oriented junk.
                    Robert

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

Heck, some video games play out like movies nowadays. SW: The Force Unleashed would be a helluva movie.
                      -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Agreed. And the Matrix game (can't remember the name) filled in the holes in the last two Matrix movies.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                          • Dec 2006

Hey donkey, say hello to your mother for me.
                          Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• littlesaint
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                            Hey donkey, say hello to your mother for me.
                            :rofl:

One of the better SNL "arcs". Surely a marketing op for Wahlberg, but pretty funny anyway.

Two games I'd like to see is Gears of War which is a project (Nick Chinlund would be perfect for Marcus Fenix), and Bioshock. Bioshock's back story is loosely based on themes from Atlas Shrugged. Great game. PS3 owners should definitely pick this up now that it's out.
                            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• rob17
                              • Jul 2007

Max Payne was an excellent game. The second part was good too. I will watch this when it comes out on dvd, I am usually pretty skeptical when games are made into movies. I hope this one is decent despite the reviews.

Comment

• H.T.C
                                • Nov 2003

It wonder if its true about clint eastwood playing as the lead role in the upcoming metal gear solid movie
                                Robert

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Clint Eastwood? I'm thinking he's just a tad old for the part of Solid Snake. Admittedly Snake was retired, but 70-ish retired? Nah. Bruce Willis, maybe?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Finally watched Max Payne yesterday. Thought it was on the low end of "so-so". The potential was there, with the dark story that Max Payne drew off of in the video game. The writers even did an almost passable job, trying to incorporate some of the story, plot elements, and even game play into the movie. (for those who didn't play the game, there were a couple slow-mo scenes reminiscent of the "Bullet Time" feature of the game) But some average acting, some re-hashed storylines from previous movies of somebody killed to protect a medical super-soldier drug scandal, (i.e. Jacob's Ladder, etc) and some scene construction that was just... off. The "demons" showed and their interactions could have been done in the story much better, even the times where their CGI depiction in the scene was just fine.

So I only gave this one :2: out of :5:
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• marky mark
                                      • Feb 2008

i didn't play the video game but i thought the movie were not bad, i thought that it was clever to use the demon because of the drugs

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"