X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

O.T., but Max Payne's a hoot!

Well, now that I'm on Xmas break and have a little time to catch up on things, I installed Max Payne (birthday present earlier this year) on my desktop (the gaming rig is apart for upgrades). It's not the ideal system for a game like this- LCD panel display at 1280X1024, just an ATI Radeon VE video card (not nominally a screamer on 3D), but with all the RAM and CPU power this box has, it runs quite will in 16 bit color mode (not an ATI strong suit), and the graphcs are pretty skank! :B

Game play's not at all shabby either, though I'm a bit rusty (to say the least) at the third person shooter). The levels are well designed, the sound very atmospheric, and the texture detail remarkable. If I can grab a screen shot, I'll post one sometime. I'm closing in on finishing the first section, and so far haven't had to use the strategy guide.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I thoroughly enjoyed Max Payne! Tough as hell towards the end, but I found it to be a very satisfing game.

I ran mine at 1600x1200 32 bit color, simply fantastic graphics.

I too thought the sound was very well done.

Here are some Screens for you

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Cool screens, Bing. On my desktop it's running quite smoothly at 1280X1024; with the new 64 MB DDR card I should be able to run the gaming system "Max"'d out! My reflexes are getting in shape; I'm about half way through- just got OD's on V the by the Fed gal, and trying to find my way out of the maze. Great action game.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I have had a hard time starting out with this shooter. I don't know why, just have a hard time with it so far. I finally waisted all the guys in the train station, and then the door closed on me before I got in upstairs, it was like, I was stuck, no where to go, no one to kill. Not particularly fond of having to flip over and over and over to avoid being killed when your outnumbered. Maybe I just need to get the hang of it better.

Max on XBox here, I opted to return the PC version before opening and go for Xbox version. Good or bad move? I dunno.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I finished the game yesterday afternoon- too many hours goofing off! It was fun, and the story was satisfying. As Bing says, the third section is definitely harder, and there are a few brain challenges, but nothing too overwhelming. Now "Hardboiled" and "New York Minute" modes are unlocked. I'm just really getting the hang of using "Bullet Time", so another run through on the new video card should be in order- but NOT until I get some audio stuff done!

I suspect the Xbox version of Max Payne may be an interesting compromise. The T&L may be better, but then since it's effectively limited to 640X480, I sure hope they have anti-alising turned on major league, because there's a lot of fine detail you get at 1280X1024 and higher that just won't be there at TV resolution. This will impact using the sniper rifle at a distance, and the clarity of texture reproduction.

On my desktop rig, the final level (in the skyscraper) was making my little Radeon VE with only software T&L work pretty hard, and it was starting to get a little less fluid in some spots. I think the new Visiontek GF3 Ti200 should take care of that nicely!

Once you get use to running games at 1280X1024 or higher, it's hard to go back.

For comparison, I was playing Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance on the PS2 during the holiday break, run through a "high res" monitor- my NEC 25" presentation monitor- great geometry and lighting and color, fabulous water effects and character animations (maybe one of the best PS2 titles in that regard, plus good RPG gameplay), but half the time I was annoyed at the low resolution and thinking how much better it would look at XGA or SXGA. I hope they bring that title out on the PC someday. I've got big hopes for Neverwinternights.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"