• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

POTC II: Dead Man's Chest

Went to the company screening yesterday with the family, so a short review:

I liked it about as well as the first, which is to say thought it was pretty good. Depp was as good as ever and has not lost his enthusiasm for the role. Felt the story was a little weaker than the first, but that's hard to shake off with a sequel. I'd agree with opinions I've seen elsewhere it was a bit long, and I prefer long movies.

Action and visuals are all absolutely great. Davy Jones' crew are some of the most original and well executed character/costume designs I've seen in a while.

And make no mistake, this movie "ends" as a middle film. More to come, so there's no real feeling of satisfaction as you leave the theater.

All in all, I'd give it an "aaargh", but not really an "Aaaaargh! Matey!"

I would add it's a bit more gruesome than the first and I probably would not have brought my kid (8) if I'd known. He's not afraid of monsters (especially not skeletons) and scary stuff, it was more of a removed body parts issue. I kind of (irresponsibly, I guess) assumed it would be on par with the first.

BB
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I saw it on Saturday and agree with your review.

They seemed to have balanced the partial lack of storyline with a bit more action compared to the first movie. I also thought the makeup/costumes of Davey Jones' crew was great.

It was a long movie, but for me it passed by quickly. It kept me entertained.

I didn't really feel unfufilled given the middle "ending," I just hope the third movie doesn't bomb.
    Danish

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Looking forward to the dvd. Also, there will be a third installment and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones will appear as Jack Sparrow's father. Neat, considering Depp patterned his Sparrow character after Richards.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        Looking forward to the dvd. Also, there will be a third installment and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones will appear as Jack Sparrow's father. Neat, considering Depp patterned his Sparrow character after Richards.
        Yeah, I heard about this... should be interesting. I wonder how/why they picked KR as the inspiration. In any case, it's very entertaining.
        Danish

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by dyazdani
          Yeah, I heard about this... should be interesting. I wonder how/why they picked KR as the inspiration. In any case, it's very entertaining.
          It was Johnny Depp's idea to pattern Sparrow after KR's characteristics. And a goode idea at that.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I'm looking forward to these as well :T
            Jason

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I seen this movie this last Saturday at a (hold on to your hats here) Drive In theatre. I really enjoyed it, do need to see it again though, alot of the effects and picture quality were lost in the media used.
              I have not seen a movie at a Drive In since I was a kid, was a really nostalgic good time, but dont see myself going back soon.
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                I seen this movie this last Saturday at a (hold on to your hats here) Drive In theatre. I really enjoyed it, do need to see it again though, alot of the effects and picture quality were lost in the media used.
                I have not seen a movie at a Drive In since I was a kid, was a really nostalgic good time, but dont see myself going back soon.
                Drive-in, ahhh that brings back some wonderful memories of my youth and my old '53 Chevvie.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• brendon
                  • Aug 2004

I saw this the other night and agree with the above reviews .
                  A well executed action/comedy romp with great special FX.
                  Brendon :T

Comment

• Sithlord
                    • Aug 2004

Ok I saw this one and thought it was pretty good but again IMO the running time was too long like Superman. The effects were fantastic and the sound was excellent. Acting was very much the same as the first but didn't seem as witty or funny as the first. I thought the character of Jack Sparrow was a little subdued this time around but it's a 2nd part to a 3 part trilogy so we will see what happens.

Now for those that have seen it I have a question. I'm afraid I dont know how to black out spoilers so I will try and keep it simple.I want to know why the monkey is still undead? The rest of the crew became mortal once the treasure was returned in the first one so why not the monkey or did I miss something. Thanks in advance.
                    Last edited by Sithlord; 14 July 2006, 05:27 Friday.

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Sithlord
                      why the monkey is still undead?

Just guessing, but probably the monkey grabbed a piece of the gold and ran off with it afterwards. So he'd be the only one cursed at that point.

Or they just threw it in for laughs and didn't bother to justify it.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Sith, I added the spoiler tags for you. Just edit the post to see how they are used if you are interested.

I'll go your question one further: How is Barbarosa still alive? He was killed at the end of the original.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sithlord
                          • Aug 2004

Thanks David for that. I wanted to say what you said but didn't want to spoil things for others. I guess we have to assume that Barbarosa either faked his death or he took a piece of gold just before he got shot. May have to do some hunting on the net for some of these answers.

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

I'd guess not.

They are talking about resurrecting Jack, and saying to do so you have to go to the ends of the Earth. And if you are going there, you need a captain who's been. Cue Barbosa's entrance. Implication - he's died and has been to the ends of the Earth, been resurrected himself and come back.We'll have to wait to find out who did so, and why? .

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Yeah, but is Jack - s'cuse me, Captain Jack - really dead or is he just pulling a Jonah inside the kraken? All you have to go on is inferred from what the witch said. I'm just throwing out options here.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sithlord
                                • Aug 2004

Guys lets not forget Jack took a vial from the voodoo women and put it in his pocket. Looked like a black substance to me and will guess that it will enable Jack to breath underwater. Bring on part 3

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

Under water, or goo?

Eeeyew.

BB

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"