Women love chest. Think Hope Chest and young girls. Then subs.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobhowell
    • Jul 2008

Women love chest. Think Hope Chest and young girls. Then subs.

My two daughters have mentioned various chest often over the years. We got a 300 yr old english oak chest from my Mother this winter. All the ladies admire it when they walk through. It must be 3 cf. Probably got to do with young maidens, marrige, and Hope Chest. I decided to finish up a chest I started 10yr back and now noticed it was about 1 cf. and sits on 3" bun feet which my daughters love. The plate amp and woofer will both fit on the bottem. End tables and coffee tables will only get you so far. Woodworking mags are full of chest ideas your wife will love and will contain a great sub. Also, they seem to fit best on a wall, off from the main seating area. High WAF.

Bob Howell
  • lexiphanic
    • Feb 2007

That is possibly the weirdest thread title I've seen in a while.

Are you going to just make a faux chest then? Looks like it will open, but sealed shut?

Comment

• 1oldguy
      • Dec 2008

LOL I think your right LeX
      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• bobhowell
        • Jul 2008

My plan is to slip total of 3 subs in to the livingroom. It has had me stumped till now.

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

Cool idea. A woof in sheep's clothing. (intentional mispelling)

Comment

• bobhowell
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by lexiphanic

Are you going to just make a faux chest then? Looks like it will open, but sealed shut?
            I just measured a 36x20x19 chest I have plans for. It is 8 cf gross. I could get a nice 5cf sub in it and still have 3-4 inches for what would look like a top shelf. I bet most of you guys aren't even married. WAF is still a mistery to you.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Ah I'm nearly married, been together 5 years and we have 2 kids She lets me do as I please lol.

Comment

• JoshK
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bobhowell
                I just measured a 36x20x19 chest I have plans for. It is 8 cf gross. I could get a nice 5cf sub in it and still have 3-4 inches for what would look like a top shelf. I bet most of you guys aren't even married. WAF is still a mistery to you.
                Married 7 years next month.

Comment

• stangbat
                  • Jan 2008

Hmm, good idea. I have an old (probably 125+ years) chest behind my couch. It is one of the chests that was used in the late 1800s when immigrants were arriving by boat from Europe. So basically a person's entire worldly possessions were inside it, which means it is rather large. Some quick measurements how it to be a little over 14 cuft. That would be an impressive sub. But right now it is holding the kid's toys. But even after the kids are out of the house, I don't think I'd get away with modifying it for HT use. :M

Comment

• BeerParty
                    • Oct 2008

If you want to build one, you could always start with a set of plans for these:

Rockler sells the hardware to dress them up, and you would have plenty of room to work with.

BTW - married 15 years and WAF is still critical to my survival :roll:
                    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• bobhowell
                      • Jul 2008

I have a plan Drawn by Carlyle Lynch 30 years back. It is known as the Six Board Chest. He has 150 plans in the series and they are marketed on the internet by some company,

Tools for Working Wood Tools is a Brooklyn based manufacturer and supplier of quality woodworking tools.

It is 36x20x25 and sits on 5in. legs. Thats 7 cf of chest gross. I plan a scaled down version for a 1cf sealed Rss265HF/240 watt PA. It will be 21x13x11 or so, on 3in. legs. I will make it out of 1.25" poplar and MDF. It will be easy to make it look like it is 200yrs old and mellow as the ladies like.

Comment

• bobhowell
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by lexiphanic

Some of you young Bucks laugh at my efforts but wait. Also, the wife may approve, but wait till your daughter grows up. They are MUCH harsher critics. Besides, this is their childhood home and they will choose your old folks home , as you did for Grandma. So you will eventually HAVE to deal with WAF AND DAF. Or SUFFER.

The 26yr old daughter breezed through and cooed "this chest is a perfect pocketbook holder. And it looks sooo good. I want one too"

I had brought it up from the shop partially finished and my wife moved it just where she wanted it. (just where it would work best as a sub.) To me though, it was a 1.2 cf down firing, 10",240watt, sealed, sub.

Success for all.

Comment

• aduljr
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bobhowell
                          Some of you young Bucks laugh at my efforts but wait. Also, the wife may approve, but wait till your daughter grows up. They are MUCH harsher critics. Besides, this is their childhood home and they will choose your old folks home , as you did for Grandma. So you will eventually HAVE to deal with WAF AND DAF. Or SUFFER.

The 26yr old daughter breezed through and cooed "this chest is a perfect pocketbook holder. And it looks sooo good. I want one too"

I had brought it up from the shop partially finished and my wife moved it just where she wanted it. (just where it would work best as a sub.) To me though, it was a 1.2 cf down firing, 10",240watt, sealed, sub.

Success for all.
                          Pics?

Comment

• bobhowell
                            • Jul 2008

Here is the Penn Small Chest I started years back and just got a piece of wood for the top. It sat in the den for a week while I made some design decisions. I then noticed it was a potential model for a sub. As is it has .9 cf, but is going to be better as a chest.

I then got to work on the sub, which is at the stage pictured. It is 1.2 cf, but with bracing and driver/amp will come out 1 cf+. You see an RSS265HF 10" fited and it will be powered by a PE 240Watt amp with Boost in sealed box.

Hope the pics come out. This has failed before.

Bob
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"