X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

New Pixar movie "Cars"

We're about a month away from Pixar's new movie "Cars" being released. I know that there's a lot of people who are highly excited about this one, just like me.

Pixar has done so incredibly great with every movie they've done so far, making a great flick, that I'm always apprehensive though, when they do a new one, that it's not going to measure up to Pixar greatness. I'll keep my fingers crossed, though!

One thing that was IMMEDIATELY obvious to me, though, is that seeing the preview ads on HDTV, the movie is being done INCREDIBLY well with picture quality. I was stunned by the PQ, and that's just the ads! This one will be a prime candidate to be released straight to HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray later this year or early 2007.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • zorg
    • Dec 2005

I'm excited Chris, can't wait for this one.... On another note does anyone in the movie industry know where to get / buy the props from (ie the cardboard cutouts of the cars) they use to promote the movies in the cinema, my son would love one for his room, or keep an eye on ebay?

for Sally Carrera aka Porsche 911 they borrowed a real one to get accurate dimensions.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by zorg
      I'm excited Chris, can't wait for this one.... On another note does anyone in the movie industry know where to get / buy the props from (ie the cardboard cutouts of the cars) they use to promote the movies in the cinema, my son would love one for his room, or keep an eye on ebay?

for Sally Carrera aka Porsche 911 they borrowed a real one to get accurate dimensions.
      Ask the theatre manager
      Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

And down the road your local video rental place.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by zorg
          Borrowed? Geez, I would have bet there was at least one in their parking lot already.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

This week! Already getting some very good reviews:

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Chris D
              This week! Already getting some very good reviews:
              Ebert and Roeper gave a big thumbs up. I think they said Paul Newman plays one of the cars.
              Last edited by Chris D; 05 December 2016, 12:24 Monday.
              Keith

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Co-worker in the lighting group got to go work the big racetrack premiere back east. He likes Pixar's previous efforts OK, but not a big fan or anything. He says this movie just all out rocks.

I am stuck in Japan, where it doesn't open until after I go home, and my family is going without me. Grrrrrrrr.

Newman is Doc Hudson the town judge, an old Hudson Hornet, a car known at the time for it uncanny cornering ability due to a very low CG.

BB

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I am really looking forward to this one.
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Won't be seeing it at the cinema, but look forward to the dvd.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• brendon
                      • Aug 2004

Hi All '
                      I went to the movies with the Wife and kids and saw this yesterday.
                      I dont think this was as good as the Incredibles as far as story line and ability to empathise with the characters goes but overall still very watchable ,although it failed to hold my six year olds attention during the slow middle section.
                      I saw this at an older theatre and the sound side was dissapointing compared to watching the Incredibles at home on my modest 3.0 set up.I think the sound may have been a lot better on a newer screen .The Race track sceens sound track seem to be lacking in punch compared to something like Days of Thunder.
                      As usual lots of amazing detail in the animation.
                      Over all as compared to the other Pixar films I would give it 3.5 out of 5 but thats still way be better than most! :T
                      Brendon

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Currently rating a 77% at Rotten Tomatoes. Getting some mixed reviews, but leaning on the positive side.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Sithlord
                          • Aug 2004

I just saw this one and must say it's not up to par with the past offerings. The characters aren't very memorable and as brendon mentioned theres a slow boring middle that just takes you out of the picture.The visuals as always are amazing and the sound was pretty good as well. This one seems to be about the merchandise which lets face it, kids and toy cars go hand in hand. I also rate it the same as brendon. Bring on the sequel to The Incredibles.

Comment

• Brandon B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Sithlord
                            Bring on the sequel to The Incredibles.
                            Before ew merged with Pixar, I feared this, as it would have meant a Disney studio production.

Now that they are us, I would be totally jazzed by this. My second favorite movie ever.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

You're going to make us ask, aren't you, Brandon? Okay... so what's your MOST favorite?

Back from Japan yet? Been able to see "Cars"?
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

You have to ask? I'm a special effects geek. I just spent a few hundred $ on this, this, this and this and I probably won't build them for years, and had to build a shelf over my kid's bedroom window to house his fleet of vehicles because availabe space was used up.

And to your other questions, nope and nope. Family went to the company screening and enjoyed it thoroughly.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Okay... would that make it Episode 4 specifically? Or another? (I just watched Ep IV tonight)
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2001

What is this Epsiode IV you speak of? My favorite movie is called Star Wars.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Oh, you mean the 12 hour long movie?
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jun 2001

Nah. I just refuse to use the title "A New Hope". Lame lame lame lame lame.

My kid calls it that to bug me.

Now I like Empire, and would probably even agree it is a better crafted movie if backed into a corner and beaten severely, but Star Wars is the reason I ended up in the job I have and I get and have gotten more enjoyment from watching it than anything else out there.

Downside is I CANNOT watch the SE DVD. I saw the original 33 times in 1977-78 in large Los Angeles theaters with great sound and screen. It is very very thoroughly burned into my consciousness. So when the stormtroopers break into the Tantive IV and the flash screens are pink instead of white, and R2's blue bits are glowing fluorescently, and most especially when the X-wings launch their attack run and the music fanfare is TOTALLY drowned out by engine roar, it literally jolts me out of the movie. It's like if you normally kiss your wife by tilting your head to the left to avoid nose bump, but she suddenly decides to start right-tilting. It's still enjoyable and all, but your also thinking "hey, there's something different, what's going on?" instead of just enjoying yourself.

That's why I was real keen on the release of the original trilogy, until they suckified it in nearly every coneivable way possible.

When I first saw The Incredibles, I actually got that old feeling back again. Loved everything about the movie. Totally empathized with Bob (although my belly and muscles are rather less and my job, while not what it used to be, is still pretty good). Loved the action sequences and wanted more when they ended. Went out immediately and bought the soundtrack. It just clicked. I am the dead center bullseye the intended demographic for that film. I have probably watched it 30 times now and my enjoyment is not dimished in any way.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                          So when the stormtroopers break into the Tantive IV and the flash screens are pink instead of white, and R2's blue bits are glowing fluorescently, and most especially when the X-wings launch their attack run and the music fanfare is TOTALLY drowned out by engine roar, it literally jolts me out of the movie. It's like if you normally kiss your wife by tilting your head to the left to avoid nose bump, but she suddenly decides to start right-tilting. It's still enjoyable and all, but your also thinking "hey, there's something different, what's going on?" instead of just enjoying yourself.
                                          Heheeee... great description. I was watching the Ep IV SE last night, and was a little taken aback by the blue glow from R2's panels. Don't know what is up with that.

Well, when the uber-edition comes out, we'll have to see what Lucas does to all the movies this time.

Okay, back to "Cars". Still getting good reviews, but not as good as I would have anticipated.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

I've talked to a few people who have seen Cars now and they all thoroughly enjoyed it :T My sister did note that she felt it ran just a tad long though.

On a side note Jazz and I watched the Incredibles again last weekend
                                            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Just got back from seeing it. It had some slow moments, where I felt that the pacing dragged a bit. Doesn't quite make the greatness of "Toy Story" or maybe "Nemo", so it's probably one of Pixar's lesser movies. Therefore I really can't give it any more than :45:

That's really saying something about Pixar when one of your lesser movies gets 4 and a half stars. Overall, GREAT movie. The intro had me hooked in the first few seconds. Great fast-past opening. In general, there was some FANTASTIC action scenes that really get you going, and Pixar always does sentiment right. Every movie has to vary the pacing and feel of scenes to allow the audience to catch their breath and really get drawn into the story, but I felt that some of the "connecting" scenes were just a *little* bit on the overly slow side.

I have to say, I can NOT wait for the DVD of this one. There were several scenes, mostly the NASCAR races, that really indicated to me that this movie could be the highest movie for SQ and PQ ***EVER***. It is really, really going to rock on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, and if released as such, could even be the reason that I buy into those formats. I just have to get the movie into my high-end theater to really evaluate it!

Very good movie, just not exceptional. Even my 2 year old daughter enjoyed it, although like Brendon, she lost interest in the slower scenes. Again, :45:
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

I brought my daughter (5 year old) to see and she loved it, though not as much as her old man. I've been a car nut my whole life (had a subscription to Car and Driver FOUR years before I was old enough to drive). When I saw Richard Petty's famous Charger I knew this was going to be a great movie. Went back (with my dad in tow--a bigger car nut than me, and one who remembers the Hudson) less than a week later and enjoyed it even more. I noticed a whole bunch of background elements that had passed me by the first time out (like how the contrails in the sky are tireprints, for one example among hundreds). I can see how this might not be as generally appealing as The Incredibles or Toy Story or Nemo but for car nuts, it is fantastic.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                  I can see how this might not be as generally appealing as The Incredibles or Toy Story or Nemo but for car nuts, it is fantastic.
                                                  Hi all,

Saw it last night.

Would agree with you completely. As a bit of a 'petrolhead' as we're known over here, I really loved the auto humour. It's a Pixar movie so it's going to look and sound fantastic and bring the evolution of computer animation on another couple of notches. I enjoyed the story - agreed it's not as involvong or as 'warm' as some of their other efforts but it was a good tale none the less.

The thing about movies like this is they're made to appeal to an audience of all ages. A little bit of kiddie humour, a fair bit of general humour and a bit of adult humour - "He did what in yer cup?!" Therefore there are nearly always going to be moments when the kiddies loose interest. There was a whole bunch on them in the cinema last night and you could hear them all kicking off at the same time as their interest waned.

However, I was captivated for the entire movie. Again, as a petrolhead I really got the humout and so many of the jokes - lots of which if you are not into cars, you may not 'get'.

A comment was made about the Porsche earlier in the thread - Pixar wanted to use a vintage model however, Porsche persuaded them to use a 2004 Carrera! In addition, motion sensors were used to exactly map the road handling of pretty much all the cars depicted in the movie. I loved that!

Anyhow, my rating? 4.5/5.....

V.
                                                  Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
                                                  😀
                                                  😂
                                                  🥰
                                                  😘
                                                  🤢
                                                  😎
                                                  😞
                                                  😡
                                                  👍
                                                  👎
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"