X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cars 2

Pixar movies have routinely gotten some good discussion here. I myself make no apology in saying that I'm a fan/believer in Pixar products. Haven't seen this one yet though.

Who's seen it? Any good? Unfortunately, it's currently receiving a TERRIBLE 35% on the Rotten Tomatometer, which is unheard of for a Pixar movie. Audience rating is a mark better, currently at 64%.

I've read three reviews now, that talk about Cars 2 being "preachy" and liberal, compromising the movie. I'm quite sad to hear this. Pixar has, above ALL, traditionally been all about the STORY, putting it above the graphics, technology, etc. "WALL-E" started to get a bit preachy, but then I didn't really find "Up" much preachy, I guess.

Hoping this is yet another good Pixar product, and the reviews are just wrong on this one.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

It wasn't bad. It was entertaining.
    The movie was mostly about Mater though. The race scenes were much better than the first Cars movie. And fortunately, there was no drown out boring part in the middle of the movie. It was a nice movie.

Now, I can't really say the movie was "preachy" as some of the reviews posted. Yes, it can be taken that way because it was about gasoline, but if you REALLY think about... it's a movie about a car world. The story makes sense. What are they going to do.. make a story about a baby car? It's just a solid story that relates to cars. I don't think it was really a message movie. Just my 2 cents.

The kids at the theater were laughing a lot. So I'd say if you have kids, it's definitely worth the trip.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I quite enjoyed it (as did my kids, my son, especially). I also enjoyed the first one quite a bit (if you check around, it is the least liked--before this one--Pixar movie).

I have a theory as to the Cars vs. critics issue (both movies count for this). John Lassiter makes no bones about it--he LOVES cars, race cars, old cars, new cars… He is also a big fan of NASCAR and that, unfortunately, gets one branded in a certain way among a particular class of urban dwellers among whom are critics of the arts, including film (I will remain vague as this is not a forum to discuss political and cultural disputes). I have a number of friends whom are indifferent about cars (they view them as mere tools of transportation). That is their right. They tend to be underwhelmed by Cars vs. other Pixar films. I have other friends (and family) who are "car nuts" (like me) and they tend to be very appreciative of Cars.

I do think, for anyone who is not a kid, that the enjoyment of Cars/Cars 2 does require a certain passion for automobiles (thus making them a bit less universally appealing than most other Pixar films).

I will be adding it to the collection pretty much on release day (which is something of a rarity for me as I usually wait for special deals).
      Last edited by Ovation; 20 July 2011, 15:37 Wednesday.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Amazon has a deal, where if you pre-order it now, you get $10 off. Not a bad deal.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"