X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Pixar's Monsters University

This is a prequel to Pixar's popular Monster's Inc, telling the story of how ALL of the main characters of the original movie (I can't think of any left out) met each other. Mainly about Mike Wiszowski and James P. Sullivan, as they meet in college, initially on very bad terms.

Overall, a very good movie. I thought most of it lacked the stalwart Pixar charm, the little piece of storytelling excellence that really puts the movie into the next level. However, the climax suddenly picked it up, and the movie really finished strong. Those who know my reviews here know that I hold Pixar to a higher standard than other film productions, because they've established a general track record that has rarely strayed from top excellence. Generally, Pixar has established themselves beyond production companies that make a movie just because they need to put out a 100 minute movie to entertain and make a few bucks. Pixar movies typically pursue (and usually achieve) the disappearing art of telling a worthwhile, high quality story.

Picture quality was very good. I have always found the highest picture quality discs in my home movie collection come from my animated and/or high CGI movies. Thus I always anticipate that the latest Pixar release will be in consideration for a top contender of picture and/or audio quality. There were several scenes that looked exceptional, such as a university campus shot about 1/3 of the way through the movie, right after the boys are thrown out of the Scarer program, about halfway through the movie in the frat campus party scene, 3/4 of the way through at the night scene at the lake inside the world of the children, and the climax finale. I took the family to see this one in 2D. Timing didn't work to see the 3D showing, and even if it had, I don't know if my 4 year old would have tolerated the 3D glasses for 2 hours. (plus, those who know my reviews and opinions know that I still am not sold on 3D as a movie/video staple)

Side note, I wasn't sure if we'd get John Ratzenberger is this film, as is Pixar tradition, until the end and the Abominable Snowman cameo. I also really liked the subtle (but significant) plot aspect that after such a big accomplishment in the story climax, Mike and Sully still weren't allowed back into the Scarer program, but rather worked their way up the ranks of Monsters, Inc to the point at which we find them in the original movie. This leads to a nice ancillary moral to the story. I was also rather struck by the very difficult corner that Pixar painted themselves into at the story climax. In the cabin, when the adult police/rangers come in, Mike and Sully's only hope is to scare them so severely, their screams power the door from the inside. Thus, Pixar needs to show a scene that would be bone-terrifying to an adult... inside an animated kids movie. This is pretty well played, and I didn't feel concerned about my children being with me.

I only go see movies in theaters now if they are exceptional in some way to me, and just about any Pixar movie qualifies for me and my family. It was worth it this time. The movie was tracking along for 4 stars, but the climax of the movie brought it up another notch. Not the best movie Pixar has ever made, but I'd say a bit above average of their offerings, which is pretty darn good. In the end, I give :45: out of :5:, and this will definitely be another BD purchase for me.

Next up, I'll be taking the family to see Despicable Me 2. We're big fans of the Minions.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Thank you for your informative review (and I appreciate that you hid the "spoilers"). I'll look forward to watching this on BluRay. There isn't a commercial theater within 50 miles of my house worth the hassle of going to unless the movie gets 6 out of 5 stars.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

One thing I noted, for a family of 4 having a short but relaxed night out, with tickets, popcorn/movie snacks, and then a light dinner at IHOP, it came to over $100. The movie and snacks were more than the IHOP dinner, so if we had gone somewhere else for a sit-down dinner, it could have easily been more than that.

This movie's doing pretty good on Rotten Tomatoes, currently sitting at 77%. Here's a quote from Richard Roeper I found pertinent:

This is a safe, predictable, edge-free, nearly bland effort from a studio that rarely hedges its bets.
      He gave the movie a thumbs down overall and is in the minority. I think I'd actually agree with him about a lot of the movie. There were definitely parts that could have been part of any movie, animated or not, telling a fairly mainstream story in a "safe" production. But I did think Pixar brought it up a notch in the climax to raise the overall movie value.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"