X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Club Pioneer

I am the proud owner of the VSX27TX Pioneer Elite rcvr. It has been one of nice surprises of my system. I bought it because it was one of the few rcvr's on the market (and still is) that offered THX processing, an RF de-modulator, and a phono input. Not to mention the fantastic sound that is puts out and it beauty!

Though I have no desire to upgrade, I know there has been issues with this series of "Elite" units. Let's get in here talk about the pros and cons as well as the satisfaction or dislikes of these products.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

i could participate in a Club Pioneer, and Club Elite of course

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Lex,

I was wondering what was taking you so long to post to this thread! Heck, it was your enthusiam/satisfaction with your Elite rcvr that convinced me to look further into this line ( but this was during those days of the other forum!).

I thought about attempting an "Elite" only club. Then realizing that some of the technology trickles down to the standard line, it seemed natural to just include all of the product lines.

I'm glad you choose to swing by! :LOL:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hmmm, does an Elite RPTV qualify me to play? Oh, we've also got that portable DVD player (8" 16:9 screen) Pioneer came out with a couple of years ago.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

[/size] [/size]

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Of course you can play to David! 8) I would go as far to say that, you own the most sought out Elite product...period! The Elite televisions have been well documented as the pinnacle (subjective) of RPTV. And those that own them have always been, well ;x( yeah, what that sign means! :LOL:

Comment

• anthonyh
            • Feb 2005

I am debating right now between the Elite VSX-56TXi and the Rotel 1056. I have them set up in my living room attempting an A/B type of evaluation. Although I do not consider myself an audiphile, I do appreciate music, which is why I am only evaluating 2 channel music. I figure if they perform well on that, movies are a piece of cake. Can anyone offer any advice as my loaner period on the receivers expire soon? I should add this receiver needs to be durable, as I am just now replacing a Carver HR-895 Pro-Logic receiver I've had for 12 years and I hope to have a solid foundation from this next purchase for many years also. The Elite obviously has many more whizzbang features, but it does have a good sound as well, IMO, it blew away the Denon 3805 in this regard. The Rotel, has quite a following and many rave reviews under its belt unlike the Elite. It has a 5 year warranty compared with just 2 on the Elite. Of course there are no whizzbang features on it. So I am truly perplexed which one to purchase. Help, advice, feedback needed!

Comment

• billz260
              • Dec 2004

No elite here but I did just get the new 1014 and it is a very good unit for the budget, $450! Very clean, clear and I like all the options. It could have a couple more digital and component inputs but that's about my only complaint.

I would like to know if other recievers offer the "7-ch Stereo" option that the 1014 does. I really like that it fills the room with stereo comparted to just my bookshelf fronts. Anyone have any comments towards this?

Comment

• JohnH
                • Feb 2005

anthonyh: i've been looking at the VSX-56TXi vs the Denon 3805 as the replacement for my old receiver - curious as to what made you like the Pioner more? I'm planning to make the purchase soon and wsa happy with my last (old two-channel amp) Pioneer, but a friend is pushing the Denon as better but i'm not convinced.

Thanks.

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

Hey, we have a club I can fit in to! I have a Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi DVD player. :B So far in the limited amount of playing with it it seems to be a very impressive piece of gear.

Now I just have to rebuild my house so I have a home theater to put the DV-59AVi in!

Comment

• anthonyh
                    • Feb 2005

JohnH

JohnH,

Well, let me explain the situation. I was in an HT store that had a room full of Receivers. They had it set up in such a way to allow simultaneous A/B switching. So with the same source component (dvd player), and the same speakers (Def Tech powered towers), I was able to play multiple cds and switch between the 2 receivers. I only auditioned 2 channel music as my theory goes, that if it works well on music, HT shouldn't be a problem.
                    The first disc I put in was Bela Fleck and to my ears, the Denon sounded better. But with the rest of the 4 or 5 discs I listened to, the Elite was the hands down winner. This is all very subjective of course, but I found the Elite to have a warmer, more relaxed sound, especially in the high frequencies. There was more depth to the soundstage and a huge difference in the lower register. The bass was more pronounced with the Elite than the Denon.
                    Feature to feature, they certainly are comparable and with street prices, the Denon is several hundred dollars cheaper. But with the sound difference I heard that night, the extra dough would have been worth it, as I don't upgrade all that often. As most people on here will tell you, you need to listen to them yourself. Ask the sales rep what the policy for auditions are. Take it home and demo it on your speakers, with your gear, in your room. That really is the only real way to know for sure. I hope this helps. I also have to confess that I am perplexed with the direction I will head in my receiver purchase. I had to return the Rotel on Sunday, I have a couple more weeks before I have to return the Elite, so for now, I'm doing A/B with it and my Carver until I can bring something else home to demo. Let me know what you decide. Good luck!

Comment

• JohnH
                      • Feb 2005

Thanks Anthonyh. I do intend to audition both receivers in the next few weeks. I tend to keep electronics for a while (the "outbound" receiver is 10+ yrs old) so i like to get a few experienced opinions as well as my own. I've had good experience with Pioneer, but none with Denon, so i lean towards the familiar.
                      I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Comment

• anthonyh
                        • Feb 2005

Great, I hope it goes well. What can you tell me about Pioneer, specifically their Elite series. I am currently auditioning their Elite VSX-5TXi receiver.

Comment

• JohnH
                          • Feb 2005

I haven't owned an Elite series yet. My last stereo power amp was a Pioneer and it had fantastic sound and lasted forever. When i was growing up we always had Pioneer equipment at home - it always sounded good and again, lasts forever (my mom still has Pioneer equipment we bought in the 70's).
                          My wording above may have been slightly confusing (now that i've re-read it); when i said "none with Denon" i did mean i've never owned a Denon, not that i've had a bad experience with them.
                          I'm taking a few audio disks & movies to the local dealer today to start comparing the Pioneer to the Denon, then i hope to try them at my home. I'll keep you posted.

john

Comment

• JohnH
                            • Feb 2005

After spending time with both the Denon 3805 and the Elite VSX-56TXi I found that the Pioneer won hands-down and i am happy to say the Elite 56TXi is now mine. The specs are similar between the two receivers, but i liked the sound of the Pioneer much better - especially after the audio room calibrations were run. The Pioneer system did a much nicer sounding calibration - the Denon sounded harsh; as if it was optimized for maximum sound pressure for each frequency instead of having a smooth overall response. The 56TXi has a 'warmer' sound to my ears and a much better overall balance; movies can be played loud without being painful. The same was not true for the Denon.

I've got the remote set to operate all the components except the Motorola HDTV / PVR cable-box. For some reason that unit is not on the list - i'll have to manually program it.

But anyway, i am very happy with the sound from the Elite receiver - i've been re-watching movies over the weekend and they sound completely new - i'm hearing things i never heard before (my old receiver was 10+ years old and did not perform any audio processing - everything had to be decoded in the DVD player).

Cheers!
                            John

Comment

• krek
                              • Jun 2005

Although the last message in this club is from a couple of months back, I enjoyed reading your reviews of the Pioneer vs the Denon receiver. My experiences where exactly the same when comparing a vsx-2014i to a denon 3805. Maybe we should post our findings on Club Denon to let them know what they are missing .

Michel

Comment

• speakerboy
                                • Nov 2005

Hey...is this the forum to discuss Pioneer Elite equipment? If so, does anybody know when the SC-09TX flagship receiver will come out? I heard Spring 2008. I'd like upgrade my flagship 59TXi receiver. For the price of the 09TX receiver, I thought I might consider the Integra line and Marantz line as well.... Any particular opinions on other flagship receivers?
                                Last edited by speakerboy; 14 February 2008, 20:57 Thursday.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                  • Jun 2006

Hi Lex,

Is there a Club Arcam, and if not how do I set up one?

Cheers

Yas

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Just post a new thread in this subfourm! (do a forum search first, for "Arcam", seeing if there's a dedicated thread"
                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by speakerboy
                                      Hey...is this the forum to discuss Pioneer Elite equipment? If so, does anybody know when the SC-09TX flagship receiver will come out? I heard Spring 2008. I'd like upgrade my flagship 59TXi receiver. For the price of the 09TX receiver, I thought I might consider the Integra line and Marantz line as well.... Any particular opinions on other flagship receivers?
                                      The SC-09TX is shipping in March. Pioneer has started taking orders and is on schedule to ship in March.

Eric

Comment

• KRC
                                        • Aug 2004

I just bought a Pioneer BDP-HD50 Blu-ray player. Awesome picture and sound, even playing regular CD's and DVD's there is an improvement. My pet peeve is it is so damn slow in powering up, scanning a disc and starting to play. Is this normal?

Kevin

Comment

• Dmantis
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KRC
                                          I just bought a Pioneer BDP-HD50 Blu-ray player. Awesome picture and sound, even playing regular CD's and DVD's there is an improvement. My pet peeve is it is so damn slow in powering up, scanning a disc and starting to play. Is this normal?

Kevin
                                          unfortunately it is. All stand alone players are very slow. The only player that boots up quickly is the Playstation 3. I like the Elite players after they boot up.

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

Pioneer has been such a great provider of blue collar A/V, and of higher end as well, I wanted to bring this club back up to the top. I have always loved Pioneer Elite products.
                                            Doug

Comment

• Dmantis
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Lex
                                              Pioneer has been such a great provider of blue collar A/V, and of higher end as well, I wanted to bring this club back up to the top. I have always loved Pioneer Elite products.
                                              I stand beside you on that. I will always have Pioneer Elite something in my system. I have had many AVR's , DVD and Blu ray players , I also am a very proud owner of the last and greatest TV IMO ever made , my Elite 60 inch Kuro.
                                              I'm currently rocking a Pioneer Elite SC-68 which replaced a Pioneer ELite SC-07. Since I got deeper into computer music , this was the perfect choice for an upgrade. I was going to get a external DAC but after Demoing the SC-68 , I was sold.
                                              I'm really hoping Pioneer Elite brings back a new TV , yeah the Elite LED's are nice but to me they are not a true Elite as they are not Pioneer.
                                              I'm also hoping on a high end Blu ray player as I was not fond of my BDP53FD which I believe was made by Sharp , rumor I heard it was. They need to bring back the quality of the DV79avi which was one of my best DVD players in a Universal form. I had the 59 and the first of it's kind in the DV47a , I really loved that player.
                                              I have a 300 Disc CD player in the basement I have not used in years , it has the wood side panels like my VSX29TX had. That was a cool matching pair.
                                              I also rocked a Laser Disc player , I'll have to post some old pic's.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jun 2004

Some old pic's of old Elite gear.

Comment

• kcsun
                                                  • Jan 2012

Hi Chris
                                                  I will join you if you start an Arcam thread, I have an AVR600, I've been on the factory tour (like stepping back to the 1950's) and know a few of the staff

kc
                                                  Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
                                                  B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Dmantis,

Nice pictures! That is a great setup.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Well, my VSX-27TX has moved from my room to the living room. It is only required to do two channel lifting there and of course, does it well.

A few months ago I came across a CTW603RS dual tape deck and a VSX-D607S receiver. Both were in fantastic shape. For the price they were asking for each, I just couldn't pass on them. So I have the tape deck in my room (doing a great job) and the receiver in the home office (also doing a very solid job).

I also have a DVL-700 Laserdisc player, which has been taken out of service. It sits boxed in the closet as I just don't watch laserdisc anymore.

Someday, I'm going to put together a nice complete Pioneer system in one of those two rooms. I still enjoy the sound and look of Pioneer equipment. Even though my main room is now based with Emotiva.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
                                                        Dmantis,

Nice pictures! That is a great setup.
                                                        That was my system back in 2001-2003. I only own the Elite 300 disc CD player but have not used it in many years. It sits in my pile of old audio gear. One day I'd like to open a Audio/video Museum that takes you through the years and how this hobby developed. Starting with a record player that you wind up to quad to dolby surround , then Prologic. Moving into the first Dolby Digital external recorder and so forth. I also would like to take a few lines of speakers like Polk , Mirage , Klipsch , Boston Acoustics , B&W , Definitive Technology etc and have a history lesson on them as well with time lines and progression to todays models.
                                                        I need to hit to lottery to make this all happen or have someone sponsor it. I'd also setup working rooms for people to go into and listen like 8 tracks , cassettes , first run CD's up to todays streaming and computer music. How cool would it be to have a full Sony SACD multichannel room with Sony B&W looking speakers all the way around powered by their separates of that time?
                                                        Maybe last but not least have a cable history , how it evolved over the years. How Polk audio and Monster cable basically started the after market cable market.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jun 2004

It saddens me a bit I only have 2 Pioneer Elite pieces in my system , a 60 inch Kuro and a SC-68. I'd love to have a Blu ray player and maybe the new Streaming N50 which I gotta check out.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Dmantis,

That is an awesome idea. I hope you get the opportunity to see it come to fruition.

Comment

• Lex
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Apr 2001

I have 2 300 disc Elite dvd carousels/changers not being used. When I got a dvd player that up converted to 1080i, I decided to pull my discs and remove them. I may list them for sale soon when I figure out what they are worth.

On a more positive note for my Elite usage, I did purchase a FD-62 recently for blu-ray, 3D, SACD, DVD Audio playback. Currently, I am only using blu-ray, as I do not have a 3d display device at this time. I am sure my next flat panel will be 3d someday... no rush.

I wrote a basic review of the player in the articles section (click articles tab above). I hope more of our members put reviews in the articles. you can start a post as a blog entry, then promote it to article status at any time.

I still have a Pioneer elite tsx-24 (I think that's right) receiver in the bedroom, as long as it will hold on for light usage.

Doug
                                                              Doug

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

Lex,

Glad to read the new FD-62 is working well for you.

Your old receiver's model is VSX-24TX. :yesnod:

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                                  • Jun 2006

Ahh, new thread. I'll play.

My Pioneer DVL-909 LaserDisc/DVD player. I keep it around for nasalgia purposes. I dumped most of my LD's years ago when the getting was good though I do have a few dozen leftovers. It's fun to watch the original Star Wars movies every now and then too...

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jun 2004

Looks sweet , I really enjoyed Laster Disc when I had it.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

It does look nice. I think the fun of playing laserdisc, isn't all that different than spinning an album. The big/bold cover art gets you hooked and the rest is pure pie!

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jun 2004

Here are some other Pioneer ELite Pic's , What do you guys think of hre brushed look over the original urushi finish?

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 2703

Dmantis,

Nice looking setup. That rack is sweet!

As to your question, I have no issue with either finish. I think they both look great. And I can appreciate what each brings to the party. But..., if I had to choose; the urushi would be my first choice. I fell in love the first time I laid eyes on it (almost two decades ago). I wish I had the money at the time to purchase the complete rack system I saw. It included the Pioneer Elite Reference Loudspeakers System (TZ-F700).

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jun 2004
                                                                            • 1036

Another quite area of the forum.

Is no one into Pioneer Elite anymore?

I'm sad to say right now I have NO Elite gear in my current system. I took down my Pioneer Elite 60 inch Kuro in favor of going 4k and put up a Sony Z9D. Then I replaced my Elite 62FD Blu ray player with first a Sony X700 and now a Oppo 203. The Receiver was the last Pioneer Elite piece I had which was the SC-99 but I pulled that to in favor or Dolby Vision in got a Sony STRZ5000es. I look at my old pic's on this thread and it makes me sad. Times have changed so much over the years.

I miss having Pioneer Elite Gear. I think Pioneer Elite isn't the same anymore but I heard they are coming out with a new UHD Blu ray player soon and I will have to keep my eye on it. It's supposed to be a Universal Player which is something I still hold onto and has value to me.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2004
                                                                              • 2202

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Dmantis
                                                                              Another quite area of the forum.

Is no one into Pioneer Elite anymore?

I'm sad to say right now I have NO Elite gear in my current system. I took down my Pioneer Elite 60 inch Kuro in favor of going 4k and put up a Sony Z9D. Then I replaced my Elite 62FD Blu ray player with first a Sony X700 and now a Oppo 203. The Receiver was the last Pioneer Elite piece I had which was the SC-99 but I pulled that to in favor or Dolby Vision in got a Sony STRZ5000es. I look at my old pic's on this thread and it makes me sad. Times have changed so much over the years.

I miss having Pioneer Elite Gear. I think Pioneer Elite isn't the same anymore but I heard they are coming out with a new UHD Blu ray player soon and I will have to keep my eye on it. It's supposed to be a Universal Player which is something I still hold onto and has value to me.
                                                                              Pioneer's presence in the last decade has dropped dramatically. Ever since Onkyo acquired the Pioneer consumer electronics division, there has been a slow merging of gear. It is similar to Denon/Marantz--not identical AVRs, but heavily borrowing from one another (mostly Marantz borrowing from Denon and adding a few distinct touches). Onkyo/Pioneer have not yet integrated to that point--they each have a proprietary room-EQ, for example--but I expect further integration as time goes by. I've not owned any Pioneer Elite gear (though not because I disliked the brand--had a non-elite Pioneer stereo receiver in the 80s and a good friend of mine just retired his Pioneer stereo receiver after 38 years), though I dearly wanted a Kuro back in the day. Wasn't in the cards.

I suspect the future for non-esoteric gear belongs to Sony, Yamaha, Denon/Marantz and Onkyo/Integra (with Pioneer on the side). If Pioneer Elite wants to survive, it'll have to make a breakthrough with something distinct in its AVRs.

I've felt a similar "sadness" for Boston Acoustics speakers. My main rig is comprised of VR-M series speakers--I bought them in 2004. Still going strong, but BA haven't made anything of interest to me in nearly 10 years (nothing like my VR-Ms since 2009 or so) and if I want to go beyond my current 5.1 situation, I'll either have to mix and match speaker brands (not something I usually favour) or get a whole new set (and I hate to replace gear that still works fine).

Comment

Working...
                                                                              😀
                                                                              😂
                                                                              🥰
                                                                              😘
                                                                              🤢
                                                                              😎
                                                                              😞
                                                                              😡
                                                                              👍
                                                                              👎
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"