X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Ken,

Well now I know - I've moved it for you and renamed it!

Oh - and I've merged in the Klub Klipch thread to this Club Klipch thread and made the whole thread a sticky!!!!! :T

Geoff

Comment

• Q-Man
      • Mar 2004

Ken,

The SW15 is supposed to be a good sounding sub. I remember reading reviews on it in it's day. It doesn't go low, I think it drops like a stone below 27Hz. It doesnt get loud enought to keep up the the Heritage line of speakers, but then there arn't many subs that can play loud enought to match the output of Klipschorns and LaScalas.

If your using it for two channel and you room isn't too big it would do the job. For home theater I would look for something elce.

You really should tell us what speakers your using it with, and your room size.

Comment

• popbumper
        • Feb 2005

All Klipsch HT

Proud to be a member of the Klipschaholics - my HT consists of:

Klipsch Forte L&R
        Klipsch Forte surrounds
        Klipsch Academy center
        Klipsch KG2 rears

SVS subwoofer (20-39PCi)
        HKAVR 430 receiver

...plus the usual accoutrements of DVD, VHS, HD tuner, satellite, 46" TV, etc.

Klipsch are a WONDERFUL speaker to own, and adapt well for HT. They have great dynamics, clarity and realism, not to mention that they require little power to drive them. I am well pleased with my setup, and promote Klipsch whenever I can.

Not having enough room, I also own a pair of Cornwalls, and a pair of Heresy II's. What fun!

Chris :lol:

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

Cool, welcome aboard Chris, pretty nice compliment of Klipsch goodies you have w/ spares and all. I have learned it's a love-hate relationship with these speaks, and those of us who love them tend to be quite passionate about them. Again, welcome aboard, Bob

Comment

• Patt
            • Feb 2005

I bought a new pair of 4.2's a few years ago and am pretty happy with them for low volume listening, although they are capable of some serious volume.
            The detail is extraordinary at low volume....of course all I have to compare them to is some Studio 40's powered by a stereo reciever.

Dr J had some nice things to say about his positive experiences with the 7's. Maybe someday a pair will be sitting in my living room. :T
            Last edited by Patt; 07 March 2005, 14:25 Monday. Reason: Typo
            ......Pat

Comment

• popbumper
              • Feb 2005

Thanks Bob! I appreciate the kind words, nice to have found the site. I enjoy my Klipsch speakers very much, since I have performed crossover upgrades I am even more elated with their sound!!

Chris

Comment

• Bobby T
                • Mar 2005

Hi. New member and Klipsch lover here. I have RF3-II, RC3-II, and RS3-II. Later this summer I'm going to get 5 RB7s and a SVS Pc ultra.
                Last edited by Bobby T; 16 March 2005, 19:00 Wednesday.

Comment

• Patt
                  • Feb 2005

:welcome:

Hello Bobby,

Moving up in the Klipsch line and into an SVS sounds like a double bonus. :T I can confirm SVS is capable of huge amount's of bass.

My 12 year old 4.2 crossovers were done by Dean G. at the Klipsch forum a couple weeks ago and there really is a difference. Something had to be done to make them sound better. At the same time due to my mistake the diaphram's in the tweeter's had to be replaced so I went with titanium.

If it make's any sense the bass is tighter and more pronounced and most importantly the tweeter has smoothed out, and it still has huge amounts of detail.

Now tube's or class 'A' amplification seem interesting.
                  Last edited by Patt; 15 March 2005, 14:35 Tuesday.
                  ......Pat

Comment

• Bobby T
                    • Mar 2005

Dean G's work is legendary on the Klipsch forum. Your speakers must sound wonderful.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

To answer Ken's question, I own a Klipsch KSW-15 sub. I originally had it in my main theater system, but have since replaced it with two SVS PC-Ultra subwoofers. From the beginning, I enjoyed the KSW-15 sub. When I first got it, I thought it lacked "punch", so guys on the Klipsch forum recommended I use a y-cable to split the signal to both inputs on the subwoofer. That did it--LOTS of power. It will certainly provide all the kick you need for most movies and music.

Since upgrading to the SVS subs, I've learned that what I was listening to all these years with the Klipsch sub was enjoyable, but not accurate. There were certain movie scenes and music lins I would play that would REALLY boom with bass, which was great. But SVS subwoofer output graphs are almost completely flat, meaning that for a given signal at any audible frequency, it will put out just about the same volume. You'll hear exactly the bass that's contained in the music or movie. What I had been hearing with the Klipsch was certain frequencies augmented and very much amplified above the actual bass content, and certain frequencies that lacked. I'd like to see output graphs of Klipsch subs, but they're just not available.

It's taken some time to adjust from what I was used to hearing, but I prefer the accuracy of the SVS subs. The Klipsch is in my bedroom setup now. It does a decent job, although for the price I don't know if I'd buy it again if I could. I'd probably go for another more accurate brand model.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Patt
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bobby T
                        Dean G's work is legendary on the Klipsch forum. Your speakers must sound wonderful.
                        For sure, they sound much better. I was thinking about letting them go but now they are going to stay a while.

Sorry I missed your question Ken,
                        I've never heard that particular sub. Trying to save a buck I went with the 2039+ cylinder and it is too much for our space. Since then, they have come out with their small box one which is as big as my whole computer monitor. (it really does'nt seem small).
                        ......Pat

Comment

• Patt
                          • Feb 2005

Coming up sometime in the near future Klipsch is having a "Pilgrimage" here in Indianapolis, a get together of Klipsch owners and whoever else is interested.

A couple years ago Klipsch bought the old Resort Condominiums International building on the northside of town and have put the Klipsch sign out front. Really a very big building in a nice area.

Anybody going?.........Not exactly sure what they have planned except a tour of their place. Being about a 20 minute drive for me I would enjoying going but my back is whacked.

Just curious........
                          ......Pat

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

I'd love to go, but my schedule this year just wouldn't allow it.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Patt
                              • Feb 2005

Has anyone tried to visit the Klipsch website since yesterday evening?

Looks like it's down or something is wrong w/ this computer.
                              __________________________________________________ ___
                              UPDATE:

It is back up now....guess they closed it temporarily for some reason.
                              Last edited by Patt; 27 April 2005, 09:51 Wednesday.
                              ......Pat

Comment

• Patt
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ekkoville
                                I should chime in here since I am in slowly looking to upgrade speakers and Klipsch are on the very short list. Depending on the WAF, I am looking at and RF tower or the RB-75. Any opinions on the RB-75? Rotel amp makes me think the sound should be great.
                                Erik

My dealer does not carry the RB75....sure would be nice to get a look at one. I hear they are very similar to the 7's but with a touch less fullness and bass.

I'm considering the same two as you 'and' the RVX54 but it definetly needs a sub at all times. Thought about Maple but it doesnt seem to be an option anymore, probably just wind up with the Cherry which I'm sure is fine. here they will be out in the open, not tucked away in a dark Home Theatre. Some people have complained about the looks of the grill but I really like the arched face look about it. I think a person would have to be pretty careless to do any kind of damage at all.

Been thinking about this way to long, maybe this weekend, the dealer is running a sale so well see just how much 'off' that means.

Mmmm, those 7's sure are interesting... :drool: ...lol.
                                Last edited by Patt; 26 May 2005, 18:22 Thursday.
                                ......Pat

Comment

• ekkoville
                                  • Aug 2004

The RB75 seems to have nice low end for a bookshelf and with the same horn as the RF7, the sound should be just as you describe Pat. These have been very tough to get a listen to here as it nevers fits my schedule to drive out and take a look.

Comment

• Patt
                                    • Feb 2005

Some say the RB75's image a little better, and that does make sense being a smaller cabinet.

I'd like to try the RF7's without a sub for a change. Seems like I'm always changing the gain to get my SVS to blend with the speakers for music but for movies I can just set it and forget it.
                                    ......Pat

Comment

• Patt
                                      • Feb 2005

Well... :yesnod:

I just picked up a pair of Cherry RF7's for my 2 channel listening pleasure and am quite pleased with the results so far. The build quality of the cabinet is perfect and the arched black grill covers are very complimentary to the Cherry finish. I am an ex carpenter/cabinet maker so I do feel comfortable with my comment about that.

Nice heavy brass aftermarket spikes are in order although the supplied outriggers are shapely and add some character to the base of the cabinet. In the future I will have the crossovers re-worked as the ones in my 92' 4.2's sound much better to me than stock.

Having heard people some complain about quality of this product (elsewhere) I must say those few people need to learn how to take care of their equipment and that is simply no more than caring for any posessions one may have.

I will take into consideration any suggestions I have heard in the past and what I may hear in the future regarding amplification.

As some might say......I am one happy camper. 8) ;b>
                                      ......Pat

Comment

• soundhound
                                        • Mar 2004

Heya Pat, I too just added the 7's to my set up last night. I had the 3's dialed in nicely so it was basically as easy as plug and play where the 3's resided. I am amazed at how well the lows come thru @ lower spl's. I had read on the Klipsch forum one guy had to relocate the dampening foam in his when he got them new, and sure enough, one of mine had it shifted up behind the driver. Not a biggie to relocate. Beautiful pieces, aren't they? (and heavy). I also have an SVS sub which may or may not stay put, will have to get them settled in and see where that winds up. My first impression is "wow", alot more of what I had with the 3's, and then some.

Comment

• Patt
                                          • Feb 2005

I'm surprised at the low bass heard from them. The clarity and detail heard on movie and especially instrumental/orchestra type music is great.
                                          I have been doing a lot of researching about more power or higher quality power than my old 125 watt amp, even tube amps. One fellow uses the new high powered digital Pro amps with his Klipsch and he is very happy with the results.
                                          My cherry cabinets are perfect top to bottom. I installed the spikes two at a time by tilting the speaker side to side. Once the spikes are in place I can walk the speakers wherever needed, someone said it cant be done without breaking the legs but I do it easily.
                                          The foam wasnt much of a problem, just reached inside and pushed it back into place on one of the speakers and it really didnt look far out of place to begin with. Those two port openings are huge!

For now my SVS has been retired....lol.
                                          ......Pat

Comment

• soundhound
                                            • Mar 2004

I run a Rotel RB-1080 to mine, and an RMB-1075 for surround and zone 2 (all Klipsch) and have to say I don't believe it gets much better. I didn't use my sub for music, strictly analog on the 2 channel end, and even the RF 3's sounded sweet through the Rotel. I listened to the 7's last night b-4 purchase through a Denon high dollar unit and a Pioneer Elite reciever, and if thats what I had to work with I would not have purchased the 7's. It is a complete understatement that what you drive them with Makes or Breaks them sound wise.

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

I'd highly recommend NOT to remove a subwoofer from Klipsch speakers. In the times that I've setup my system, once or twice I've forgotten to change my KLF-30 mains from large to small. At first, it sounded pretty good--it's fairly impressive how low the speakers can play. But with anything of any significant bass frequencies, it's going to just sound weak in comparison to whn you've got the sub going. (at least if you have a good sub) Re-enabling my twin SVS PC-Ultra subs brought up the low-end in power and fullness.

So as much as I like the KLF-30 mains, I think they're significantly better played as "small", not utilizing the lower capabilities and turning that over to the subwoofer(s).
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• soundhound
                                                • Mar 2004

I was kind of curious about that Chris, we watched Fleetwood Mac, The Dance, last night (recorded @ UCLA) and it sounded on the money w/o, butt, I wondered how a movie score with 15- 40 hz would sound. Half the fun of new goodies is the trial and error to figure out what works and what doesn't. I keep telling my wife, dont' let me build a new house and give me control of the basement design......................

Comment

• soundhound
                                                  • Mar 2004

Been runnin the 7's for about a week now and have fallen further in love. Last night mama was gone for a while so I threw in a few cd's and set my 1068 @ 75. Can't stand to be in the house with them. It's insane, in a good way. I moved my RF-3's (series 1) to the rear, am still using my RC-3 for center, popped in Avia and tweeked till my hearts content. As the #'s indicate they are a tad more sensitive than the 3's were. @ 50 on the Rotel, 2 channel out of the T-3 tuner, the sound is incredible. All our 2 channel listening is in analog (bypass). I took the advice of Chris, kept the SVS in the room for movies, ota, and dtv. Anyone that likes the Klipsch sound, is or has contemplated a set of 7's, do youreself a favor and get em. Period. I had felt they were to much for my 15x16x8 room (and still think they are) but what ta hay, with the right gear they come to life early, and it's "oh no, the cops are here" in the bank.........

Comment

• Patt
                                                    • Feb 2005

I like cranking up the classical and listening while I surf the computer from the other room. The wife is beginning to enjoy the sound of instruments again too! .....and when the wife is happy, I'm happy. :B

...now to get back to researching amps...lol.
                                                    ......Pat

Comment

• rich0372
                                                      • Jul 2004

chris I have klf 30s as my mains too I used to play them on small but if you have a plus setting on your reciever you can set them to large and the sub still plays to fill in the bottom end I also had my crossovers upgraded by Dean G in the Klipsh forum it made a difference in the bass it's deeper and smother the mids and highs are also better to Rich

Comment

• soundhound
                                                        • Mar 2004

I feel the need to toot the RF 7 horn again, my wife was gone the other night, so I popped in Eric Clapton- 24 nights on dvd. I set the surround to DTS, started with the volume @ 55 and watched for a little, then ran the volume up to 80 (RSP-1068) and went and sat on the deck. These things are absolutely stunning. I know my neighbor 1/8 of a mile from me thought there was a jam session taking place. LOUD, and CLEAR, and then I went and sat back in the room , and the most amazing part was the clarity, detail, definition that I was hearing as I watched. Each and every instrument (he used an orchestra for a few tracks) stood out and sounded accurate. I had owned a set of Infinity Reference 2.5's years ago, and when driven with my David Haffler 500 those things would peel paint, but with nowheres near the accuracy of the Klipsch. I have owned lots of speaks, many of which would play loud- screech and boom, but the sound would just kind of meld together and get nasty sounding, not these bad boys. I am at a point where I can now just settle in, stop chasing the audio nirvana, and let the 7's fully break in and enjoy them.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

Hey, I was just on the Klipsch website, and in 2006, Klipsch is re-releasing the Klipschorn, La Scala, and Heresy. Wow! I might have to pick up some K-horns!
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Apr 2003

This should be a "banner" year for Klipsch. Also in the January to June time frame we should see the new 3 way RF83s and the upgrade/replacement for the RF7s which I assume will be called the RF75.
                                                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

:T :T
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Trey Cannon
                                                                • Dec 2005

Hey guys,
                                                                I hope you dont mind if I come and play.
                                                                Some of you may know me. I am a Admin on the Klipsch Forum and work in the Engineering Dept of Klipsch.

I just wanted to say hey and to offer any help I can.

Peace

Trey
                                                                "...Oh Yea, I get paid to play with speakers."

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Apr 2003

Hey Trey

Welcome! We need you here to help us liven things up. I've spent my time over at Klipsch Forums (JewishAmerPrince) but find the current dribble about tubes and the like somewhat boring. I just got an Aragon 3005 (from eBay Klipsch) and it has awakened my interests in the Klipsch product. I never knew the RF7s could sound so good!

Anything you can leak us about upcoming product would be helpful. ... I've been anxiously awaiting the Premier's (or some other new Flagship), but I really have the upgrade bug so I hope something happens soon. (I don't have room for the new Khorns or 'Scalas).
                                                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

Hi, Trey. I think you and I talked a while back. I haven't been on the Klipsch forums for a while. My theater is based on a complete set of Klipsch Legend speakers centered on KLF-30 mains, and has been featured in its progress in Home Theater Builder Magazine. (I write a recurring feature) Don't know if you've been following it or not.

I would kill for a set of the new KHorns.
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• soundhound
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2004

Sweet, great way to pull double detail Trey. An insiders take on things is allways welcome.

Comment

• rushisrighton
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2005

Tell Klipsch to wait awhile to update

Don't you hate it when you just get something and it's outdated right away!!

Comment

• soundhound
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2004

Jerry, interesting comment on the tubes over @ Klipsch. I know you can be quite critical of what you listen to, as we all are. I recently added a VTL pre amp for 2 channel, and can tell you the Rotels will not hold a candle to the resoulution of some of the better tubed gear out there. As you also know, the 7's can be harsh with certain front ends, but I am surprised you have not dabled in some of the tubed offerings out there, as there are some that will put ss to shame. The guy I bought my 1090 from even went to tubed amplification claiming it was "better" sounding. And did so for a fair amount less money. I can't wait until next spring to get down his way and check it out.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2003
                                                                            • 1204

Originally posted by soundhound
                                                                            I am surprised you have not dabled in some of the tubed offerings out there, as there are some that will put ss to shame.
                                                                            Ahhhhh Bob

Not 100% correct. I get my "tube sound fix" from my Shanling CD 100T.
                                                                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• soundhound
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2004
                                                                              • 815

#83
                                                                              Oh yes, I forgot. Well then you know............

Comment

• garyandroes
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2005
                                                                                • 9

#84
                                                                                Well reply about the ultimate store deal . I bought my whole system from ultimate then soundtrack . I was new to the system thing. thought I knew a lot more than did . Boy was I wrong , I got worked I would say pretty good and only after I became a lot more educated do I know just about how they did it but I am not at all disappointed in the equipment that I did get . All of my speakers are klipsch the better end reference series . All RB 35 series . Knowing what I know now I would have stayed with klipsch but would have probably bought RF 7s for the front , R 7 center and probably the same that I have now the RB 35 for both surround . We learn by our mistakes but I truly thought at that time it would be a lifetime bye , but the sound freak had become quite quickly outgrew that sound . I will probably soon be getting rid of two of my reference series speakers by klipsch and my 12in. klipsch sub but of course will replace with all klipsch . I have been and listened to klipsch other places and for the money they sound as good and better and some four and $5,000.00 speakers . After that klipsch move Hell then change power supply . I currently have one of the higher and denon AV receivers . That to still sounds great and I have never really been able to crack it to its potential because of where I live. Going crazy You know ? but soon just before I move I am going to wake up the whole apartment complex . OHH YEAA . I haven't been to look at receivers not quite ready financially. With klipsch in mind please respond

THANKS, GARY

Comment

• soundhound
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2004
                                                                                  • 815

#85
                                                                                  Would that be Ultimate electronics Gary? We have a few of those here around the Twin Cities Metro area which is where I bought my 7's. Am a little confused by your post, but pop back in as it sounds as though you are a Klipsch addict as well.......

Bob

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2003
                                                                                    • 1204

#86
                                                                                    Reference 4

I just got a chance to look at what Klipsch is presenting at CES and my, my have their engineers been busy! Everything in the Reference line, now called the Reference 4 is new. Top of the floorstander line is the RF83 which has 3 LF drivers and one horn. Supposidly yielding a stronger bottom end and smoother top end than the RF7. There is a new top end center that is a monster featuring 4 ( yes count em ) 6.5" LF drivers.The new surrounds show a departure from the conventional wst surround design, and the new subs just could lead the industry if they sound as good as they look!
                                                                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Dec 2000
                                                                                      • 16877

#87
                                                                                      Ooooooooohhh... so I must choose between lusting over new KHorns or new Reference speakers? Let's see... top end classic horns, or top end new Reference horns?
                                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• soundhound
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2004
                                                                                        • 815

#88
                                                                                        Judging by the model # Jerry I assume they are using 3-8's vs 10's in the new ones?

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2003
                                                                                          • 1204

#89
                                                                                          Originally posted by soundhound
                                                                                          Judging by the model # Jerry I assume they are using 3-8's vs 10's in the new ones?
                                                                                          That's 100% correct. TOL is 3-8" then down to 3-6" then the line goes to 2- 8" etc etc. All in all there are 6 towers, 4 bookshelves, 4 centers, 4 surrounds, and six subs (some with room eq) in the new Reference 4 series. With all that product Klipsch needs to concentrate on expanding their meager dealer organization for Reference.

Surprisingly, the 3/8 you speak of AKA the RF 83 which is intended to replace the RF7 is priced the same as a pair of RF7s. I think manufacturing for that has been moved to China since I have been told that the cabinet finish is vastly improved. The "old" RF7 was made in Indy and had inconsistent (and in my opinion second rate) cabinetry.
                                                                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                                            • 16877

#90
                                                                                            Jerry, any predictions of how these will sound in relation to the RF-7's or previous KLF-30's?
                                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"