X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by John Holmes
    My family and I do a lot of movie watching. Movie sound quality is very important in my home. If the XMC-1 wasn't better than whatever I had before it, I would have no reason to keep it. I also have to say, if I had to pay the current full price of the unit, I'm pretty sure I would never have owned it. However, being I had the 40% discount card from purchasing the UMC-1, I felt it was at a price I was able to live with.:W
    Yeah I agree mostly, I guess what I should of said is that at it's price point it doesn't have the features I'd be looking for to even consider it. I'm sure the sound quality is fantastic as it should be because it's more or less all it's got going for it. But at that price I'd be looking for more than just SQ, as my Onkyo receiver and Denons I've used have sounded pretty darn good especially with external amps.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

So, Dirac made it's way to my home a few weeks ago.

The mike calibration kit arrived about five days before I received my activation code for the Dirac software. All-n-all it was a pretty simple and painless process. Which is exactly what I was hoping it would be. I'm not computer savvy and need thing to be simple. So if I could pull this off without a hiccup, I'm betting most others will too. One thing that I did think was a little vague was mike placement. The wizard shows dots on a couch for all nine position of calibration the microphone should be placed. This picture even includes three different views of them, with the dots at varying height. What it doesn't tell you, are the distance between these positions. Nor does it explain to what the variance of height should be. I just did my best guess. Over the course of the last two weeks, I've ran the program twice. The second week I purposely placed the microphones different than the first. While the results where different, the difference wasn't night and day. This was true on the graphs and in playback.

As to what difference Dirac made in my room? As expected, considerable difference. So many positive things it accomplished. I say this because, previously I stated how happy I was with the XMC-1 without Dirac. The inclusion of the Dirac LE Automated EQ has for the most part been a nice plus. The soundstage is so seamless. There is just a wall of sound, as the individual speakers appear to disappear. Clarity and depth of the presentation have improved. Even better separation within the performance of people and instruments. It even took care of a couple nasty spikes I had below 80hz.

So what's the bad??? Well I'm not quite as satisfied with my bass region response, above or below my crossover of 80hz. Let me be clear, the bass in my system is as clean and defined as I've ever heard. What I'm unsure of, how close to accurate the sound actually is. IMO, for many of my music selections, that urge to tap my feet just isn't there. On others, my jaw is wide with amazement. I know this probably has more to do with listening to uncorrected bass for so long. The sad thing is, it's all I have to go by. The second item which I am unsure about is dynamics. When listening to movies, I am beyond satisfied with the amount of slam and dynamics my system offers with Dirac engaged. But with 2ch stereo, it is hit and miss.

So here I am at the point of drawing the line. And I'm going to stick with the XMC-1 w/Dirac LE. Why? Like I stated earlier, I enjoyed the XMC-1 before Dirac. And I am still not sure what wrong really is. Most probably has as much to do with me not knowing what or how close it may actually be to being correct. And there are some things I'm sure my room has presented as a major challenge to the software (Fireplace with a stonewall which runs the width of the room where the LCR and sub are placed, opening at the rear for spiral staircase, no formal room treatments). I also understand that the predetermined curve may not be the best fit for my room. Emotiva and Dirac offer an upgrade which allows selectable curves but, not sure if I will go there anytime soon if ever. The XMC-1 does have a pretty good manual EQ which could be an option if I ever decided to teach myself REW.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

That is a significant investment for the Dirac software (not including a mic).
        But like you said (or maybe you did not) the cost is less than just some basic commercial room treatments would run.

Not sure what I can offer re a reference for the bass performance.
        I know I have often found that an initially perceived loss in bass power & 'feel' was latter proven to be an improvement in timbre, speed & timing, & realism of reproduced musical instruments.

When listening to movies, I am beyond satisfied with the amount of slam and dynamics my system offers with Dirac engaged. But with 2ch stereo, it is hit and miss.
        Just guessing here, but this may be due to better resolving of the actual recording & its quality (or lack there of) provided by the EQ?

Of course you must remember that my primary concern is 2-ch music, even though my 2-ch system integrates with a 4.2 surround system for TV & occasional movie viewing.
        So all of my efforts & focus are on 2-ch music.

I know many people often say they have no practical access to live music.
        However, most of us have local churches, synagogues & mosques (even in remote remote areas) where live music is common & some can even have pipe organs.

Just a thought, as I just this past weekend I was treated to some wonderful live music from an impressive authentic pipe organ.

Last edited by wkhanna; 10 January 2015, 13:15 Saturday. Reason: add photo
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Now that picture speaks volume for deep bass!

wkhanna, I think you actually hit the nail on the head reference resolving power. The more I listen to various disc, the more variance I'm realizing exist. Even from song to song on the same disc. I really believe I just need to adjust to it. Yesterday I played Wayman Tisdale-Power Forward (MoJazz: 314530552-2) CD and Sade-Bring Me Home/Live 2011 Blu-ray. Both of these I've listen to many times over. Yesterday was the first hearing either with Dirac.

I thought this was an informative session for, these two disc received a lot of play on the XMC-1 before Dirac was implemented. These are disc that I was very confident I knew well. After playing them with Dirac LE, I came to the realization, there was quite a bit I still didn't know. This was the best I ever heard this media in my home. I even began understanding that because of what Dirac has done with the correction filters, I needed to turn the volume for playback higher than without the EQ engaged. Increasing the relative volume seems to give me back what I thought I was missing in dynamics for music. Funny, I'm setting the volume control higher but the sound is so clean, it doesn't feel aggressive.

So thanks, Bill. Your post gave me perspective. Before my system made almost everything sound good, now I hear each production for more of its true valve. :T
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• KyleDugger
            • Aug 2008

Nice. Thanks for sharing John. I've long looked at Emotiva and have yet to pull the trigger. It's good to hear one persons experience. You have provided lot's of details and information on the unit.

Thanks,

Kyle

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Thank you, Kyle!

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

So thanks, Bill. Your post gave me perspective. Before my system made almost everything sound good, now I hear each production for more of its true valve. :T
                You are welcome, of course.

However, you may eventually wish to retract such offerings of gratitude.

You will begin to realize that with stepping up to the next level, you begin to notice certain, ahem, (just how does one put it politely?), "inadequacies".
                Recordings you once thought pristine & reference quality may begin to in fact appear ‘flawed’ to some extent.

Much will have to do with how you approach & interpret this revelation.
                Whether it be blessing or curse is as much up to you as it is the system. :W

(old audiophile saying: Ignorance is True Bliss to One's Wallet)
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

wkhanna,

It has become a true pleasure listening to various media again. Everything I throw at it, truly has is own sound (so-to-speak). And as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. So yes, some aren't as good as others but, I prefer that to an homogenized presentation.

Comment

• sgtjim57
                    • Dec 2008

Lots of new products being released...
                    Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
                    SVS SB 2000 X 2
                    Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
                    Oppo BDP 93
                    Apple TV 4K
                    B & W N804 Mains
                    B & W 603 Rear surrounds
                    B & W LCR 600 Center
                    B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
                    Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• vneal
                      • Jan 2017

I have a Emotiva UMC200 processor and may beupgrading to a XMC-2 (when Available) and XPA-1 Gen 3 ( when they come out)
                      B&W CM10,
                      B&W CM Centre 2S2
                      B&W CM S2
                      JL Audio F110 V2
                      McIntosh MC207
                      Sony HAP Z1 ES
                      OPPO 105D
                      Emotiva UMC 200
                      Pro-JEct SE 5.1
                      PAarasound Phono Pre
                      Furman Elite 15 P
                      Kimber 8TC -Heros IC

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Funny, I'm setting the volume control higher but the sound is so clean, it doesn't feel aggressive.

My neighbors and myself have been amazed at how loud clean, undistorted sound can get before you realize "Hey, that's freakin' loud!. At a young age many of us learn to equate distortion with volume, and our brains don't recognize music as "loud" without it.
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"