X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xk8boy
    • Jul 2005

How hot?

How hot do your processor run. My SSP-600 runs hot to the touch, even when its in standby mode. I know Class-A amps generally run hot, but I would have expected it to cool down when in Standby mode, like the amp 5200 power amp.

Any else experience this? may JetFlyGuy can help?
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

Thermal sensor

Good question!

I'm going to get a thermal sensing device and measure the operating temperatures in both stand-by and full go! modes.

My SSP-600 is fairly warm all the time, but it only gets hot when really driving the internal pre for a while.

One thing to keep in mind, the SSP's have real exposed heat sinks unlike most preamplifiers, so you can directly touch them, most preamplifiers have heatsinks under the main shell and are running a lot hotter than you might imagine, you just can't directly touch the heat sinks themselves.

that's an important pont to understand
    -Just my 2 cents
    Andrew M Ward

Comment

• xk8boy
      • Jul 2005

Thanks Andrew, the pre and the power are on different shelves of the rack with a gap of 4-5 inches between them so air can circulate. I can actually touch the top of the SSP-600.

I wanted to know wether it was normal for it to be warm/hotish when in standby mode.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

IIRC, one of the basic premises of Class A amps is that their output devices conduct fully through their entire cycle, ie. they never turn off unless you physically power them down.

One of you gurus hop in here if I got that wrong. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"