X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corysmith01
    • Feb 2005

RSX-1056; running hot?

Hey everybody. I'm a Rotel noob. Coveted the equiment for years and finally got my first one, a Rotel RSX-1056. Older yes, but totally fits my needs (mostly audio, some HT, don't run HDMI through receiver). Anyway, I've noticed it gets pretty warm...way warm actually. In the past 3 years, give or take, I've had an H/K receiver, a Marantz SR8400 and a Denon 3805. None of them ever got this warm. Is this typical? Is it something I should be alarmed by? Granted, my speakers (Onix Ref 1's) are 4 ohm, with a sensitivity of 88 dB, so not the easiest to drive. And, truth be told, of the receivers mentioned above, only the Denon was used with these speakers. But it never seemed to get as warm. I mean, the top of this this is hot, not warm, but hot to the touch. Is this typical? Thanks for any input.
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

this is going to be interesting as far as what the responses will be.I also have an rsx1056 and had posted in regards to using it with 4ohm speakers.Some have had said no problem others on the contrary.I'm now powering 4-6 ohm speakers with 90db without any problem,only warm.Maybe because you have an 88db rating the rec is working too hard(not knowing how much you push it).If the rec is in the same location you had the others and is getting the same ventilation maybe it is working too hard with those speakers.I originally was thinking i may need to add an amp to drive my speakers,but since have fogotten all about it.You on the other hand may need to for those ref1's.
    Almost forgot,how are your speakers setup-small or large and if your using a sub.If i'm not mistaken i believe this also makes a difference.

Comment

• corysmith01
      • Feb 2005

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've also read the Rotel FAQ page where it says 4 ohm is fine. And I thought it would be. It's not like the protection circuit is being tripped or anything. It just seems excessively warm, but I guess the other half to that is excessively warm as compared to what? Perhaps that's just typical of this unit. All things are not equal.

As for set up, I do have a sub, but don't use it usually. I have a small room and those speakers dip low enough to satisfy me. I currently run them at small and the crossover is set at 60Hz.

Comment

• FernandoF
        • Nov 2005

Hi corysmith01,

I asked the same question to Rotel when I purchased my RSX-1056 and felt it was getting too hot. This is what they replied :
        "This amplifier will run hotter that normal receivers. This is because we are running this amplifier at a higher bias rate than average receivers.

Transistors are biased so that they do not have to be turned on for all the way off. This means that even though you have your volume down there is a small amount of wattage produced form the receiver/amplifier. Usually higher bias amplifier sound better because of this. That is why some Audiophile people will leave there amplifier On all the time so their amplifiers are always warm.

Basically, this amplifier is running hotter than normal, but sounds better than any receiver in its class."
        Hope it helps you !

Fernando

Comment

• corysmith01
          • Feb 2005

Wow, hey thanks Fernando. I won't pretend to understand that on a technical basis, but being that this is the word from Rotel, seems to make sense and most importantly, explains why it feels warmer than my others. Thanks! :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"