X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve B
    • Jan 2004

RSP 1098 running hot?

I couldn't find another thread on this topic, but it probably has been covered...

I just got a 1098 a couple weeks ago (love it). Mine is in a cabinet that is completely enclosed, but I am using a series of fans to pull the hot air out of the cabinet. I think there is good airflow, and the temp of the cabinet seems to stay relatively cool. The 1098 itself, however, is always hot to the touch.

Is this normal?

thanks,

Steve
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Steve,

This certainly doesn't sound normal, however keep in mind that the 1098 dissipates an enormous amount of heat and needs lots of breathing room.

Is it possible to take it out of it's enclosed enviroment and test it, without it being enclosed in the cabinet?

I have my 1098 sitting on top of my audio rack since heat rises.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

It does indeed run very warm, wouldn't call it hot yet, even if ventilated properly.
      Mine is in a rack, on the second shelf, with 10 cm of room above it as recommended by Rotel.
      The rack is open on all sides, so lots of ventilation there.
      Still, the case of the 1098 runs fairly warm, so it does dissipate a great deal of heat (class A biased preamp ?)
      In comparison, the RMB1075 doesn't even get 1/4 as hot as the 1098 does, they could've biased it a little more towards class A to be honest, doesn't run hot enough

Comment

• mazuly
        • Feb 2003

I have mine sitting on top of my rack and not enclosed at all, and it is still very warm to the touch. I concur with others that this beast runs very warm

In your layout I am assuming that the exhaust fan will draw air from somewhere to your rack space. Just make sure that the air coming in is in room tem. Also if the air coming in is passing over other component before reaching 1098 (say air comes in from the bottom of the rack and 1098 is on the top rack), then airflow is already warm when reaching the 1098 and will not cool it properly. In that case you may need to increase the airflow to cool the 1098 properly. Also make sure you leave some room above the unit, say about 3 to 6 inches. Inclosing it completely and blocking the ventilation holes on top can defiantly damage the 1098.

Thanks,
        Maziar

Comment

• Steve B
          • Jan 2004

Thanks for the input. I feel better now. I think it is ok, but I'll continue to monitor it. I can increase the airflow by upping the voltage to the fans if need be (trade off is a little more noise).

I have a good 3 inches of open space on the top and sides. Much more behind. It does indeed run hotter than my 1075.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"