X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

RDV-1050 / RDV-1060 compatibility

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if the RDV-1050 and RDV-1060 are able to playback both DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW discs?

Thank you
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

I wrote to Rotel about this some time ago, and this is Tech Support's response:

As far as our current DVD players, the RDV-1050 and the RDV-1060 support DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, CD, VCD and SVCD discs. They will also read the following recordable media: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. Both units will playback MP3 audio and read JPEG pictures if put on a disc. The RDV-1050 will also playback WMA audio. Both unit have multichannel analog audio outputs as well.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I'm getting the 1060. Will let you know if I have any problems. Thanks!

Comment

• Marcel54
      • Jan 2004

I have the 1060 about a year now and no problems reading dvd's (of any kind) what so ever.

Comment

• weijst
        • Jun 2004

That's great, didn't expect them to be able to playback both + and - .

Any help on the issue "1050 or 1060"? Marcel54, why did you choose the 1060 instead of the 1050 (prijsverschil is toch aanzienlijk )

Thank you!
        Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• JDH
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Marcel54
          I have the 1060 about a year now and no problems reading dvd's (of any kind) what so ever.
          Does the Rotel DVD play back DVD-RAM discs, I own a Panasonic E20 DVD-R/RAM recorder. I would be surprised if the Rotel DVD players handle DVD-RAM, would be good if it did.
          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Marcel54
            • Jan 2004

Weijst,
            When I bought mine the 1050 wasn't available yet.

JDH,
            I haven't tried RAM yet but I think that don't work.

Comment

• Vicente
              • May 2004

RDV-1060 problems

I'm the owner of a 1060 for three months now and I don't have any problems with original DVD's, but when using PC recorded DVD's (usually Princo or Bullpack -R) many of them stop reading at the end of the disk (when they are five or ten minutes left) what is a total upset, considering that I don't have any problems with these DVD's when I use a Harman Kardon or a Pioneer DVD player I have too.

Other problem I found is that if you are using the SCART connection (composite video) for the main TV and the Super Video output for connecting the VCD recorder or for monitoring the receiver menu, you have colour on the TV but B&W in the rest.

If you switch to componet video you get a green image on the TV (logical because this is not the correct setup for my TV set) but correct colour on the rest.

I though the problem resided in the firmware release so my local dealer got me a new unit from Rotel Spain, just to find that the new unit had an older firmware and the same problems.

He got a new release and tried again but the problem remains. I don't mind really much about this problem because the 1060 is an excellent CD, DVD and DVD-audio reader, but what is a problem is that I'm never sure if I'll finish seeing a film on a recorded DVD.

My dealer just lent me yesterday a 1050 and I will try it this evening with the faulty disks.

As I tell you, fantastic in music and video if you use original stuff, but too delicate for home recorded disks.

I know for other threads that some of you had the same problems with the colour and B&W images. Did you solve them? What is the latest firmware release you got for the 1060?

About the recorded DVD's ¿anyone have the same problems?
              Please tell me your experiences.

Thanks. Best Regards

Vicente

Comment

• Vicente
                • May 2004

1050 tested

As I told you, yesterday I tried the 1050 vs 1060. The first DVD I tested, it seemed to me to have better image quality than 1060 but not sound.

No problem with b&w images on the monitor but THE SAME PROBLEMS READING RECORDED DVD's. It seemed to be a little bit more tolerate with some of them and not read at all some others that I read with the 1060.

I know that probably those disks will have small errors or won't be completelly flat on the borders, but the question is that they can be read without fault on other equipment (Harman Kardon or Pioneer). I use my own recorded DVD's and some other shared by friends with the same problems.

Again, please post your experiences. I don't think the three units (two 1060 and one 1050) I tested were faulty.

Also any help about the b&w images problem will be highly appreciated (I heard you had a solution at the other side of the Atlantic).

I will still keep the 1060 because imo sounds better.

Thanks. Regards

Vicente

Comment

• Marcel54
                  • Jan 2004

Vicente,

I had the same problem with a b&w tft screen. The solution is simple. You set you dvd to SCART and you use a SCART terminal on your tv that accepts s-video (but not RGB). You connect the dvd to your pre/pro with composite and voila your problem is solved.

Good Luck

Comment

• Vicente
                    • May 2004

Thanks Marcel54 for your help but I suggested this to my dealer's technician and he told me that yes, this is possible, but then you are not using the best connections for the TV.

I don't know if I'm wrong but as far as I know the best video connections are in this order: HDMI?, Component video, RGB, S-Video and composite, so I think I should use the best available connection in my TV set that is RGB thru Scart, if not you are not using the excellent capabilities of the 1060.

Again I heard that some of you guys in USA or Canada had sent the 1060's with this problem to the distributor to be fixed, because for the special configuration of the unit, updating the firmware was not possible at the dealer or at home.

Someone that did this could explain me how you did, if you got the bug corrected, and what is the new version number of the firmware?.

Is it possible to contact someone in Europe to do this?

Thanks to all. Best Regards

Comment

• Marcel54
                      • Jan 2004

Vicente,

I got this solution from the Rotel Technical Centre in England and they told me that this is at the moment the only solution. If there is an other solution I would really like to know because you are right about RGB.

Marcel

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"