X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twincam
    • Feb 2004

Will the RCD 1072 be a good upgrade?

Hi all

I am posting this because I am not sure which CD player I should use for my new 2-channel setup...
    I will use my N804s in a two-channel setup, quite possibly connected to a new RC 1090 / 1080 combo.

My current 1098/1075 will only be used for HT (in another room) together with the existing N805/ASW700 (and a new pair of SCM1s as back channels), and I plan to replace my current DVD player, Sony DVP-S7700 with a new one that does have HDMI/DVD output, progressive scan etc (Denon 2910 maybe).

I don't have any experiences of mid/high-end CD players, but I have been quite happy with the Sony, the audio playback is quite ok IMHO. I get far better sound using the analog outputs and the bypass mode in the RSP 1098 compared with the digital coax output (and the 2-channel mode in the 1098). The difference surprised me to be honest.
    The Sony (5 years old now) also got good reviews, especially for the audio quality.

The question is:

Should I use the Sony player in the 2-channel setup, or to go for a good dedicated CD player like the Rotel RCD 1072?
    Can I really expect that much better sound quality from a Rotel RCD 1072?

Any thoughts/advices on this are most welcome.

Kindly regards
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Twincam,

I upgraded last year from a Sony ES CD Player and a Sony NS series DVD player to a Rotel RCD-1072 and the difference was like night and day... You won't believe how much extra detail and musicality you will get from your CDs compared to the DVD player playing CDs... If you like the Rotel sound / look the 1072 is a great player - outstanding value for the price... You won't regret it!

Geoff

Comment

• Twincam
      • Feb 2004

Thanks for your input Geoff.

A RCD 1072 will match better with a 1090 / 1080 than the gold Sony..an important point to mention for my gf..

Cheers,

TC

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Perfect,

PS - I forgot to mention the RCD-1072 also blew away the 5 year old Sony ES series CD Players sound - substantially more musical and a better resolve 3D soundstage.... This applied to both Analogue and Digital inputs

I have ended up with my RCD-1072 connected to 2 separate device inputs on my RSP-1098: One pure analogue for stereo listening (no sub etc) and the other Silver Digital Coax for fun listening such as Dolby Prologic IIx Music... Both are amazing...

Geoff

Comment

• n3philim
          • Feb 2004

I'd have to agree with Geoff. The RCD-1072 is an awesome machine, especially at its price point. It will also match very well with the RC-1090/RB-1080 combo.

If I'm not mistaken, this particular set up was reviewed in Absolute Sound. You may want to check out the Rotel site and check the reviews sections.

Comment

• EAmin
            • Aug 2004

The Absolute Sound also included it as one of their recommended CD products for 2004. Source-TAS October/November 2004 issue.

Other recommended Rotel products (in other categories) included the RB-1090 and RA-1062. Go Rotel!

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
              • May 2004

More praise for the RCD 1072

Originally posted by EAmin
              The Absolute Sound also included it as one of their recommended CD products for 2004. Source-TAS October/November 2004 issue.

Other recommended Rotel products (in other categories) included the RB-1090 and RA-1062. Go Rotel!
              Even better than that...

Absolute Sound, Feb./March 2004, rated the RCD 1072 as their "Product of the Year" (They review it in the same Issue.)

It's hard to beat awards like that. Out of all the equipment they reviewed, they chose the Rotel as number one!

Cracking!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"