X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

D/A converters in the RCD-1072 vs D/A converters in receivers or Pre/pros

I have a love for 2 channel music. However, I also enjoy listening to dvd concerts with my Sony STA-DA777ES receiver. When listening to a concert or a music vidio (which may be included on that dvd) in two channel mode, there is a distinctive superiority of the d/a converters in my rcd-1072. My
    dvd player is a Toshiba SD-5700 ($400 USD)

My question is, has anyone performed a comparison between their Rotel 1072 player using anolog out, then switched to digital out and felt the D/A converters in their receiver were better? If so, what pre/pro or receiver were you using?

I want my pre/pro to sound as good as my Rotel RCD-1072.

Thanks!!
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Well the fact of the matter is, you won't have a pre-pro that will sound as good. They will all tend to sound differently as they don't "typically" put the same DACs in them. So they are bound to sound a little bit different no matter what.

Heck even my Cambridge Audio Azur 640c sounds different (and in my opinion better) than the Rotel RCD-1072 due to the 640c using the Wolfson WM8716 24-bit/ 192kHz DAC over the Rotel's Burr-Brown PCM-1732 18-bit/192kHz DAC...

Now is one definitely better than another, no. Both are just difference and it depends on your taste as to what you prefer.

Since you should normally listen to your RCD-1072 in "bypass" mode where the receiver doesn't do any decoding, then it really doesn't make as "much" of a difference on what receiver you use.

I have the 640c hooked up to my RSP-1098, and when I use the digital connection (letting the receiver decode), I can say it's pretty close to how the 640c sounds...but the 640c still is beyond what the 1098 does. The 1098 sounds a lot more "digital" to the sound, where the 640c comes off with a very analog sound, yet crystal clear and very sharp with its sound. To me the best of both worlds...

So I wouldn't worry so much about finding a pre-pro that sounds as good, to finding what fits in your budget. If you are considering something like the Rotel RSP-1068 or 1098, you can't go wrong (IMO).
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Asterduc
      • Dec 2004

I agree with Pewter,

When I bought my Denon 2910 I thought that the RSX-1056 would have a better D/A. After listening I must admit that the Denon has a much better soundstage, more high-end, softer, warmer, but the RSX-1056 has much better dynamics. So for listening vocal music, I use the Denon DAC, for powerfull songs, instrumental music, I go digital to Rotel and use the RSX-1056 DAC.

Ed.

Comment

• june
        • Feb 2005

Hello All,

I'm more of a movie person, but I use a Yamaha CDC-685 CD player with my Rotel 1068. This $200 CD player sounds awesome! I compared it to a Denon DCM-380 CD player. The Yamaha blew the Denon away. It was very smooth with a natural sound. I want to get a 1072 but will I hear a $500 difference in sound?

June
        June
        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Just looking at the specs... Will you hear a $500 difference... Do you want to hear one or not?!

There will definitely be differences...but whether they are worth the $500 difference that would be up to you...

I'd also recommend looking up the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c, great reviews and costs less than the Rotel RCD-1072.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

Thanks for the feedback guys! It's not my intent to connect the cd player through the pre/pro via the digital hookup. Rather to have my music dvd's sound as good or BETTER than the Rotel 1072. Which I might add sound pretty good. I've paired it with a very good set of interconnects.

It's always a breath of fresh air when I go back to cd's after listening to a dvd concert or music vidio. On movies, I have no complaint with the presentation. I have listened to the Rotel 1098 pre/pro with a dvd and thought it sounds good enough. I have yet to make the comparison we are speaking of with the 1072 AND the 1098 together.

Off hand do you know what d/a converters the 1098 uses as opposed to 1068?

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"