X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirby
    • Oct 2004

Upconversion problems with 1056

I just purchased a new 1056 about a week ago. I really like the sound although I am a littel disappointed with the level of hiss when the volume is high. My other problem is the poor upconversion from both composite and S-video up to componet video. The TV is displaying faint vertical bars when either format is upconverted. I went to my dealer today and the 1056 at the store has the same problem. If I run componet video in and out no problem, if I run S-video in and out thee is no problem. I have email tech support who claim there has not been any video problems. I highly doubt this when both my receiver and the one at the store have the same problem. Anybody else have a problem?
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

why not just use the comp in and out then? if s and composite is giving ur problems, don't use them since comp is superior anyways.

Comment

• Kirby
      • Oct 2004

If you read my post you will note that my satelite receiver has only S-video and my VCR has only composite.

Comment

• mds
        • Sep 2004

I have a 1056, no problems with sound quality, regardless of the volume.
        Also, I upconvert s-video in to component out for my PS2 and the picture is perfect.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I've never seen any issues either on my 1098 even when projected on my 92" screen. Have you tried any other component cables?

Comment

• Kirby
            • Oct 2004

Hi Andrew, the problem exists on both S-video and composite. I have tried 2 receivers, 2 DVD players and 2 Starchoice satelite boxes. I guess if nobody else has a problem the only 2 faulty receivers have been sent to Nova Scotia!

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

My 1098 has the same issue. A very crappy conversion that looks like bad cable with verticle lines across the screen and poor color. I had always assumed it was my old Dish receiver (it had a problem with scalers), and just set everything up switching inputs..

I've since switched Dish receivers and your post reminded me to see if the new one has the same issues and it does. Could be another ground type issue. I'll probably snag the 1068 from the store and see if I can recreate the problem on it, or if it's an issue with my 1098..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kirby
                • Oct 2004

Hi Kevin, Thank you, now I know I am not losing my mind. What brand of TV are you using? I have a Toshiba and the store also has a Toshiba and I was thinking that maybe there is a problem with the Rotel/Toshiba combo. I know it sounds far fetched but it appears that nobody other than you and me have a problem.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Mitsu 73"... HD & DVD look great passing through, so I know the cables are fine.. The conversion is definately unwatchable though..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kirby
                    • Oct 2004

I guess I will not make a senior member. I returned my Rotel and purchased a Denon 3805. It does video upconversion as it is supposed to. The sound maynot be as good as the Rotel but really I don't notice any difference.

Comment

• TimRawson
                      • Oct 2004

Yeah, I have an older big screen. Holding out on HDTV for a little longer (maybe once Tivo HD receivers hit 200-300 bucks and all major sports are HD and not just primetime events).

Anyway, the RSX1056 upconversion freakin blows. Went out and bought new component cables then saw this crap in action. Horrible! Took the cables back and went back to my svideo - heck, do any non-HD satellite recievers or dig cable boxes have component? Not gonna bother with component until a I get a new HDTV - not worth it IMO.

Upconversion is only a convienence.

Comment

• dagny87
                        • Oct 2004

Well, I've got a similar problem with my RSX-1067... the upconversion is just bad, bad, bad, which sucks since it (upconversion from s-vid) was one of the main reasons we got the receiver.

We are using s-video to connect our ReplayTV 5160. When hooked directly up to the TV (a brand-new Samsung 50" DLP, HL-P5085W), the picture is fine. Hook it up to the Rotel 1067..... wayyyyy too much flickering. But, even hooking it up via component video (which we didnt want to do, since the unit has 3 component vid. inputs and we wanted to hook up digital cable, xbox, and dvd player) is producing an unpleasant picture as compared with connecting it directly to the TV.

Everything else is fine, although we dont have anything else "upconverting". DVD picture (from Rotel 1060 DVD player) is fantastic, and the XBox picture looks a universe better from when it was getting component-switched through the old Sony receiver. They are both hooked up via component video.

We thought maybe it was the grounding on the Replay TV but we hooked it up to our monster power filter thing (please excuse the ignorance, I am not sure what it is called exactly, this whole thing is my man's new toy setup, and the monster power thing got bought a long time ago) and it is still noisy.

I mean, i guess its a lot to expect that the picture look perfect - it is regular cable tv, playing off a replayTV, getting compressed and uncompressed before it even hits my TV, but the upconversion makes it look downright awful. Putting it thru component is an improvement but ... not by much.

Still playing though to get it to work. (We just got the Rotel stuff yesterday.) If anyone has suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.

If anyone cares, the Rotel DVD player is really nice, my picture seems nicer than the 1-yr-old sony player we had, and it is SUPER FRIGGIN FAST when forwarding thru chapters. (I know this seems trivial, but it is quite impressive.)

Comment

• RotelMotel
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by dagny87
                          We are using s-video to connect our ReplayTV 5160. When hooked directly up to the TV (a brand-new Samsung 50" DLP, HL-P5085W), the picture is fine. Hook it up to the Rotel 1067..... wayyyyy too much flickering. But, even hooking it up via component video (which we didnt want to do, since the unit has 3 component vid. inputs and we wanted to hook up digital cable, xbox, and dvd player) is producing an unpleasant picture as compared with connecting it directly to the TV.
                          Are you saying that the component switching on the receiver is producing an unpleasant picture - or that your 5160's component output is bad ?

Comment

• rick c
                            • Aug 2004

I also have the rsx1056 and am running everything thru it and don't have any picture or sound problems.Have hd receiver,dvd, and playstation(s-video).

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                              • May 2004

I would say that it is an issue with your TV more than the Rotel. Although I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you are wanting picture quality though just run direct and don't mess around with upsampling.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Kirby
                                • Oct 2004

The Denon 3805 does upconversion very well. very little if any difference between direct connection and running it through the receiver. The problem is definitely with the Rotel and the unit at the rotel dealer has the same problem. This was a nasty introduction to Rotel gear!

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                                  • May 2004

Wow, the Denon upconverts better. So? I could sit here and name a lot of different brands and units that do stuff better than other stuff. No matter what anyone here says you have already made up your mind that you don't like Rotel because it does not meet your satisfaction in this area. That is fine, that is your choice and right as a consumer, but why bad mouth the line. I could name a lot of points of Denon that I feel are not good. I don't because I decided not to purchase Denon and to go with Rotel instead. I personally like this unit and think that it sounds great. Video switching is good but kind of a secondary concern in my HT system. I will go with a better quality picture by simply connecting direct, no matter what the brand is. What I am trying to say is that you have gone from asking for help with what you thought was a problem to simply bad mouthing Rotel :evil: . Don't be that guy.

G.

Comment

• Kirby
                                    • Oct 2004

I think you need to get a life. I didn't badmouth Rotel, I said the video upconversion doesn't work and others have expressed the same issue. If it doesn't work they should fix it or stop lisitng that as a feature.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                                      • May 2004

Ok, I rewired my system. I now have 2 composite video inputs and 1 S-video input going into my RSX-1056 and one component video output going to my TV. I do not have a super TV by any means, no HD or plasma, just an average TV with component input. The picture looks great from any of the sources. I am sorry that you were not happy with your introduction to Rotel.

G.

Comment

• Noddy
                                        • Dec 2004

just a quick query, the 1056 that we receive in oz does not up convert anything, is up conversion a feature that is only available to US and european units?

Comment

• csuzor
                                          • Nov 2004

This was a heater discussion, but nonetheless it is interesting that there is potentially some issue with converting from composite or S-video to component.

I am planning on buying an LCD or plasma large screen, hi-rez, but my satellite receiver does not ouput component, just composite or S-video or RGB (through the SCART, remember this is europe!). The DVD will be connected by component.

Can I expect some problems with the component conversion, and thus I should anticipate to make 2 connections to the screen? Does the OSD operate in component mode, or is the S-video connection mandatory anyway?

What about up-scaling? Should I just let the screen upscale the image (which is only 500 or so lines in europe) to 1080 lines? Or will I need something else? Do the screens typically upscale all inputs, including component? Does the RSP-1068 offer any help here?

Lots of questions I know, thanks for the help.
                                          Christophe

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"