X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Rotel 1056 OSD

It is my understanding the new Rotel RSX-1056 will have video upconversion. Thus, regardless of the video type going into the 1056, all signals can be sent out from the 1056 to the TV, via a single component video connection.

If the above is correct, two questions:

1. Can the Rotel OSD menus also be sent out to the TV, via the component video? Or is a composite video cable connected to the 1056 composite "monitor out" jack, still needed?

2. Techincally, how much quality is lost routing a DVD component video signal through the 1056 to the TV vs. a direct component video connection directly between the DVD player and the TV (Sony 36HS-500)? Is there a real world quality difference, specific to this Rotel 1056/Sony set-up?

Thanks
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

1- I can't say for sure as the specs have not been released yet but I would assume that yes, you will still need a composite connection for the OSD. The reasoning behind this I'm told is that the addition of OSD information imparts interference on video signals that people would find offensive especially with component video.

2- Ideally you would run all your sources straight to your display. Less connections and less wires means less chance for signal loss. In reality I doubt there is really much of anything lost in an average set up and the bennefits of video switching and added capacity are worth any possible degradation of quality. The only way to tell for sure with your equipment is to connect them both ways and see if you notice a difference. Of course if you require either the additional inputs or video switching of a processor you might just be better off in ignorant bliss

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Assuming its the same as the 1098, the component video does have the OSD. Secondly, it may be unique to my situation, but the video conversion put vertical bands on the screen and messed my colors up pretty bad..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Glenn
        • Jun 2003

Thanks to both.

Assuming its the same as the 1098, the component video does have the OSD. Secondly, it may be unique to my situation, but the video conversion put vertical bands on the screen and messed my colors up pretty bad
        Kevin, I thought that the 1098 did indeed have the feature of OSD via component video, but wasn't totally sure as I had only the online 1098 manual to go by. Thank you for the confirmation. Also, at least I now know that there is the possibility for, and in your case, very, degraded picture quality when using the video conversion.

I am currently (yesterday and today) running in-wall and under-floor wiring, so I will pay close attention to your findings, as I choose the number and type of wiring to be threaded through.

Thanks again. Appreciated!

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Assuming its the same as the 1098, the component video does have the OSD.
          Kevin D.
          Well there ya go! (Learn something new everyday )I wonder if some of that interference you're seeing might be from the OSD...?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

1. Can the Rotel OSD menus also be sent out to the TV, via the component video? Or is a composite video cable connected to the 1056 composite "monitor out" jack, still needed?
            Assuming its like the 1098 yes you'll Get the OSD over the component cables.

2. Techincally, how much quality is lost routing a DVD component video signal through the 1056 to the TV vs. a direct component video connection directly between the DVD player and the TV (Sony 36HS-500)? Is there a real world quality difference, specific to this Rotel 1056/Sony set-up?
            Not sure on the numbers but for me its good enough that I've never noticed any lose. I've never seen vertical banding either on my set up.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"