X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cracking Oboe
    • May 2004

A Rotel mulit-format player? Why?

I was waiting for a Rotel multi-format player to come out. In the meantime, I thought I’d do some research. After spending months of listening to many available Muti-format players and stand alone DVD-A / SACD players, my wife and I came to the following conclusions:

The Rotel’s RDV 1060 DVD audio was the best at DVD-A we heard :5: .
    It was significantly better than the SACD sound from any multi format player we listened to (many, hooked up at my home, on my system). The sound from the multi format players using the various sources of CD, SACD, and DVD-A was generally mixed and overall disappointing for me, and SACD sound was consistently intolerable for my wife (with one exception). There must be a flaw inherent with combining the two formats, SACD with DVD-A?

We decided that DVD-A was the way to go unless we were prepared to pay big bucks for a standalone SACD player like the Musical Fidelity tri-vista (an emotional experience to say the least). Otherwise, SACD on a multi format player was essentially a non-contender. The RDV 1060 was our answer for obtaining economical audiophile quality high-resolution sound. (Besides, we needed a video upgrade anyway, and we can get a SACD player later, when a good sounding one costs less than 5 grand).

We purchased an RDV 1060 a month ago, and have not regretted the purchase. The sound has been nothing short of jaw dropping. It made a skeptical friend literally stop in his tracks and take notice. The gig was up, he was busted! He had no option but confess his surprise. His comment was “It sounds like really good quality vinyl on an expensive tube amp”. (Not that he owns any quality vinyl or a tube amp). The point is, he had never showed any interest, or said anything positive, about any audio component he had auditioned in the past!

So, all those Rotel members who are waiting for Rotel to come out with a Multi-format player:
    Do you really want a multi-format player when the SACD sound on current multi- format players is obviously inferior to the Rotel’s DVD-A? oke:
    I look forward to your comments :fight: .

Cracking
  • Marcel54
    • Jan 2004

I own a RDV 1060 myself for about 10 months now and I totally agree with you. It's amazing in DVD-A and not a bad DVD player aswell.

Marcel

Comment

• tmueller
      • Sep 2004

I have not been as impressed with the previous two users with my RDV-1060. While I do think the video quality is exceptional I have not had a "jaw-dropping" DVD-A experience as some have expressed. Maybe I expect too much as I have not owned other players!? Maybe I don't have the right media!? What are you auditioning in the DVD-A format that is giving you these results? I would like some input on good recordings.

Thanks,
      Ty

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Ty, check this thread for media recomendations:

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• volfan
          • Oct 2004

Try Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Bandl "Swingin’ For The Fences". The dealer used this when I was auditioning the B&W 804s. It's pretty awsome!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"