rsx1056 owners w Dvda/Sacd and tosh. hd-a1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

rsx1056 owners w Dvda/Sacd and tosh. hd-a1?

Those that have the tosh.HD-a1 how do you have it connected for audio.Digital or analog.Reason i ask is i have a denon dvda/sacd connected to my rotel so the analog is used up.The tosh i'll be getting next week.Undecided on should i just connect the tosh digital or am i going to have to get a switcher(which i really dont want).Is there a big difference between dig. and the analog?Is the digital good enough to make one forget the analog.thanks
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by rick c
    Those that have the tosh.HD-a1 how do you have it connected for audio.Digital or analog.Reason i ask is i have a denon dvda/sacd connected to my rotel so the analog is used up.The tosh i'll be getting next week.Undecided on should i just connect the tosh digital or am i going to have to get a switcher(which i really dont want).Is there a big difference between dig. and the analog?Is the digital good enough to make one forget the analog.thanks

I was in the same situation as you and put my DVD A collection aside until a player comes out which can play all. The only way you can get the new sound formats from the A1 is via the anaolog outputs and I can tell you they are WELL WORTH putting a hold on your DVD A listening. I fyou want both a swticher is your only choice.

my 2 cents.

Comment

• shadow 8
      • Aug 2004

I disagree. Music quality is more important to me than a little better movie sound. Why give up SACD and DVD-A for that?

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by shadow 8
        I disagree. Music quality is more important to me than a little better movie sound. Why give up SACD and DVD-A for that?

opinion i guess. Not to mention the new sounds formats are so much better its certianly worth a listen to.

Comment

• apodaca
          • Jun 2006

The digital output on the Toshiba is converted to full bandwidth DTS (In real terms its twice as much as DVD could ever put out). Most people think its an error but the player was designed this way so as to get the best possible sound. There is also the issue of a digital to analog conversion that I feel even things out a bit since the Rotel has better quality parts. A digital connection sounds excellent and much better than standard DVD so I would suggest you try it both ways. As for a switch - there are many that are remote controlled with five inputs for as little as $100.

Comment

• shadow 8
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
            opinion i guess. Not to mention the new sounds formats are so much better its certianly worth a listen to.
            Name one artist recording on the "new formats" Name one recording available for purchase with great music on it. I agree that the new formats may be a factor in a few years, but this is the same old crap that the recording industry has done for years, chuck what you got and buy it all over again in the new format. I for one will wait to hear how it will sound with real music before I consider it.

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

3 cheers for Shadow 8,
              I would stick with SACD and DVD-A that are superior for NOW ,and for the time being.
              In several years, we will get to enjoy something yet to hear to be superior. I will have to hear this with my own ears before scrapping away SACD and DVD-A for the unknown with NO tiltes out yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the Denon for Music with Analogue, and your Tosh. Ad-A1 for HT, in other words digital/Optical for the time being ,until you get lots of titles and prefer the Tosh sound over Superior SACD and DVD-A!! In the mean time,You will have the best of both worlds...Right!!!???

Cheers and Good Luck!!!

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by shadow 8
                Name one artist recording on the "new formats" Name one recording available for purchase with great music on it. I agree that the new formats may be a factor in a few years, but this is the same old crap that the recording industry has done for years, chuck what you got and buy it all over again in the new format. I for one will wait to hear how it will sound with real music before I consider it.
                You did not read my post correctly. I never once stated that the HD DVD format had music. I was only talking about the new sound formats for movies. Not ot mention that fact that i also stated it was MY OPINION that it was worth putting aside DVD A in exchange for the movie formats.

For me DVD A is a dead format. Dead. Currently I own 50 HD DVDs with another 10 on pre order and may more on the horizon.

Its true the DTS coming out of the Toshiba A1 is better then any standard DVD. With many AB comparisons I still think DD+ is better via the analog outputs..noticably, because you just cant make up for the lost data. Not ot mention TrueHD which is even better then DD+.

Comment

• rick c
                  • Aug 2004

i started the original post and appreciate what everyone has to say.Personally i dont want to get rid of the dvda/sacd because i still enjoy it.I wanted to find out if the digital on the hd-a1 was good enough to make me enjoy it.I realize the analog is the best connection but is there a night and day difference?If it is a significant difference then i guess my only choice is to get a switcher and hell alot of add'l cables.

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by rick c
                    i started the original post and appreciate what everyone has to say.Personally i dont want to get rid of the dvda/sacd because i still enjoy it.I wanted to find out if the digital on the hd-a1 was good enough to make me enjoy it.I realize the analog is the best connection but is there a night and day difference?If it is a significant difference then i guess my only choice is to get a switcher and hell alot of add'l cables.

If you still enjoy DVD A and SACD then connect the HD DVD player via its digital connection. You may be better off getting the A2 since it doesnt have analog outputs and has fast load times etc then the A1. Picture quality alone is worth getting into HD DVD.

Comment

• Clepto
                      • Feb 2006

Your best bet is a switch, or if you're in the market for a new pre/pro, you can take advantage of HDMI for the Video/Audio and then continue using analog for the DVD-A and SACD.

For $259 + $19 S/H here's a 4-1 6 channel switch

UK Based manufacturer of HDBaseT video distribution systems, HDMI over HDBaseT extenders, CEC control solutions, including our exclusive USB-CEC Adapter

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"