X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hitek57
    • Oct 2004

Connecting pre AND prepro to RB1080

Hi all,

As mentioned in my earlier post, I just added an RB1080 to power my front speakers. And the result is, in a word, WOW. Soundstaging, detail and bass oomph are much better than with my other, ageing power amps -- B&K ST2002 and Marantz M500 monoblocks.

I have tried partnering the RB1080 with a B&K stereo preamp and the Rotel RSP1066 prepro and find that music through the B&K is slightly superior.

My question is this: Is it possible to connect both the B&K preamp and RSP1066 to the RB1080, the former via balanced inputs and the latter via RCA inputs?

If it's possible, then I plan to use the B&K for stereo music and the RSP1066 for HT and multi-channel music (SACD and DVDA).

I am also now using the B&K power amp to biamp my centre speaker (Ruark Dialogue). It's improved the sound but I noticed a slight hum from the speaker. I am using a stock Y IC while waiting to get a better one. Could this be the cause, or is it something else that I should be concerned about?

Appreciate any help and advice.

Regards,
    tek
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You should be able to just so long as the B&K and Rotel are never powered up at the same time

Comment

• Eiffel
      • Aug 2003

I did notice some sound degradation when I left the RCAs interconnect connected to my prepro (a RSX-1055 in standby) and used the Balanced inputs from my stereo preamp... or rather, there was an improvement when I unplugged the RCA leads (Try this for yourself).

Of course, YMMV

Eiffel

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

Isolation is best, if you can find an audio switcher of sorts or an old processor of some kind that has tape/ source switching this would work best. I had just gone through this adding an RC-1070 with my RSX-1055 into my RMB-1075. I had also purchased some solid state relays with minimul current draw that could be ran off of the 12v trigger which would give compltete isolation as well as automatic selection of source. I stumbled accross an old ADC processor w/ straight through switching capabilities in the closet and opted for this instead. I have chosen sound quality over convenience at this point.

Comment

• hitek57
          • Oct 2004

Thanks for the advice. Yup, sound quality is the greater priority, not convenience. No point if it degrades the sound. My B&K pre has an EQ loop. Might see if i can loop the RSP1066 such that i can bypass it when playing stereo music. Does anyone know if this will degrade sound quality as well?

Regards,
          tek

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Hitek57,

The EQ Loop should be much better - OR find a spare line level input on the B&K (e.g. Tape, Cd etc) and plug the left and right channels of the RSP-1066 pre-outs into it. Then as long as you test a volume level on the B&K that matches the other channels of the RSP-1066 (easy to do with a SPL meter and adjusting the volume on the B&K) you can just have the B&K connected to the Rotel Amp via its RCAs fro stereo and HT....

Geoff

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"