X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJK
    • Jun 2003

Studio 60's & ?

Maybe someone on this forum can help me. I am considering the Rotel 1075 for Paradigm Studio 60's, CC, & ADP's. I am currently running them with a Sony DA4ES. I am also considering the 1080 2CH and putting off new amplification for the other three channels for budget reasons. Will the 1075 be enough or will I wish I had more power for my 60's? I would prefer to have the 5 channel amp for the center and surrounds but I am concerned that for stereo listening it will not be enough compared to what I would get from the 1080. Do the 60's really need 200WPC?
  • Mary
    • Jun 2003

I am currently running the 1075 with the 1066pre/pro. I made a jump from Sony str-db930. I have Paradigm Monitor speakers. 9's in front, cc370 center and mini- monitors rear and velodyne f series sub. I have experienced a major improvement with the rotel equipment. Cleaned up everything and I don't feel starved for power. In fact my "stereo guy" wants me to move up speaker wise he said because of the power I have now. And if I ever decide to go center rear (7.1) I will possibly go with the 1080 for the mains.
    mary

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

More power is usually a good thing :twisted: but the 1075's a pretty solid amp already and the 60's aren't that inefficient. How large is your room? Are they set to large or small?

Comment

• SJK
        • Jun 2003

Andrew;
        My room size is about 16' X 20'. The speakers are set for small w/ an 80hz crossover. I use a HSU VTF-3 Sub. I am considering different crossovers as well. One of the reasons for my apprehension with the 1075 is that supposedly the Sony 4ES can put out 145WPC X 2 when running in stereo mode and I still feel there is more in these speakers. In fact I know there is from the audition I had with a McIntosh amp at my local stereo store.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

what Sony claims and what the receiver actually delivers are completely two different things. this site shows just how badly some models do when actually tested. The Sony couldn't be tested since Sony claims the 4ES can't do all channels driven at once which is a major red flag IMO to the quality of the power supply used.

As far as the amp will your dealer let you take home one of the amps to demo? If not what's their return policy?

Comment

• Cougar Guy
            • Feb 2003

I agree with Andrew. The first thing I would do is try and demo the 1075 and see how it performs with your 60's. I have a hard time believing that the 1075 would not be a dramatic improvement over the Sony. I think it would make those 60's sing.

I am running a 1080 with Studio 80's and a PW-2200. Right now I've got the 80's high passed but I have played them full range with the 1080 and it was nothing short of very impressive. The 1080 has more than enough jam for the 80's . . . enough that I can never imagine needing a more powerful amp. Would the 1080 work with your 60's? Of course, and it would sound great. Is it overkill? Perhaps. I would audition the 1075 and decide from there. You could even consider the 1070 if you only want to look at 2 channel for the time being. Find a good dealer (or one thatsells Paradigm and Rotel) and spend the day playing with different combos and music you know really well.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Mary, I would guess you may be ready to move up in speakers. Maybe move the fronts to the rear and bump up the fronts a notch. But reserve power is a good thing too.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Energeezer
                • Sep 2002

SJK
                I'm runnung a 1055/1075 combo with studio 60s and have no complaints. Plenty o power.
                Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
                The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Henk
                  • Jun 2003

I currently have the 1075 with Studio 60s and B&W 602 rears. I am definitely getting the 1080 for the fronts, especially for stereo mode. Interestingly, if you look at the active Studio 40s (which closely resemble the 60s) you'll see that Paradigm themselves drive the 40s with 175 watt amplification.

Another reason why I am getting the 1080 is because I want to add a secong centre speaker. The 1075 will then drive the centres and two rears (leaving a spare channel for upgrade to a 6.1 system).

Comment

• Henk
                    • Jun 2003

I currently have the 1075 with Studio 60s and B&W 602 rears. I am definitely getting the 1080 for the fronts, especially for stereo mode. Interestingly, if you look at the active Studio 40s (which closely resemble the 60s) you'll see that Paradigm themselves drive the 40s with 175 watt amplification.

Another reason why I am getting the 1080 is because I want to add a second centre speaker. The 1075 will then drive the centres and two rears (leaving a spare channel for upgrade to a 6.1 system).

Comment

• SJK
                      • Jun 2003

Thanks to all who have responded. Now you see my dilemma. Henk, it seems as though you feel the 1075 is not enough to properly drive the 60's whereas Energeezer feels it is. My local Rotel dealer is a B&W dealer - not a Paradigm dealer, which is why I cannot audition my exact setup at the store. I contacted Paradigm via e-mail and they recommended an amp between 150-200WPC. The 1075 supposedly clips in stereo mode at about 165WPC. Does this mean that I will be getting more power in stereo mode or is it still “just” 120WPC?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Well most amps will put out more power if fewer channels are being used since there's more power available. For example my HK amps benched at something like 95 watts all channels diven but 150 watts if only three were used.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"