X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbank
    • Jun 2004

rmb-1066 or rmb-1075?

Hi All,

I have a couple questions concerning whether to purchase a 1066 or a 1075. First, let me list my current setup. :-)

fronts: Paradigm Studio 60s
    center: Paradigm cc-470
    Rears & surrounds: just some plain Bose

The front speakers are amped with a RB-1080, and i have a Bryston sp1.7 pre/pro.

I'm in the market to get an amp for the center and all of the rears and surrounds (A total of 5 speakers), I can do this simply with a rmb-1075, but I think that that much power is overkill. The only speaker that I feel needs that power would be the center. So I was thinking of either by-amping with two of the channels on the 1066, or bridging them and doing a by-wire job to the center speaker. Either way, it still leaves me with 4 leftover channels for the rears and surrounds.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!
    --
    Steve
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by sbank
    I can do this simply with a rmb-1075, but I think that that much power is overkill. The only speaker that I feel needs that power would be the center. So I was thinking of either by-amping with two of the channels on the 1066, or bridging them and doing a by-wire job to the center speaker. Either way, it still leaves me with 4 leftover channels for the rears and surrounds.
    In my opinion, More power is NEVER overkill!...and you might need that extra power in the future!!

And bridging is not always recomended...
    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• sbank
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Tha Freak
      In my opinion, More power is NEVER overkill!...and you might need that extra power in the future!!
      Hmph. I was afraid someone was going to say that.

But I never mentioned that I do a lot of movie watching. So the extra power probably would be very useful for the center speaker. (Instead of playing bridging games.)

Originally posted by "Tha Freak
      And bridging is not always recomended...
      Could you expound on that please? I was originally going to go with the bridging method. But then thought that using two channels to byamp the center speaker would be better. (I'm leaning towards the byamp method right now...)

So I guess if bridging is frowned down upon, that leaves the 1066 byamped, or just the 1075. Would I gain anything from byamping the center speaker?

-s
      --
      Steve

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

some people say that bridging an amp increase the noise and distortion could be heard at lower levels!...

But I personally had a pair of RB-970 bridged and it played quite fine...

But I believe that most people here would not recomend it!...that's why I'm saying this!!
        - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I can do this simply with a rmb-1075, but I think that that much power is overkill.
          Nope there's never too much power :insert tim allen grunt here:

I'd go for the 1075 if for no other reason then it gives you room to upgrade later and not have to worry about also needing to upgrade the amp. The 1075/1080 combo is what I recomend most for people as its a strong ballence of power up front and strong amps all round for the rest of the speakers. Bi amping the centre off the 1066 could work but it still wouldn't give you the power that speaker demands...esp being a centre speaker as its the most important speaker in your system for HT use.

Comment

• sbank
            • Jun 2004

Thanks!

Hmmm. Looks like the 1075 is it then!

I was afraid about the power issue, (that center speaker is HUGE!) but didn't want to bring it up so that people would just jump on that.

I love the way the Rotel matches with the Paradigms, so I knew I wanted to get another Rotel. (I also had some issues with the RB-1080 that Rotel customer service went above and beyond to help me out with. So they won a repeat customer in me.)

Thanks everyone for your replies.
            :T
            --
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"