X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

1095 too much for Paradigm Studio 20?

I've got a Rotel 1066/1075 combo and have been contemplating an upgrade in the amp department. I'd like the system to be a tad more effortless with music and more amplifier power is usually the solution. Thing is the 20's are only rated up to 150 watts. Now I know speaker power ratings aren't good for much but Paradigm could refuse a claim should something happen.

The other option would be to just buy a 2-ch amp like the RB-1080 for the Studio 100's up front. Then I've got to make more rackspace.

Any suggestions

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rega Planet 2000
    Denon DVD-2900
    Mitsubishi WS-55411
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
    Velodyne CT-120
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

My suggestion, although it is somewhat biased, is to upgrade to the RB-1080 and utilize the 1075 for the rears. Give it a trial run before performing equipment rack adjustments, to see if it is worth it for you. I think it will make those Studio 100's sing.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Ditto Bill, go for the 1080

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Bill:

If you e-mail me, I'll give you another alternative. It isn't a Rotel solution so I don't want to offend anyone publicly.

Jim
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Bill Blank
          • Sep 2002

Go ahead and give it Jim, I'm open minded just as I would think everyone else here is.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
          Rotel RMB-1075
          Rega Planet 2000
          Denon DVD-2900
          Mitsubishi WS-55411
          Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

More power is better than not enough. You'll ruin your speakers by clipping using an amp with not enough power before you destroy them by overdrving. Currently I use a 1095 in a Studio 40/20/570 setup, with no problems. One thing to remember is you'll probably never use full power from your amp for the rears.

ht_addict

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

One thing to remember is you'll probably never use full power from your amp for the rears.
              Hell you'll probably never use full power in the mains either with a 1095! This is precisely why I recommend the 1080. Why buy all the power in thos extra channels if you don't need it and won't ever use it? Not to mention the 1080 will cost you less and give you even better 2-channel performance for music than the 1095. The only reason I'd even lean to the 1095 is for DVD-A and SACD and even then 99.9% of the time the 1075/1080 would be more than what you need, especially with smaller speakers. Add to that, your 1075 no longer having the burden of powering your mains, you'll have more resources to power the surrounds and centre with it.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• Jason Brown
                • Jan 2004

I'm powering my studio 20s with a 1095 with no problems -- it sounds great. Like previously mentioned, amp clipping is much more likely to damage a speaker than using an amp rated above the recommended suitable power range. The 1095's 200 watts of clean power is too close to the 20's 150W rating to worry about. I'd hate to think how loud it would have to be to clip the 1095.

Being mainly a 2-channel guy myself, if I were looking to upgrade from the 1075, I would consider looking into the 1080 as suggested for the fronts, or any amp your budget might allow.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

O.k. here goes. I know that I'll probably get some grief about it but what the heck. I love Rotel for their pre-pros, etc. but I am not a fan of their amps (I do own a 1050 for my Zone 2 application). My personal opinion and I'll own it. I had a 1095 that was fraught with problems and I got rid of it. I know many guys swear by their Rotel 1075, 1095, 1080, etc. and I am glad they like them. I agree with a couple of points raised here regarding clipping potential...a less powerful amp usually would be the culprit in speaker damage via clipping. Also, if you want more dynamic performance for stereo music, I'd go with a 2-channel amp for your fronts and let your 1075 handle the rears/surrounds. My suggestion, albeit more expensive than a Rotel 1080, is a Bryston 4B SST. If money isn't an object then I'd look at this amp very seriously. Its sound reproduction is impeccable and you certainly cannot beat the 20 year transferable warranty.

If you have serious space issues and 2-channel enhancement is not as important as having a "one-box" solution for overall performance enhancement, then I'd look at an Earthquake CineNova Grande 5. Though MSRP is more than double a 1095, you can find authorized dealers (I know a top-notch one) that can sell it for a tad over the price of a 1095. It has a 10-year transferable warranty.

Both of these amps put you in the 300 watt/channel range (@ 8 ohms) but they are beauties to behold.

I have more info on each amp as well as an amp comparison spreadsheet I've put together if you are interested. See my profile for my e-mail info.

If funds are an issue though or you want to keep straight-up with Rotel, either route would do you well; i.e., the 1080 amp for fronts and use your 1075 for your surrounds or go with the 1095. It would be up to you as far as what your listening pleasures are.

Jim

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

No grief Jim In fact, budget allowing, I'd encourage him to listen to other brands and models of amps. One, he may gain a greater appreciation for the quality and value of Rotel's amps by comparing it to others. Two, he may find something he falls in love with over a Rotel amp.

Everyone's ears and budgets are different and he should be encouraged to get the amp he likes the most for what he can afford, Rotel or otherwise. Now being that we're in a Rotel forum and he has other Rotel gear, obviously Rotel products will be some of the first recommended. Also as equipment can introduce it's own sonic characteristics, whichever amp he should get, he should confirm will blend well with his 1075 in order to maintain a cohesive sound field.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Bill Blank
                      • Sep 2002

I kind of like the idea of sticking in a dedicated 2-ch amp, though I'd feel like I was wasting the other 2 channels in my 1075.

I'm going to keep an eye out for the Rotel 1080, the Bryston, and I've always wanted a Class A Krell so they're in the mix as well.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                      Rotel RMB-1075
                      Rega Planet 2000
                      Denon DVD-2900
                      Mitsubishi WS-55411
                      Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Who say's you'd have to waste them? I'm assuming your speakers are bi-ampable? So bi-amp the centre to give it more juice like your mains and pick up another speaker for centre-back. Or maybe you look in to a 1070 to bi-amp the mains? Maybe you use those amp channels to power a second zone? There's lot's you can do with the extra channels :P

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I kind of like the idea of sticking in a dedicated 2-ch amp, though I'd feel like I was wasting the other 2 channels in my 1075.
                          I'd go for the 1080 as well...its supposed to be more musical then the 1095, is cheaper and gives you more flexibility with the extra channels on the 1075. I'd use the extra channels to either bi amp your center, power a passive sub, run a second zone or go 7.1 with them.

Comment

• spiffnme
                            • Apr 2003

Don't forget to consider the Odyssey Stratos if you're interested in adding a 2 channel amp. I had one for awhile when I tried 7.1 for awhile. Sweet piece of gear.

I've since gone back to 5.1 and couldn't rationalize keeping the Stratos and wasting two channels of my RMB-1075, so I recently sold it. I'm very happy with my 1075 though. Great amp, and great looking piece of equipment as well.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                            All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Bill Blank
                              • Sep 2002

run a second zone
                              Now that's a good idea! I may watch some Krells on Ebay before I jump on a 1080. I've heard what their Class A power is capable of and it makes me drool to say the least.

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                              Rotel RMB-1075
                              Rega Planet 2000
                              Denon DVD-2900
                              Mitsubishi WS-55411
                              Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Bill:

I don't want to get too far off the subject and start talking more and more about non-Rotel products (out of respect for the forum). That is why I asked you to e-mail me. That being said, there's been a few good ideas given and while I am not knocking Krell in the least bit, don't sell the Bryston short as a Class A amp. There's a lot written about their amps and note that many recording studios as well as artists use their amps. I know you mentioned you'd consider it but it seems your heart may be set on the Krell. No problem if that is your ultimate dream but I am supremely confident that if you are looking to drop some major bucks on an amp such as Krell, you would do yourself a disservice by not giving an equal opportunity to the Bryston.

Just my 2 cents and humble opinion.

Best of luck to you....

Jim

P.S. The Zone 2 application is a great idea on using your "extra" channels from your 1075.

Comment

• Bill Blank
                                  • Sep 2002

What about this option guys:

2 NAD C270's bridged into mono for 300W x 2??

I've always liked the NAD sound and I use their C340 in a second system with B&W 601's.

Anyone in this Rotel forum think the bridged NAD's would offer better sound than a Rotel RB-1080??

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                                  Rotel RMB-1075
                                  Rega Planet 2000
                                  Denon DVD-2900
                                  Mitsubishi WS-55411
                                  Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

I personally wouldn't bridge anything. Bridging adds noise and distortion. Regardless of if you go Nad or Rotel I'd bi-amp before I bridged, a way better option IMO.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

I don't want to get too far off the subject and start talking more and more about non-Rotel products (out of respect for the forum). That is why I asked you to e-mail me.
                                      If you'd like to talk in more general terms about different amps I'd suggest you start a thread in the hometheater area of the guide so that others can comment that may not peek into Club Rotel

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                        • Oct 2002

You should also consider the new Anthem Statement P2, at 2X325W, for less $$$ then the Bryston 4BSST.

It's the new high-end line from Anthem.
                                        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"