X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

HDCD decoding for Rotel RCD-1070

As far as I know HDCD is an improved 20 bit encoding method for Audio CD’s. However in Rotel RCD-1070 only a maximum of 18 bits is available internally for conversion. Does it mean that the decoder for HDCD used by Rotel is reducing the strength of bit data to 18 bits? Is RSP-1066 using the same decoder as RCD-1070 for HDCD? Thx.
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Pbarata,

I have experimented with that actual scenario. I have cables in both the analogue and cable outs of the RCD-1070 (different cable brands) 8O.

The following occurs:

Analogue Mode:

1) HDCD on the RCD-1070 is active (not on the the RSP-1066).
    2) Increased db on the lows, decrease db on the mids and highs.

Cable Mode:

1) HDCD on the RSP-1066 is active (RSP-1070 also active).
    2) Increased Mids, highs, and decreased lows.
    3) Increase in dynamics.
    4) RSP-1066 sometimes experiences signal delays (2 to 3 secs), going from analogue to optical.

Conclusion:

I enjoyed the Cable version more due to the increased dynamics (increased the bass +2db on the RSP-1066), however your mileage may vary.

I' ll still need to experiment, (did the cabling provide the difference in the DAC's,etc.).

Just my thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• jaakan
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by pbarata
      As far as I know HDCD is an improved 20 bit encoding method for Audio CD’s. However in Rotel RCD-1070 only a maximum of 18 bits is available internally for conversion. Does it mean that the decoder for HDCD used by Rotel is reducing the strength of bit data to 18 bits? Is RSP-1066 using the same decoder as RCD-1070 for HDCD? Thx.
      Where are you getting the 18 bits from?

the RCD-1070 has a PCM1732 DAC/HDCD chip which outputs 96khz/24bit.
      normal data for this chip is 16bits, 20bits, or 24bits / 16khz to 96khz
      HDCD are 20bit or 24bit

The RCD-1070 has a max of 24 bits and not 18bits

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"