X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

I believe in HDCD

When I first bought my rotel gear, I didn't really believe in HDCD. I had never heard of it and didn't think I could get any better sound w/o moving up to SACD or DVD-A. I realized I had one disc that was HDCD encoded and that was Beck's 'Sea Change'. I played this disc and realized it sounded amazing. Today, I picked up Pet Sounds HDCD. I was excited to do an A/B comparo b/c I had a Beach Boys greatest hits disc w/ some tracks from Pet Sounds on it. I a/b'd and there is a noticeable difference in sound quality. Now I'm looking everywhere for HDCD discs.

A few on my list:
    The Cars
    Beck - 'Mutations'

Anyone else have any HDCD discs they like, or am I just full of it when it comes to HDCD sounding better?
    Christopher
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

When I had a Denon 3805 to play with for a few days, I made sure to try out a couple HDCDs in my collection. You aren't full of it... HDCD sounds wonderful.

One HDCD disc I have that sounds great is Pure Moods IV.

Comment

• glangston@socal
      • May 2004

I have

HDCD's of Buffalo Springfield's Last Time Around and Emmylou Harris's Wrecking Ball and really enjoy them. In fact, since they are in a format that can be shared I actually prefer them to the DVD-Audio for that simple reason.

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

Heres a few more to add to your list:
        A. The Best of Dire Straits
        B. King Crimson,

#1 In the Wake 0f the Posidon
        #2 Lizard
        #3 Starless and Bible Black
        #4 Larks Tongue's in aspic
        #5 Red
        #6 Islands
        C. The Best of Judy Collins
        D. Camel,
        #1 A Nod and a Wink
        As I run into more that are in my collection, I will post them.
        BTW I've also heard a difference with this format as well.
        Thanks for bringing it up!

Regards,
        Dave...

Comment

• rotel&energy
          • May 2004

I was looking at an HDCD list online last night and found another disc that I own that is HDCD - Neil Young's Mirror Ball. I haven't listened to that disc in years! I'll have to check it out b/c I definitely didn't have an HDCD player when I bought the disc back in '95.
          Christopher

Comment

• NMyTree
            • May 2004

I have at least 2 dozen HDCD discs, and I think they sound wonderful. There is a difference. HDCD makes a difference.

I have HDCD discs from Classical.......to Country and Rock.

John Mellencamp (Cougar)'s "Cutting Heads" is an excellent example of how HDCD really makes a difference. The sound quality of this album is excellent. Especially for a Rock album. The HDCD just makes it soooooooooooo....Gooooood.

If you like his music or Rock music, the title cut "Cutting Heads" will absolutely ROCK your speakers. The bass is tight and powerful...the guitars are distorted....yet clean and edgy. I'm not at all a Rap/ hip-hop fan. Not at all. Can't stand it. But there is a little Rap break towards the middle-end of this song, and I have to admit.....I actually like it. It fits well. The subject content of this song is also a bit provacative. I think it's a very good and positive statement, about a negative issue. So you may want to preview the song first, yourself, before allowing kids are anyone who is too sensitive to hear it. Decide for yourself.

I know from experience, that some overly sensitive people can initially misinterpret the lyrics, and miss the overall message. But usually when they're given the lyrics (in the CD liner)....and they read them; they understand the message of the song.

The whole album is very, very good. Great songs.

I use this album to audition Rock music on speakers and components, as well as a few others.
            Tony

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yes, HDCD's sound fantastic. And because they are mastered so well, you do not need HDCD decoding to enjoy the benefits of this. I own quite a few disc yet, not one piece of gear that decodes them. And eveyone of the HDCD's sound considerable than any of standard redbook cd's that I own.

So enjoy and keep collecting them!
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Yes, I concur HDCD discs sound wonderful, even though there are sometimes difficult to find (I use a URL, which I won't mention here). I currently own one HDCD disc by Jonathan Butler and a few songs that are not labled as HDCD on the disc, but recorded in HDCD. However since, I know own the Pioneer DV-57AI, I have switched formats to DVD-A and SACD.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• tsb
                  • Aug 2005

Hey!
                  Now it's have gonne some time since You guys wrote this about the HDCD-thing.
                  I just want You to know about this data-base. Have a look at www.hdcd.se
                  For easy reading: choose the enlish version...

Comment

• NMyTree
                    • May 2004

Cool! Thanks tsb ! 8) 8)

I've accumulated many more HDCD discs.
                    Tony

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"