X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

RSP-1066/RMB-1075 Bombastic bass

On March 2003 issue of Hi-FiNews, Rotel RSX-1055 measured frequency response is not as flat as expected, with a clear boost for low frequencies between 20 and 100 Hz. I guess that RSP-1066/RMB-1075 probably share the same characteristics, because in my present set-up I can really perceive a bombastic bass response, which in some cases is quite annoying, as I feel a lot of sound pressure in my room. This is particularly evident in pure stereo where a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8i speakers is used as front speakers. Thus, what could I do in order to reduce this bombastic bass a little?
    1 - Use the balance knob and decrease a bit the bass gain?
    2 - Change the interconnect cables between Pre-amp and Amp (now QED Qunex 2)?
    3 - Change the speaker cables (now QED Original Bi-wire MKII)?
    4 - Cover the rear speaker ports using a sponge?

Maybe the solutions are a combination of these possibilities? Thx.
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.
  • dali
    • Jul 2002

I doubt that the Rotel's are to blame ... Monitor Audio Silver 8i are known for their strong bass. Do not place them close to a wall or (even worse) close to a corner in your listening room.

Using tone controls to reduce bass is not preferred, changing cables should not have that big an impact. Some soft material in the rear (bass) port is a good idea and is very easy to try, just use a pair of socks or something similar.

Good luck.

Comment

• Stuart_Bonell
      • Nov 2002

Do you have a subwoofer? If so, this will be active even in stereo mode unless you have reduced the subwoofer volume right down and could cause the problem you are hearing.

You can turn off the subwoofer for just Stereo as long as you have 1.48 or later firmware. If you bought the RSP recently your firmware may start with a 2 in which case you need v2.22 or later.

You can check firmware version by pressing and holding mute button.

See FAQ for more details on some of this stuff.

Good luck.

Stuart

Comment

• jeffst
        • Feb 2003

I have a 1055/1075 powering a pair of Monitor Silver 6i's for my fronts. Due to room sizing and architectural committee control ( ) I only have my speakers out from the rear wall about 15-18".

While I have not yet to use an SPL meter to calibrate my system, I too noticed a lot of mid-bass boom. Stuffing foam into the bottom port on the 6i's has, at least to my ears, cleaned up the boom.

Comment

• pbarata
          • Feb 2003

Thanks for all comments. Unfortunately one of the Silver 8i is located near a corner. However is within the safe distances recommend by Monitor Audio (more than 20 cm from the rear wall and more than 50 cm from the side wall). Also the subwoofer is OFF for 2-channel stereo. So, changes to reduce the bombastic bass are really the cover the rear ports with my socks.
          I hope that the holes in my socks make them not as effective as expected ;-)
          Changing Rotel combo is not an alternative, because I just love it. Maybe later, I can consider changing Monitor Audio speakers. I wonder which kinds of speakers make a good pair with Rotel, because many of them really do, due the high facility to drive speakers with Rotel RMB-1075 !!
          Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
          Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• spiffnme
            • Apr 2003

I have the 1075/1066 combo as well. I use Axiom M22ti speakers with a Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer, and absolutely love it. I've never heard clearer, more detailed speakers than the M22's, and with the added sub, I get a solid, full bodied sound from high to low.

I did notice when I upgraded from my Onkyo TX-SV919thx receiver to my Rotel separates, that the bass had a bit more authority, but it seemed tighter, with a bit more punch. Certainly not "bombastic". Of course my speakers had little bass to begin with, so I was starting from a differnent place than you are.

Good luck with your setup. If you're in the market for new speakers, and like a crisp, clear, detailed sound, I recommend you at least give some Axioms a listen. In my opinion, they sound really great with the Rotel gear.

Enjoy!

-Craig

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
            All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"