X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadow
    • Dec 2003

RB 985 II v RB 1075

I have an opportunity to get a 985 II for a good price. I know it lacks the 12 volt trigger and is slightly less powerful, but I am curious how it compares sonically with the 1075. Any experience/opinions?
  • rotel_klipsch
    • Nov 2003

I had one for a couple weeks before my 1075 arrived. It sounded very musical to me considerably better than the Denon 580x I was replacing. I thought at the time I really needed the 12volt trigger (which I don't use currently). Bottom line is that the 985II is a much better deal for the dollar. I did not notice any improvement when I hooked up the 1075 other than it looked more impressive.
    Get the most BANG for your BUCK

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

Thanks, it seems that way to me although I seem to remember a post somewhere a few weeks ago in which the person stated that the 1075 sounded superior. Cannot even remember what forum it appeared in so imagine trying to find it, but I will look. :rofl:

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

I own a RB-985MKII as well. Altough the new 1075 is a very good amp, I found the difference very small. I even thought the 985 was a little less harsh on high volumes.

I would suggest you get the 985MKII, and save some money. Unless you absolutely need that 12V trigger....
        Last edited by eelco74; 05 October 2004, 16:54 Tuesday.
        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• shadow
          • Dec 2003

Thanks for the suggestion. It appears according to the Rotel web site that the amp has been out of production since 1998. This would make a used pretty old now. Any concerns due to age?

Comment

• booktrunk
            • Aug 2004

I've owned both, including both at the same time once for a few months.

Go for the 985 MK II. I can't tell any difference between the two

With regard to age etc... It's a power amp it just plods along, might occasionally blow a fuse if so just replace it Go for it.

Steff
            "Whether sad, angry, distressed, eager, or playful, elephants are this in a big way"

"The way in which our society deals with minorities is a guide to our civilisation."

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The age shouldn't really be that much of a factor but the capacitors will ware out over time. I had a musical fidelity amp that was built in the early 80's and it worked perfectly so you've got lots of life left in that 985:T

Comment

• eelco74
                • Dec 2002

I am pretty sure that the 985MKII was sold until early 2002. At least here in Europe. I also got one second hand in 2003 , and it was at that time only 1 year old.
                Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• shadow
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by eelco74
                  I am pretty sure that the 985MKII was sold until early 2002. At least here in Europe. I also got one second hand in 2003 , and it was at that time only 1 year old.
                  Well the Rotel web site says it was not produced after 1998, but by other replies age may not be that important of a factor.

Comment

• AndrewD
                    • Oct 2004

I still have and love my RB-985 (Mk 1) which I have had since new in 1998. I have not had a single issue or niggle with it, and I love the sound. It is a very solid piece of equipment. I think there is very little difference with the MkII (appart from the impressive looking heatsinks on the front of the MkII), so I think you should have no concerns with the age or quality of this.

Comment

• spiffnme
                      • Apr 2003

The 1075 is better to look at, if that matters to you.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"