X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tennberg
    • Sep 2004

New to Rotel - Questions about RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 Setup

Hi everyone,

I just purchased and hooked up an RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 in my HT system to replace an aging Onkyo TX-DS747 5.1 receiver. So far, it's working out well.

I had a few questions, however:

1. Currently, my HD/DVR cable box is plugged into the 1068 via coaxial digital audio and to the TV via component video. I noticed that while switching some channels, I get a noise through speakers like a quick "shhhh". What might be causing this?

2. While listening to a CD on my DVD player through PCM 2 Channel mode connected to the 1068 via coaxial digital audio, I noticed some noise while adjusting the volume. This doesn't happen on every adjustment, only once in a while. What might be casuing this?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well it could be numerous things, noisy or bad interconnects, RF interference, ground loops, dimmer switches etc.

The best way to troubleshoot this is to hook up the least amount of cables as possible to narrow down the culprit. Then plug one thing at a time back in until the problem re-appears...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• tennberg
      • Sep 2004

So...

I've unplugged everything except the amp, pre-amp, speakers, and DVD player to see if that made the slight "shhh" crackling noise disappear. No luck. I then plugged in my previous CD player via analog RCA cables and put the pre-amp in CD stereo mode and still the same sound. I even switched my two rear speakers to the front to see if the problem remained, and it did.

Right now, my guesses are the following:

1. The unit is defective and needs to be replaced. I am going to see if the problem remains over time. Luckily, I have a 5 year warranty on it. Also, I live about 12 miles from Rotel's NA headquarters. I've read posts where people who work for Rotel have visited people in the area who have issues. You never know.

2. The unit needs to be "broken-in". Granted, this is opening a can of worms on this topic, but maybe it's true in this case.

3. Something somewhere is causing interference, though it's odd it only occurs when adjusting the volume (when listening to CDs or viewing DVDs), or when switching channels on the cable box.

Comment

• tennberg
        • Sep 2004

As an update:

I spoke to my Rotel dealer about the issue and he suggested a line conditioner might help to resolve the problem. I noticed the past couple nights that the popping sound or "shh" sound would even occur while watching a DVD and not changing anything, or while staying on the same cable channel and watching the same show (and not going to commercial).

He is lending me, I believe, Rotel's RLC-900 to see if it makes any difference in the system. I am not sure if this is jumping the gun or not. Any chance (not to start a debate or open a can of worms) that the RSP-1068 needs to break-in? It could be that it just needs a few weeks to settle in and that the sound will go away.

Has anyone had any expereince with the RLC-900? Do you think it would help in this case? If not, he said they would examine the unit and either send it to Rotel for repair or set up an exchange on it.

Comment

• hamiltong
          • Feb 2003

Tennberg,

Please keep us posted.. I believe that I have this problem as well. -gh

Comment

• mikeyc
            • Sep 2004

tennberg:
            this review of the rlc900 line conditioner had mixed results

to summarize, it didn't reduce any line noise but they liked the delayed power on/off feature.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
              • May 2004

I have the RLC-900 and enjoy it as a time delay mega power strip/surge protector. I do not know about its quality of filtering. I am not sure if it is actually supposed to do all that much filtering. If you think the problem is in the power then I would recommend you look into getting a UPS instead of a line conditioner.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Okay, since no one mentioned it, have you tried to disconnect your cable TV.

Just a quick thought.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• tennberg
                  • Sep 2004

Azeke: I have tried disconnecting both the power on the TV and the cable box and the cable line from the wall to the box, as well as the digital coax cable from the cable box to the 1068. Nothing helped.

hamiltong, et. al.: I swung by the retailer where I got both Rotel pieces during lunch today, and spoke to a couple different people there. They both thought it had nothing to do with line conditioning and everything to do with a defect in the 1068. I am brining in my 1068 tonight in the original box, and exchaning it for a new-in-box 1068 (great service here). Hopefully, this will resolve the issue. If not, the guys there said they'd get in touch with Rotel to resolve it.

Comment

• tennberg
                    • Sep 2004

Update:

I returned the 1068 back to my dealer for a new-in-box 1068, took it home, and got it all hooked up. Much to my dismay, the problem was still there: popping while changing the volume, popping while remaining in a scene on a DVD or on a cable show.

My roommate then suggested hooking up the 1068 to his CD player and Adcom amp with all analog cables. We then listened to a CD on his setup in analog stereo mode and the problem was still present on his setup.

So, I've come to one of two conclusions: One, this is just how it is and I need to learn to deal with these pops. Or, two, there is a defect with the RSP-1068 model line that can hopefully be resolved with a software update.

I will next be working with my dealer and Rotel to pinpoint the issue. Any insight is welcome.

Comment

• tennberg
                      • Sep 2004

Update:

I returned to my dealer with a couple CDs in hand and listened to them using the RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 on a pair of Dali speakers. By both moving the volume control and leaving it alone, I was able to recreate the popping in their store. I was quite happy that I was able to do this, proving I was simply not hearing things. As a note, the software version on their 1068 was 1.1.3.

They loaned me a Rotel RLC-900 line conditioner, which I took home and hooked up properly. Even with the line conditioner on there, I was able to recreate the problem.

I am now nearly 100% convinced that the problem lies with the 1068, either as a physical design flaw or a software flaw. I will be working with both my dealer and Rotel to come to a resolution in this matter, whatever that may be. Comments are welcome from other 1068 owners who may have this same problem.

Comment

• Stevebez
                        • Oct 2003

I am not clear when the problem occurs.

When you say a "poping" / "static" sound does this occur when

1 You change volume ?

2 You do nothing (e.g. while watching DVD) ?

3 When you change source ?

4 Switching the unit on and off ?

5 Any other time ?

I think "yes" to anything other than 4 above is down to a faulty unit / software.

Compared to the 1066 I had, the limited switching popping I used to get has all but been eliminated. The unit certainly is "silent" while operating uninterupted - perhaps one of its best qualities - and also in volume changes / source changes.

It is very worrying to hear that the problem could be recreated in store on one of their units. I can only suggest upgrading to 1.1.7 software though as I know some issues similar to this have been resolved with the new software by putting in longer delays I believe.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• kiki
                          • Sep 2004

when i connected my tv to the 1068, everytime I change channel, I can hear loud 'shhhh' sound, is this normal?

Comment

• tennberg
                            • Sep 2004

1 You change volume ?
                            Yes, either up or down
                            Yes, while watching a DVD or a show on cable, without any scene changes or going to commercial
                            No, I can change from the DVD player coax input to the cable box coax input without getting a shhh/pop sound
                            No
                            5 Any other time ?
                            No

Steve:

This is the second 1068 from them (both new-in-box) that have exhibited this behavior, in addition to their in-store demo unit. Both the ones I got had version 1.1.7 of the software, while their demo unit had 1.1.3. If all three units are defective, Rotel has quite the quality control issue with these pre-amps.

My dealer is calling Rotel tomorrow (Tuesday) to escelate this problem and hopefully resolve it. I will keep posting any updates on here.

Originally posted by Stevebez
                            I am not clear when the problem occurs.

When you say a "poping" / "static" sound does this occur when

1 You change volume ?

5 Any other time ?

I think "yes" to anything other than 4 above is down to a faulty unit / software.

Compared to the 1066 I had, the limited switching popping I used to get has all but been eliminated. The unit certainly is "silent" while operating uninterupted - perhaps one of its best qualities - and also in volume changes / source changes.

It is very worrying to hear that the problem could be recreated in store on one of their units. I can only suggest upgrading to 1.1.7 software though as I know some issues similar to this have been resolved with the new software by putting in longer delays I believe.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"