X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KEF
    • Aug 2004

Thoughts on the RC-1070 vs 1090

I am in the process of upgrading my N804s to N803s, and at about the same time I want to add a pre to my RCD-1072 and RB-1080. The question is, I am a loudspeaker guy and will not use the headphone feature on RC-1090, nor will I be using the balanced connections.

One reason for this post is because my guy at the Audio Store (who is really a good guy) has basically told me that he wouldn’t buy the RC-1090 over the 1070 w/o the Phono requirement.

So the question is, what would you guys do? I know the 1070 will be an upgrade over my Yamaha RX-V1400, so that isn’t the issue… If anyone has done a side-by-side with these two I’d like to hear about it.

Oh, and yes, I know, I will be trying it out in my house – these guys will let me take whatever I want home… just looking for some opinions

Cheers,
    Keith
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

I just added the 1070 to my htset-up and couldn't be happier. I did an in home head to head with an adcom GFP-750, and the RC-1070. The Adcom had a tad mellower sound, butt am confident the 1070 will mellow with age as I only have about 7 hours of run time on it. The 1070 as with all Rotel gear is good bang for the buck....

Comment

• Taito
      • Sep 2004

Hi Keith, I have an rcd-1072, an rc-1070 and an rb-1080 and am completely satisfied with the performance of the 1070. It works really well with the other two units.

Although I havn't directly compared the 1070 to the 1090, the main differences between the two are that the 1090 has a display and balanced outpus as well as unbalanced, while the 1070 has a 'contour control' for adjusting the treble and bass. The 1090 does not appear to have any form of tone control.

As I said, I haven't done a side by side comparison, but my dealer, Challenge Hifi (Adelaide, SA), has said that very few people can pick an audible difference between the two pre amps.

Unless you have money to burn, I'd buy the 1070 and be happy. The 1090 weighs in at over twice the price (at least in Aus), for (apparently) very little benefit. The 1070 is an excellent pre, especiallty considering the price.

However, this is my opinion, and you should still definately audition both in an A-B comparison and form your own conclusions.

Ben

Comment

• KEF
        • Aug 2004

Thanks guys

yea, that is pretty much the line that my dealership has taken as well.

The cool thing is that with these guys I get a 100% credit on upgrades for 3 years, the 1080 is getting traded in on the 1090, the same with the N804s and N803s. So the 1070 can really be a down payment on something else...

Ah, nothing like a never-ending money pit! haha

Cheers,
        Keith

Comment

• Taito
          • Sep 2004

Do you mean that your dealer will give you 100% of what you've paid for a product back when you upgrade it ?! :E Sounds like your HT ship has come in!

It sounds like you've decided to get the 1070. It's a great little unit, and you may actually find that you struggle to find a reasonably priced replacement for it within 3 years. I've got no intention of letting go of mine!

Ben

Comment

• KEF
            • Aug 2004

Yes, but there is a small catch

When you upgrade, your initial purchase price is applied to the full price of the new component without any discount.

I got 15% off my N804s - When I upgrade to the 803s the price I paid for the 804s is applied to the new 803s. Same goes for the amp, I just loose any discount -

But, you have to pay to play....

Cheers,
            Keith

Comment

• Taito
              • Sep 2004

That's still a pretty sweet deal, but I can't complain about my dealer, the last thing that I bought was an RCD-1072, which I got 12% just for asking. When I bought my amps (RC-1070 & RB-1080), The Aussie dollar was strong enough that I saved hundreds.

There's definately no substitute for going to a good dealer. And Yes, you definately have to pay to play, but the game is worth it.

I hope you enjoy your new pre.

-Ben

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"