X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • igk
    • Sep 2004

older RTC-965

Hi guys, i'm new to the AV thing, and i'm thinking of getting into separates. can't afford the new stuff, and i was wondering about getting some used quality components.

any comments on this preamp/processor? any common problems i should be warned about? is there a problem with the DTS decoding and sub control (i thought i read something about that as i searched the web for reviews)
    what would i be missing if i picked up one of these preamps vs getting an AV receiver instead...

oh yeah, i'd be looking to use it with a rotel amp as well, and pairing with my paradigm studio reference 60/center...

thanks.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That unit did have an issue with DTS decoding and a noise in the centre channel on some units (mine had the DTS issue). Apparently that was addressed on later models so the one you're looking at may not be affected by it and the DTS bug is fairly easy to hear when you try to watch DTS movies etc.

What sort of budget do you have to work with and where are you located?

Comment

• igk
      • Sep 2004

thanks for the warning about the bugs.
      i'm located in the toronto area. i'm still happy with my set up at the moment because i just recently picked up the new speakers. but i guess i'm already thinking of the future...

looking at spending around $1500 Cdn or so. so either it would be this older processor with an older 5 channel amp, or a newer receiver (but probably still used :cry: ). i haven't gone out to audition them yet, but i was just surfing around online and came across this forum.

i guess my main concern is the processing. has there been much change in the encoding of dvds? i'm not the knowledgable about it, but aren't the major two formats DD and DTS? so what would the newer processors allow for that the older rtc-965 not do?

sorry if these are naive questions.

thanks.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

There has been several new developments in the surround processing since that unit was made...namely DD-EX and DTS-ES which are 6.1 formats as well as a much improved version of pro logix (called PLIIx) which is a huge improvement esp. when watching TV etc.

For that budget what I'd do is look for a used 5 channel amp and then either save up for a newer processor or just use a new lower end receiver that has the formats you need and pre amp out puts to connect it to the amp.

For example you might try emailing this guy and seeing how much he'd let the amp go for. Its a very nice amp and should be about $600ish which would leave you with a good chunk of your budget to put towards a receiver or a used pre amp.

Sherwood amp

this lexicon might make an ok purchase as a pre amp

Here's a used Rotel 1066 pre amp that would be a good buy as well. This amp might do for now if he's split them up.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"