X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aven
    • Sep 2005

Older RSP's vs newer units.

I recently purchased a pair of B&W cdm 1nt's and a asw300 sub from the local dealer ... The plan is to eventually get some cdm 7nt's for fronts, use the 1's for rears, get a center and be in 5.1 heaven...

My next move however is to upgrade my receiver. I currently have a sony ht receiver that's ok. I definitely need an upgrade though...

That said for a good 5.1/2.1 system, what would you recommend? I'm on a tight budget, so I'm mainly considering used equipment (audionon or local if I can find it).... I think I could afford an RSX1055 or 65 or rb985/rtc965.... Maybe the rmb1075/1066 combo probably too expensive)....

All that said, what do you think is my best option? End of the day I don't think I'll go beyond 5.1 for movies or 2.1 for music... I enjoy both 50/50... I'd like to have the cleanest sound possible on a budget...

Are the older 985/965 good by today's standards? What are the disadvantages? I know this a lot of questions... thanks in advance for any input!

Aven
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Bump back to the top. You have my recommendations, I changed your title to hopefully get some more response.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Aven
      I recently purchased a pair of B&W cdm 1nt's and a asw300 sub from the local dealer ... The plan is to eventually get some cdm 7nt's for fronts, use the 1's for rears, get a center and be in 5.1 heaven...

My next move however is to upgrade my receiver. I currently have a sony ht receiver that's ok. I definitely need an upgrade though...

That said for a good 5.1/2.1 system, what would you recommend? I'm on a tight budget, so I'm mainly considering used equipment (audionon or local if I can find it).... I think I could afford an RSX1055 or 65 or rb985/rtc965.... Maybe the rmb1075/1066 combo probably too expensive)....

All that said, what do you think is my best option? End of the day I don't think I'll go beyond 5.1 for movies or 2.1 for music... I enjoy both 50/50... I'd like to have the cleanest sound possible on a budget...

Are the older 985/965 good by today's standards? What are the disadvantages? I know this a lot of questions... thanks in advance for any input!

Aven
      Not sure what your exact budget is, but I can say that the RSX 1055 is great as I have one driving my B&W FPMs and asw 300 which probably are as demanding as your CDMs.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Agreed,
        the rsx1055 is a excellent choice on a tight budget. If budget allows, spring for a used rsx1065.

mantis

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

I owned an RSP 980, which was stellar for 2 channel, most of the surround processors were stand alone units which were had for about $150 each depending on the format. I had an RSX-1055 which had superior surround processing on board, but gave up a little something on the 2 channel side. If you are patient good deals can be had. Good luck, and enjoy.....as thats half the fun of this hobby/ addiction.

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

Don't forget to look at the RSP-976, the predecessor of the 1066 and 1068. I had the 976 before the 1066 and other than fewer features, it's the same quality pre/pro. While not having all the bells and whistles, it does the basics fine (dts, DD, prologic). It's great for music.

Comment

• craigdcan
              • Dec 2002

I'll second that recommendation - the RSP-976 is essentially the 1066 without 7.1, PL2, and a couple minor features. Pairing the 976 with an RB985, or 1075 would serve you well. They can be found quite regularly for decent prices. Patience is the key.

Comment

• Aven
                • Sep 2005

Thanks so much for the recs... Kevin a special thanks for your help... I really appreciate it!

Aven

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"