X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

Sonic Improvements?

I just got the 1098 and Im just wondering where I will hear the improvement in sound. Ive watched a couple of dvds but I dont hear anything that will give it that edge over my 1055. Im just trying to justify the extra 2000 US that I spent on this upgrade besides the cool LCD screen. I also listened to 2 channel but I think my Denon 2900's DAC's sounded better when hooked up analog interconnects. What gives?
  • Sithlord
    • Aug 2004

Threads

I believe you have already started a new thread asking questions about this. Theres no need to create a new one with every new question. It's clear your not happy with the 1098 so I suggest you call your dealer and express your concerns and see what they say, it could be a defective unit. At least cover that option first then address others if the unit is fine. I hope it's something simple.

Comment

• NHT
      • Mar 2004

sorry...just frustrated and venting and begging for a crying for a solution.

Comment

• mars
        • Sep 2004

For me the move to the rsp 1068 netted dramatic improvements in home theatre performance. The improvements were incremental two channel stuff in bass resolution and extention at the expense of slightly flatter, cooler highs. That's compared to an older Aragon piece.

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

Another possibility is the associated equipment. It's possible the 1098 is now "exposing" the weak link in the system whereas maybe the 1055 masked it a bit.

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

I think that the clue to this mistery lies in an answer you gave in another thread:

"Ive always heard the constant endorsement of SPL's (meters ?) and how imperitive to get the proper sound from your system but Ive always thought that just adjusting to your taste has always been more important than trusting a device to tell you what sounds best"

I think you may be setting the 1098 up to your taste, your taste is conditioned by your listening to the 1055, so you are setting the 1098 up to sound like the 1055.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• NHT
              • Mar 2004

Ive actually calibrated with a rat shack digital spl yesterday and I watched my reference movie again, but still no big improvement. I was not blown away and I was not floored. In comarison to the DACs of my Denon 2900 hooked up to my the 1098 with analog interconnects to hooking it straight into the 1098 with digital coaxial, the Denon 2900 produced a more enjoyable sound to my ears. Bigger sound stage, better bass, more detailed and clear sound.

You mentioned that maybe the 1098 exposed my weakest link. Please look in profile of my components(moderator frowns upon listing system components in posts) and advise me of what you might think is my weakest link. I think Ive been really careful in my selection of components but maybe you will see something I dont. Thanks again.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

I'm about to make the move from an RSP 1066 (same as front end of your 1055) to a 1098. As soon as the unit arrives, I will give you my impressions, and perhaps some suggestions. I too have some substantial expectations based on an additional $2000 investment.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• jlee
                  • Aug 2004

NHT: Ok I looked at your profile. Looks like you have carefully chosen components. I don't see any weak links in the system. I really don't know what to suggest now... except maybe the fact you got a 2nd hand unit, there may be something wrong you don't know about? THe only way to test this is with a friend or dealer with a "good known unit"... this may be difficult though... I feel for you... all that hard earned money and worse sound to your ears. Hope you find the solution. Best of luck.

Comment

• NHT
                    • Mar 2004

Dont worry Jlee. I got this covered and Im not going to take it laying down. Although, you were right and it is an open boxed item that I picked up for 2200, Ive already contacted my store and have arranged to trade for a different unit. I will let you know how it goes when I get the different unit. Hope all goes well or I would just have to keep my 1055 for now.

Comment

• shadow
                      • Dec 2003

One heretical thing to consider is that maybe the objective differences between the 1098 and 1055 are not that great. Rotel does a great job bringing high end sound to its lower priced gear. Buyers of higher priced gear always claim the more expensive replacement blows away its predecessor but sometimes this is not true and the differences are subtle. If I were you, I would try another 1098 to make sure that your unit is not defective. If the sound is similar, keep your 1055 and look elsewhere.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Shadow,

Nice if were true - but I've heard the 1055 (which has the old DACs processor etc like the 1066) and IMO the 1098 is a significant step up again for both music and multichannel HT (the rears really come alive on the 1098/1068/1056 hardware / software version compared to the 1055/1066 series... It's pretty noticiable within 60 seconds on good material like the DTS intro to Gladiator or a CD like Nora Jones...

Now if you are talking within a generation, like the current 1056/1067/1068/1098 - then we are talking more subtle differences and I agree it is down to personal preference if the extra $ are bring noticable enough improvement....

Geoff

Comment

• shadow
                          • Dec 2003

Geoff, I am inclined to defer to your experiences with the 1055 v. 1098, since I own the 1056 and certainly hope it improves upon the 1055. However, NHT has a fine amp in the 1095 so he is only comparing the pre/pro sections of the 1098 v. 1055. In reviewing his posts, it appears that he expected a huge upgrade in sound quality. Given that each of us has a different subjective opinion regarding what is better and how much better one product is over another, it may well be that the 1098 cannot possibly reach that subjective level for NHT. If he tries a second 1098 and is still not satisfied, then the problem may be expectations rather than performance.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2003

Shadow,

If he tries a second 1098 and is still not satisfied, then the problem may be expectations rather than performance.
                            Well said

See this OTHER THREAD where I have suggested as much. Really I think a second 1098 is unlikely to be better, in which case I would recommend that NHT needs to quickly return the 1098 for a credit inside the 7 day period. He can then spend some time document the kinds of improvements he is after and go for some long, careful listening to alternative systems - it could be a new processor or speaker or any component that may need to change - but I know from experience that lots of listening using the same source material to different systems will start to hone down what is required....

Of interest (perhaps ) - Earlier this year I reached a point where I wanted more musical clarity with my system (haveing the 1098 already) and after lots of listening and research decided to try various cable upgrades, bi-wiritng, mains filters etc. Many products didn't work and were quickly returned / sold etc, but over time I found some great improvements to my system which I believe would not be achieveable through other means....

Geoff

Comment

• chanlon
                              • Sep 2003

Hi,

I've been following this thread relatively closely and I believe lofty expectations is the true issue here. I recently upgraded to the 1068 from the preamp section on my 972 receiver. Was there a huge difference?
                              No - but in my mind, the extra control, system flexability, subtle details in frequency extremes, etc was worth the price tag. I strongly believe amplification and speakers makes the most noticable difference between systems.

As Geoff mentioned, I believe NHT should return the unit ASAP and look at a different model. I compared the 1098 with the 1068 and felt the 1068 was a better value for the $$$. Sure the 1098 sounded a little more transparent but it did not meet my expectations either.

Chris

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Greetings all,

I previously owned the RSP-1066 and through my retailer's upgrade program went with the RSP-1098. The improvement sonically, was indeed noticeable, as well as other hardware and software improvements, and of course the TFT screen. However in retrospect, the most significant improvement to me, was the Dolby Pro Logic IIx software upgrade allowing true 7.1.

I feel my purchase was justified and worth the upgrade. Perhaps, NHT, since this was an out of box model, it may have had initial issues, it could be an earlier manufactured model, needing the shielding, etc.

I would try a new model to see if the perfomance improves, if not, then perhaps Shadow is correct, it may be your expectations, in which case you will need to look at the higher end models, such as McIntosh, Krell, Classe.

Jimmy, who previously owned a 1098, in his search for audio bliss, purchased the Bryston 1.7 pre-pro (I believe the model is correct), and he is very happy. Perhaps this is the route you need to pursue. I often wonder in our search for audio nirvana, we will ever achieve bliss. My immediate answer is no, we are always looking for improvements, technologies are constantly changing, this characteristic is known more commonly as "upgraditis". I hope this all make sense.

Well, I have digressed enough.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards,

Azeke
                                Last edited by Azeke; 28 September 2004, 17:42 Tuesday.

Comment

• NHT
                                  • Mar 2004

well...I just picked up a replacement for the open box 1098. And guess what? I got a brand new one for $2200. BRAND NEW!! Is that a bargain or what? Well I got high hopes for this one so Im gonna calibrate and test it out all night and Iwll let you guys know what I think.

Comment

• Taito
                                    • Sep 2004

I hope that this one works out for you NHT.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2003

NHT,

Sounds like a bargain - especially if you like the sound!

Good luck - I hope it works out well and meets your expectations!

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NHT
                                        well...I just picked up a replacement for the open box 1098. And guess what? I got a brand new one for $2200. BRAND NEW!! Is that a bargain or what? Well I got high hopes for this one so Im gonna calibrate and test it out all night and Iwll let you guys know what I think.
                                        Good deal pickle,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Good deal :T Hopefully this one will meet your expectations

Jason
                                          Jason

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"