X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Sonic improvements on RSP-1098 firmware upgrade

Anyone else notice the sonic improvements, as well as other improvements on the firmware upgrade (v 1.1.6) of the 1098?

Just curious,

Azeke
  • cofn
    • Dec 2002

I did the upgrade, but I currently don't have a TV, so I have not really had a chance to check tings out HT wise. And I have listened to about 10 mins of music since Wednesday. Hopefully I can check tings out tonight. The only thing I did verify was the DTS ES Discrete bug, and it is officially laid to rest.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

So is the upgrade available? If so, where can I get it?

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

On Rotel's website ...

http://www.rotel.com/support/techups/techup-H20.htm

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I found it right after I sent the last message...thanks!
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Sithlord10
            • Apr 2003

I just put the latest firmware on the 1098 last night. Before I start testing I would like to know if Rotel did improve the decoding with the 1.1.6 firmware or are we just hoping they did. It would be a bonus if they did but it would be great to hear from Rotel. Otherwise well done Rotel for the great support.

Comment

• skipm
              • Jun 2003

sithlord10-

In the release notes, they mention something about tweaking Dolby but they were not very specific. I use Dolby PL II Cin mode when watching TV and last nite I watched Finding Nemo in Dolby Digital 5.1 and I can definitely hear an improvement.

Do the upgrade and let us know what you think.

-Skip

Comment

• Sithlord10
                • Apr 2003

Skipm I've put the update on as I mentioned. I also printed the release notes and they say Quote: Improved decoding of Dolby Digital mono Soundtracks. Corrected a bug causing no CB output when in DTS ES Discrete mode and Adjusted CB levels for DTS Matrix surround mode.
                Theres no mention of improving overall decoding for DD or DTS but it would be great if they have done something and not listed it down. You can read these release notes on Rotels site.

Comment

• skipm
                  • Jun 2003

Sith-

I have read the release notes and the part that is a bit murky to me is "Dolby Digital mono Soundtracks". Dolby Digital is a multi-channel format, not mono, right? So if you want to listen to mono and apply a Dolby sound mode to it, that would be Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema or Music, right? The release notes also mention many tweaks to the other Dolby modes as well, notice the fixes pretaining to the Center Back channels and EX modes. That's why I think that Rotel tweaked the algorithms in the 1098 for all the Dolby modes and that's why I think that Azeke, myself, and others are hearing sonic differences since we upgraded.

-Skip

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Technically no DD doesn't have to be multichannel. DD comes in many flavours that range from DD1.0 all the way to 5.1

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sithlord10
                      Skipm I've put the update on as I mentioned. I also printed the release notes and they say Quote: Improved decoding of Dolby Digital mono Soundtracks.
                      From what I know, the RSP1098 decoded a DD1.0 track as a DD2.0 mono track. So instead of using only the centerspeaker with DD1.0, both frontspeakers were used. Perhaps Rotel have fixed this issue to correct decoding.

Comment

• Sithlord10
                        • Apr 2003

You bring up some interesting points Skipm but I for one would like to have it confirmed by Rotel themselves as they are the developers. As you put it it's a bit Murky so It's not 100% official. My point being is I would like to know if the firmware has improved the 1098 sonically in all departments not specific surround modes as mentioned in the release notes. If Rotel did this why just put dolby mono? Surely they would know that people such as you and I are wanting more specific details on any upgrades performed on our equipment. Denon in the past have provided upgrades to their high end receivers which I sold to buy the 1098 and they provided in detail what the upgrade contained. Any Pc owners out there would know that when new video drivers come out there are detailed notes explaining the improvments, so I would expect such things when my Pre-amp has new firmware. After reading the notes, if Rotel have indeed improved the 1098 sonically overall then we are the winners. Andrew I'm sure you could find out with your contacts at Rotel and put this thread to rest as I'm sure all 1098 owners out there will want to know rather than just speculating.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                          • Feb 2003

I'm in the process of loading the upgrade now. What a PITA unhooking everything and moving next to my PC, next time I may just move my pc although that is probably just as bad. Finding Nemo is cued up and ready to go, impressions to come tomorrow......

Comment

• BladeRnR
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by skipm
                            Sith-

I have read the release notes and the part that is a bit murky to me is "Dolby Digital mono Soundtracks". Dolby Digital is a multi-channel format, not mono, right? So if you want to listen to mono and apply a Dolby sound mode to it, that would be Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema or Music, right? The release notes also mention many tweaks to the other Dolby modes as well, notice the fixes pretaining to the Center Back channels and EX modes. That's why I think that Rotel tweaked the algorithms in the 1098 for all the Dolby modes and that's why I think that Azeke, myself, and others are hearing sonic differences since we upgraded.

-Skip
                            Your logic is flawed. Whilst Dolby Digital is Multi-Channel format (As highlighted by Andrew Pratt) the release notes specifically indicate ROTEL have changed but one of them being Dolby Digital Mono Soundtracks. There is no mention made of any other changes to the Dolby Digital aspect of the 1098 Processor. If there were (As Sithlord indicated) they would have mentioned it in the release notes (Given that it would be fairly significant news one would think).

Right?

Comment

• DSGCobra
                              • Feb 2003

Well I think I am in the minority here but I did the firmware upgrade last night and watched Finding Nemo, I didn't notice any sonic improvements. Top notch quality DVD, but overall the sound seems to be the same as before the upgrade. I orginally had version 1.1.0.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"