X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Power Cord Question

So I got an RLC-1040 and the power cord that came with it was maybe 2 feet :M (on a good day). So I switched it with the power cord on my RB-1080. They were both 14AWG cords but the 1080's was 6 feet (long enough for my RLC-1040). Now the 2 foot cord is to short to be used on my amp. So now the cord I'm using on the RB-1080 is 18AWG.

So basically what I'm asking is the cord is a three prong cord (same as original) but when i read the side of it its only 14AWG and the original was 18AWG. Pose any problem?
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Ferres
    • Jan 2007

'only 14AWG and the original was 18AWG'
    I believe the lower the number the better/thicker it is and can handle more power. So 14awg is better than 18awg.

Your homes inwall wiring is typically 11awg.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Did you buy the 1040 used? The cord that should come with it is easily 6' and at least 14AWG (and it's at least 5/8" thick).

In either case the lower the AWG number, the thicker the cable. You second line contradicts the first some I'm not quite sure what cord is where, but I wouldn't run either the RLC or the RB on an 18 AWG power cord.

Kevin D.

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I agree with Kevin. I would not run the 1080 nor the 1040 with an 18 guage PC. The 14 guage should be fine, and fairly well shielded.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BWLover
          So basically what I'm asking is the cord is a three prong cord (same as original) but when i read the side of it its only 14AWG and the original was 18AWG. Pose any problem?
          It might restrict dynamics for one thing. See the following link. The author of the post is a highly regarded amp designer.

Originally posted by Ferres
          Your homes inwall wiring is typically 11awg.
          Its actually 10 AWG for 30A circuits, 12 AWG for 20A circuits, and 14 AWG for 15A circuits In North America. There is no 11 AWG for branch circuit wiring.

Comment

• BWLover
            • Jan 2009

Yes sorry there was a typing error.

The original cord that came with the RLC-1040 (yes it was used) was 14AWG

And the original on the RB-1080 was 14AWG, and I am now using a 18AWG cord.
            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
            Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
            Playstation 3
            Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

The specified power consumption of the 1080 is 550W. I have seen and owned amps in the 200 -330 w.p.c. range over the years with captive and detachable power cords of 18 and 16 gauge. However, since the original cord on the 1080 was 14 gauge, that is the minimum size you should use.

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

wow these cords are hard to find. I'm on my phone right now looking for one. I went to future shop, home depot, totem, and wal mart. and all of them have only 18AWG cords. I'm off to Canadian tire to see if they have one.
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

If you're looking for a cord for the RLC-1040, contact APC and ask them if you can purchase one from them.

Eric

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

Here's an option:

RAM Electronics power cord (Belden shielded cable, Marinco commercial grade plug, Schurter IEC plug) 6 feet @ $46.74:

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I just got a pwr cord from this company link for my RB 1090 amp.

I could not have made a cord for the same money with the same quality of components.
                      Based on only one purchase, I can recommend them for basic power cables.
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ferres
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Glen B
                        It might restrict dynamics for one thing. See the following link. The author of the post is a highly regarded amp designer.

Its actually 10 AWG for 30A circuits, 12 AWG for 20A circuits, and 14 AWG for 15A circuits In North America. There is no 11 AWG for branch circuit wiring.
                        ops: Sorry. I'm in a different country.

Comment

• Ferres
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BWLover
                          wow these cords are hard to find. I'm on my phone right now looking for one. I went to future shop, home depot, totem, and wal mart. and all of them have only 18AWG cords. I'm off to Canadian tire to see if they have one.
                          Personally, I wouldn't think it would make a big difference for the 1080 to use the 18AWG cord, as long as it's of good quality. It's not that much of a power hog in real world terms. I would worry more with a 1090.

What's more important is to have the thicker 14AWG cord connected to the wall socket.

Comment

• Glen B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2004

ops: Sorry. I'm in a different country.
                            That's why it good to put at least the country where you live in your profile.

Personally, I wouldn't think it would make a big difference for the 1080 to use the 18AWG cord, as long as it's of good quality. It's not that much of a power hog in real world terms. I would worry more with a 1090.
                            Did you read the post by Ralph Karsten, company CEO and designer of Atma-Sphere amplifiers, on the effects of wire gauge in power cords ?
                            What's more important is to have the thicker 14AWG cord connected to the wall socket.
                            Agreed.

Comment

• BWLover
                              • Jan 2009

Yeah, thats why i used the 14AWG for the power conditioner.
                              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                              Playstation 3
                              Shaw HD PVR

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"