X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Modular Audio Source Monoblock Amplifiers

I've been on the search for quite some time for a good amplifier to use for powering tactile transducers. (also called bass shakers) I needed raw power, preferably 250W per channel or more, but didn't need exceptional audio fidelity due to me driving tactile transducers, not efficient audible speakers.

I was looking at verious products from many different types of companies, trying to get a lot of power at a low cost. Several products from professional audio companies were possibilities, giving several channels of amplification in one unit. However, cost never matched up, and many models had less than ideal connections for a home audio setup, using items like 1/4" headphone-style plugs. After a long search, I came up with the perfect solution--the "5 Series" amplifiers from Audio Source.

These individual amplifiers come in three sizes, the 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3. Since the 5.3's are rated for 250W each into 4 Ohms, that became my model of choice. They are modular in nature, built long and slender, each one designed to control a single mono channel. You can then stack amplifiers next to and on top of each other as needed, even mixing and matching models as needed, including a modular pre-amp that Audio Source also offers. Both unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR connections are available on each one.

Several additional aspects of these amps make them perfect for my tactile transducers:
    1. With the modular design, I'm able to fit six units into 19" audio rack mount chassis also sold by Audio Source, making a powerful but still fairly compact setup that looks fantastic.
    2. Since each amp has its own output level (volume) control knob, I can now control the tactile shaking level of each seat individually. This is very convenient, since with other amps I was considering I would have had to fiddle with multiple balance and level knobs each time an individual seat needed to be adjusted. Many amplifiers have no adjustments at all.

3. The 5 Series amps also include an unbalanced RCA output. This allows me to "daisy-chain" the six amps together, one to the next, instead of splitting the output signal from my system pre/processor six times, using multiple Y-cords. Much cleaner on the back connections. On that note, the same principle is available for the unit power cords, daisy-chaining all the amps together and then running only one cord to a power outlet instead of running 6 individual cords.

Right off the bat, I was impressed with the construction of the units. Each amplifier has a solid black metal casing, with a nice black machined metal faceplate. The volume knob has a nice feel to it, with many intermediate mini-detents to routinely select a consistent output level. Two buttons on the faceplate, for a selectable low-frequency cutoff and phase selection, have a solid feel and operation, although they can be difficult to tell which position they're in by look or even touch. It takes a push or two to differentiate which position is which.

Front operation lights look nice, with one for the power switch, and an LED each for power protection, peak output clipping, and signal presence. The signal LED will flicker with the output, which could be distracting in some installations. For me, it will work fine in a sealed cabinet. A front headphone "monitor" jack and rear panel connectors have gold-colored plating with a nice construction. On the rear panel is also a voltage selector for worldwide use and a "auto/manual" power switch that can even make the unit turn on automatically when a signal is sensed, then turn off to save power when one is not. Once mounted together in the rack chassis, units are held in place with multiple screws, making one solid piece of equipment.

Since I don't yet have my actual tactile transducers, I tested out the amplifiers on a set of Klipsch speakers I had out for demonstration. They produced a nice, solid sound through the speakers, although not quite as full as my reference-quality theater audio amplifier I normally use to drive them. Interestingly enough, I found that a slight audible buzz started in the speakers when I selected the 180 degree phase change button. But since I don't anticipate using this feature for transducers, this should be a moot point for me.

I found power to be very satisfactory, driving the output volume on both my pre/processor and the Audio Source amplifiers to almost maximum capacity on the Digital Video Essentials DVD video demonstrations before maxing out amplifier power, causing intermittent "peak" LED illumination. The RCA signal output feature worked with no noticeable signal loss or distortion, allowing me to reproduce the same signal in multiple channels without having to run multiple additional interconnects.

For now, I'm very happy with these units, and don't think I could have asked for amplifiers that are more perfectly designed for my particular purposes. I'll post more information as I use these units more in the future.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

One question that I need help with--If you look at the pictures, you'll see how the back panel is setup to chain amplifiers together with power cords. Does anyone know where I can buy the power cords I need to do this? I don't know that I've ever seen that kind of cord, with one end the typical female power plug, and one end the matching male plug.

CHRIS
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Come on, nobody knows where I can get those cables? Somebody must have a clue.

CHRIS
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I've seen them before but I have no idea where you'd find them. You might try a local computer store?

Comment

• brucek
          HTG Expert
          • Aug 2000

On that note, the same principle is available for the unit power cords, daisy-chaining all the amps together and then running only one cord to a power outlet instead of running 6 individual cords.
          Wouldn't it be cheaper to use the regular AC cords that were supplied with the units and plug them into an inexpensive power bar?

I suppose you could always just make your own though, from the regular cords that were supplied, by cutting off one end and attaching a purchased male IEC connector. This would allow you to make them a short custom length.

Pre-made, they are usually associated with the computer world (see link). Kinda expensive though. I'd make my own if you're really bent on the idea.

or
          Eaton provides products and expert advice to help its customers safely power and connect their computers and electronics.

Watch out here for wire size and power consumption. Supplying six 250 watt amplifiers (1500watts) with a single cord requires a suitable gauge. Maybe daisy three together and use a single cord from that three and do the same with the second three. Will you be using one dedicated 15amp circuit to power these six amps?

brucek

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Here ya go PC monitor cords

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brucek
              HTG Expert
              • Aug 2000

I guess I should be clearer on my gauge caveat and the max of three daisy chained monoblocks.

Note that Thomas's suggestion is an 18 gauge power cord. That's fine for handling currents of 5 amps and would power a computer or one of these monoblocks. If you daisy chained six 250 watt monoblocks together, the first daisy chain extension cable would have the current for five of the downstream monoblocks running through it.

Five 250 watt monoblocks might be considered to require a power cord that could handle 1250 watts (around 10 amps). No, they don't draw that much current likely ever, but a 250 watt amp should be at least equipped with a power cord that would be able to supply current for 250 watts.

My point is:
              Don't daisy chain x6 250 watt monoblocks with 18 gauge extension jumpers.

Either use the cords supplied with each amp connected to a power bar or daisy chain only three monoblocks together. :idea:

brucek

Comment

• Bent
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2003

I would run a 20 amp circuit from my distribution panel with #12/2 conductor, into a three gang receptacle box, and marrette (wire nut) off to each of the three receptacles. this would allow the OEM power cords and not exceed the ampacity of the primary supply cord.

Comment

• Bent
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2003

Ioops, double post.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Ok just to make Bruce happy...... 8O

Buy 6 of these and 6 of these then build you own cords :bluezoned:

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brucek
                      HTG Expert
                      • Aug 2000

Right on Thomas, and I especially like the rhodium plated ones at $99.95 the best.
                      He may as well pick up some of this AC cord for $26.95 a foot at the same time to really complete the job properly.

:LOL:

brucek

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... hmmm... somehow, I don't think I'm going to end up spending big bucks on these cables. Really, it's just a nice convenience to clean up the cabling mess and not have to use ***6*** different outlets. If this cable hunt gets too troublesome or expensive, I'll just use individual wall cables.

I've had similar thoughts about how many amps to chain together, and I do think it would be best if I coupled each rack of 3 amps each. That way each rack has a cord to the wall, and I only need 4 smaller cables of the male-female ends. Only 750 Watts max per rack, instead of coupling all 1500 max watts through one cable.

I've wired my equipment area with two dedicated power circuits, each one 20 amps and terminated in a 4-plug quad outlet. I'll be splitting my various equipment power needs between those two circuits, so I should be fine, even with all these 6 amps and my 7-channel speaker amps.

Thanks for the input, guys! Those computer power cable extension cords look like they're just the thing, even though I only need them 6 inches long, not 6 feet.

CHRIS
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• efarstad
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2001

Here ya go buddy!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                          E-Cinema

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Grrrrrrrrr..... :banghead: I swear I checked Parts Express for power cords before I put in my last order a couple weeks ago, and didn't find anything. That figures that they're made by Audio Source themselves, too. Thanks, Erik! Exactly what I need--now I just have to put in a new Parts Express order. Hmmmm.... while I'm at it, maybe I can use this as an excuse to get a few 'extra" theater items...

CHRIS
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• efarstad
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jun 2001

Anytime...those will make connecting everything a lot easier!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                              E-Cinema

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Those appear to be the same gauge as the monitor cables Bruce specifically said not to use.

Caveat emptor.....

theAudioWorx
                                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• efarstad
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jun 2001

Good point Thomas...but these are the one's AudioSource says to use...so hopefully if Chris goes that route, they'll be fine.

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                  E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                  E-Cinema

Comment

• efarstad
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jun 2001

Also...here's a GREAT price on this amp:

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                    E-Cinema

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"