X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spencer171
    • May 2003

RSX-1055 Problem (seems defective)

Hmm...well, I just bought a brand new RSX-1055. I plugged it into the wall and pressed power. The amps seemed to turn on, but there was no display or the osd. Basically, it just sits there doing nothing. However, the IR sensor seems to be operational as I can hit power on it and it will work. In addition, the software upgrade function seems to be operational as well, and I tried the newest firmware. (Though, obviously I'm not entirely sure that I know which version I have as I can't see the display, I'm assuming that since its so new its probably version 2.) Nothing seems to get the receiver to work. Am I missing something or is it defective?

-Jack
  • Ninipc
    • Apr 2003

?!
    try to push OSD button on the remote continuously? (probably not that but...)

---------------------------
    Sorry for my English h:
    ---------------------------
    Sorry for my English

Comment

• spencer171
      • May 2003

Well, I tried that anyway, even though I knew it wouldn't work. I suppose I ought to have made it a little clearer, neither the front panel display nor the osd, nor anything else for that matter seem to be working...

-Jack

Comment

• Neal_C
        • Feb 2003

Well, its another long shot, but maybe they upgraded the firmware and forgot to put the switches back in the off position. You are experiencing exactly the same symptoms as you are supposed to get when you do a firmware upgrade...you hear the amps click on, but no OSD and no front panel display.

Or maybe the firmware got botched at the factory.

Just another thought..

Neal

Comment

• simonb68
          • Jan 2003

Did you need to toggle the firmware update switch to do the update, in other words, was the unit possibly shipped in this state, and did you toggle them back after. If so then this may correct the problem.

EDIT: Oh well someone beat me to it - started this reply a while ago then got distracted, and have only just come back to it

Comment

• spencer171
            • May 2003

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that the dip switches are in the right place. It isn't exactly the same as when they aren't. When you are in software programming mode, the power led doesn't come on either. Its just very odd...I mean even though it doesn't seem to work, I successfully uploaded a new firmware, which means its partly working. I would have assumed that that would have fixed it if the firmware was screwed up at the factory...ah well. I'll just have my dealer look at it and replace it if necessary. Thanks for the help however.

Jack

Comment

• Neal_C
              • Feb 2003

I don't remember exactly where on the box or specifically how it is written, but if you have a 2.xx model, it should say "V2", or something of that manner, on the box. I would check, but its up in the attic.

Eventhough you got one recently, it isn't guaranteed you got a Version 2.

It is possible something was wrong with the firmware from the factory and that you upgraded a version 1 unit with version 2 firmware.

At any rate, when you find out what is wrong with it, let us know.

Good luck.

Neal

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Seems silly, but are they using a black plastic cover on the display now?
                Some people think the display is scratched, but they put a protective plastic film over it. Maybe thats black now

Comment

• RogueAngel
                  • Jun 2002

Another possibility. The RSX-1055 does have a stand by mode. In this mode when you press the power button on the unit it turns off and press again it goes into stand by. In stand by the power button is red but there is no display and you cannot start the unit from the power button. You can only start the unit from the remote. If you can operate the unit from the remote then it is probably set for stand by mode. This can be changed from the menu.

Hope this is all it is.

Good luck
                  Bobbi

Comment

• spencer171
                    • May 2003

I am pretty certain that it was a version 2, though I no longer have the box for it (nor the unit itself). I made the assumption based on the unit being new, having the new 1050 remote, and including the upgrade cable. Besides, it wasn't working before I tried to update it anyway. Good thought though - I am fairly certain it was some sort of firmware issue, don't know what exactly though. The standby idea was a good one, I had read that in the manual too. However, it really didn't respond to the remote very well - but I could tell it was at least sometimes getting the signal. Unfortunately, the buttons didn't really do anything. It doesn't matter now though. I went to my dealer, and I should have a new unit hopefully by Wednesday. If anyone is in the Cleveland area, I heartily recommend Audio Visions as they have been nothing but good to me. Hopefully the new one will not give me issues. Thanks for all your help guys.

-Jack

Comment

• spencer171
                      • May 2003

Just an update - the previous unit was definitely malfunctioning. But, after a little waiting, I got my new unit and it is working perfectly! I can't believe the sound I get out of it - I'm so glad I went with the Rotel rather than the other choices I had. It sounds even better than in the showroom (and that's saying something)! This forum has been a great resource (even though I mostly just lurk). I just want to thank everyone again for their suggestions, I really appreciated it.

-Jack

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"