• Spoonfed
    • Sep 2004

RSX 1055 cheap or 1056

I have a Denon 1602 i wish to upgrade.

Mains are Quad 12L's
    Quad Centre
    Wharfedale delta rears
    HSU VTF-2 sub

My aim is outright sound quality 2ch and mulitchannel improvement.

I can get a 1055 for $1500AUD and a 1056 for $2250

Im thinking the 1055 is much better value (and more in my budget).

What "differences" are there....... seem fairly similar.

Ok on the 1055.

I need to be able to "setup" the system without a display as my display is feed VGA and i will not always have it on when the 1055 will be used (ie use a VGA to LCD touch screen etc). Can all the settings be changed on the LCD? (i figured all recievers could.... but noticed mates 3803 could not.... amazing).

Also as i feed "digital" from a HTPC i need to know how good it handles such.
    DTV here on channel change switches MPEG Audio (feed PCM) and DD 2.0 and 5.1 etc so it NEEDS to be like my 1602 ie audio "decoding" in the reciever changes immediately.... or at least very quickly.

I have heard issues here with NAD and HK units ....... are Rotel the same?

Any opinions would be great.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If your goal is better surround and two channel go for the 1056 if you have the budget. Better decoding, better bass management etc. There's a price difference for a reason

There likely will be a short delay when changing sound formats due to the higher quality though slower mechanical relays used. IMO the better sound quality of Rotel is worth a 1 second delay...YMMV

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• lifeinabox
      • Jun 2004

While the 1056 is certainly an improvement on the 1055, you have to consider how significant of a jump up the 1055 will already be from your Denon. That's a pretty significant price difference to justify the marginal improvement from 1055 to 1056.

I'd stick with the 1055. The DACs/processing on the 1056 are undoubtedly an improvement, but if you're talking analog then they should be pretty comparable since DACs are no longer an issue.

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lifeinabox
        While the 1056 is certainly an improvement on the 1055, you have to consider how significant of a jump up the 1055 will already be from your Denon. That's a pretty significant price difference to justify the marginal improvement from 1055 to 1056.

I'd stick with the 1055. The DACs/processing on the 1056 are undoubtedly an improvement, but if you're talking analog then they should be pretty comparable since DACs are no longer an issue.

Actually....sound wise the 1056 reigns supreme....by quite a bit actually....I have compared them side by side......

Can you compare them side by side for a listening ?

I would not only go for the 1056....I did
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I agree, from all reports the new models do better 2-channel as well.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aud19
            I agree, from all reports the new models do better 2-channel as well.

Jason
            Well I agree with you Jason! :lol:

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

Bam, you are my hero. You did a side by side with the 1055 - 1056? I have wanted to and not been able. 2 channel is considerably better with the 1056? My 1055 thru RMB-1075 got real boaring after getting rid of my RSP-980 wich sounded oh so sweet. I miss not being able to tell where the sound is coming from, and having the cat turn and look quickly as if to say "what was that". The 1068 has that 2 channel sound as I demo'ed one, but if I could get the tuner, 5 extra channels of amp, and sweet 2 channel sound I will take a $1300 plunge. Thanx, Bob

Comment

• Spoonfed
                • Sep 2004

thanks for the feedback.

in a recent HiFi news (AV Tech) comparo the 1056 did very well....... while i think the 3805 one "best value" when 5.1 was only needed the 1056 had the best sound.

I though maybe the 1055 would be pretty much the same..... but it seems not.. perhaps even a "rung" down on the 3805 or similar.

$

Comment

• lifeinabox
                  • Jun 2004

For every great review of the 1056, I can point you to an equally as positive review of the 1055. Don't be misled into thinking the 1055 is a mediocre receiver just because there is a new and improved model. The 1055 will undoubtedly be an upgrade over your Denon any way you slice it.

What's your source? Cabling? $750 could go along way in other areas and I assume it's not chump change to you. Otherwise, you wouldn't be asking.

Maybe its a matter of perspective. Here in the US if I had to pay 50% more for a 1056 over 1055, I'd be looking upmarket at other brands or at least at Rotel separates. Or I could upgrade my run of the mill DVD player and get a nice Arcam or Rotel CD player. Options abound. I'm not saying it's an easy decision but there are factors other than absolute performance to consider.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

This is true, the 1055 is by no means a "slouch" and would compare well to even newer recievers in regards to just sound quality. It's only downside would be it's older processing capabilities and the fact that the 1056 from all acounts sounds better, (both digital and analog). Spoonfed stated he wanted "...outright sound quality 2ch and mulitchannel..." IMO that's the 1056 (of the choices given). Only he can decide if it's worth the extra money though...

Another option you might explore is to temporarily retain your Denon for just pre/pro duties (does it have the appropriate pre-outs?) and start by buying a 1075 or 1080 amp (or both if you can swing it, try looking for used/demo ones) and then upgrade the processor later. You might be able to find a good deal on a used/demo model 1068 later on.... :P

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• Spoonfed
                      • Sep 2004

No preouts bar sub on the Denon

Though i from what i have hear adding a power amp does not always work well on cheaper/older receivers.

An example is a mates setup. Onkyo 676 (i think) to a 3 channel rotel power..... mains Quad 22L's..... rest M&K......... changing the receiver to a 3805 made a very noticable improvement........ removing the rotel power and using just the 3803 was VERY suttle...... and still MUCH better than the onkyo+rotel.

August's Hifi News (AV Tech) review seemed to favour the 1056 for sound.... with 3805 following..... then pioneer AX5...... then last was the Yammy 2400, HK 630 and very suprisingly the Arcam AVR300!

Only down side is a the 5.1 of the rotel..... though i only want 5.1... at least it has 8ch in/out thingy (does the 1055?)

How much difference are we talking in "processing" here? (1055 v 1056)? Night an day or very suttle? It seem the amp section is the same ? (or not?)

Next month (well this month in the UK) HiFi News AV Tech looks at the digital Harman Kardon DPR2005 which i am interested in. I think i may wait and see what they say.

If its not good then i think i will get one of the rotels......... hmmmm. The store is a bit tough in not "loaning" stuff...... they do a have 7 day return policy at least...

what does the 1056 "street" for in the US/UK? Just so i can get an idea what i should be able to screw em down to (oh alsot he RRP for comparison)

The retailer is also the rotel distributor...... so really there is no reason not for a good price (bar they are pricks)........ oh not many if any others sell rotel.... monopoly

PS: The 1055 they have is all Black (a good thing). Does the 1056 come in all black...... i want to HEAR my HT audio gear not see it! (ie full dark projector room)...... not to mention silver looks cheap.... though this rotel is not as bad as some at least.

PSSSSSSSS: Can either/both of the 1055/1056 be setup/operated without OSD (something if feel ALL AVR should be capable of). I ask as it doesn't switch VGA or DVI and hence my display(s) are not hooked up for the other stuff

Comment

• farbs
                        • Jun 2004

If it helps I had the same decision to make not so long ago.
                        I ended getting the 1055 for $1300AUS, so the price difference was a major factor in the decision making. I was able to get my rear spekers with the difference and still have money left over. I plan to add the 1075 amp soon so to me personally it wasn't worth the extra money, as to me anyway, the sound was difference subtle. (but everyones ears and wallets are different) Also it doesn't sound like you will be using the amp for video switching which I believe is better in the 1056.
                        To sum up I couldn't be happier as it was major improvement in what I had previously.
                        Good luck with your decision.

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
                          Bam, you are my hero. You did a side by side with the 1055 - 1056? I have wanted to and not been able. 2 channel is considerably better with the 1056? My 1055 thru RMB-1075 got real boaring after getting rid of my RSP-980 wich sounded oh so sweet. I miss not being able to tell where the sound is coming from, and having the cat turn and look quickly as if to say "what was that". The 1068 has that 2 channel sound as I demo'ed one, but if I could get the tuner, 5 extra channels of amp, and sweet 2 channel sound I will take a $1300 plunge. Thanx, Bob

I answered your PM!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"