X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadow
    • Dec 2003

1056 and 4 Ohm loads

Any members have experience with the 1055/1056 receiver driving four ohm loads? I am considering buying a 1056 to drive a five channel home theater with Martin Logan Aerius and Cinema up front and Axiom QS 4s for the rear. My room is smallish (17 x 13) and I do not listen a very loud levels. Is this receiver up to driving four ohm speakers? I note that the manual does not recommend four ohm speakers with this receiver.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

It should be fine at low to moderate volumes. For anything aproaching loud you may find it a bit lacking and a nice 2-channel 1070/1080 might be benneficial. Or go all out and get a 1068/1075.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

While the Rotel's should be able to power the 4 ohm loads those Martin Logan's deserve more power then the receiver to really make them shine.

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Hey guys!

Actually really good question here...I was or am lookin' into buying some Angstrom speakers that were 4 ohm... :cry: I realized....problemo with the 1056....I know I could go buy a really sweet 2 channel 4 ohm amp driven by the Pre amp of 1056....but still what are the problems that could happen driving a 4 ohm speaker on a 1056.....You are doubling your wattage are you not. Therefore you are doubling your amperage....Could be a Problemo...Yes or No ?

Merci. :
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Bam! that's technically true so long as the power supply can keep up with the current demands and handle the extra heat generated...typically what happens is that the powersupply can't double its output so you usually don't get double the power into 4 ohms even though there's less resistance shown to the amp...even the mega buck amps that on paper show a true doubleing are sometimes just deflating the actual 8 ohm rating to make it appear as if it can double up. Anyway to the Rotel's at hand...they won't shut down with a 4 ohm load but they will run much hotter and will need all the cooling space you can give them. My point above though was that Martin Logan's shouldn't powered with any receiver as they deserve cleaner more robust power then most receivers are capable of generating

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Definately agree with what Andrew said. I mean why go out and buy fantastic speakers and then drive them with "merely" decent power. Those speakers deserve more and clean power from a decicated amp.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• shadow
              • Dec 2003

Well, in the past I have driven these speakers with a Denon 4800 and B&K 307 with no problems and lots of power. However, the feature set on these receivers does not compare with the 1056. The local dealer claims he has cutomers with these speakers and the 1056 and they work fine together, but I am skeptical.

Comment

• shadow
                • Dec 2003

Reality occasionally raises its head from time to time. :roll: I am well aware of the effect of good amps on speakers, but my current financial situation will not allow a separate amp now. I need to know if this receiver can drive four ohm loads or not and if it can do it well. As I mentioned earlier, my previous Denon had plenty of power for these speakers but the sound quality left something to be desired.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Well I'm sure they do work "fine" together. But do you want them to work "fine" or do you want them to sing? You, your ears and your wallet have to figure that one out

Get your dealer to do a demo (preferably with your model ML's) and if not at least with some similarly difficult to drive speakers with the 1056 alone, with say a 1080, a 1068/1075 ... etc..

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Sorry just read your last post after posting mine :lol: Have you considered looking at a used amp? You can get some REALLY nice gear at darn cheap prices if you shop around.

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"